Gale

Labrador

Just seen on this morning TV BBC wx forecast they say gusts in Norfolk could hit 80 mph  - That's serious, structural damage and the like.  Time to put in every reef possible, the rag-n-Sticks might have to use storm sails!  Thank goodness 'B.A' is tucked up in the shed, mind you at 80mph that's no guarantee she'll be safe

Griff

Ive been awake since 4.30. Waiting for it to get a bit lighter before I go outside to check if there is any damage.  I get pretty freaked out with weather like this since a few years ago when a massive oak tree came down near me when I was walking the dogs. I dont mind any other weather. 

Over 300 999 calls since 5am, all the boys and girls from night shift staying on to assist. Many major and minor roads blocked. Wheelie bins going up the road like Daleks.

30,000 plus homes without power

Please be careful.

Oh yes and I lost my fence and Gazebo to boot.

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just seen on this morning TV BBC wx forecast they say gusts in Norfolk could hit 80 mph  - That's serious, structural damage and the like.  Time to put in every reef possible, the rag-n-Sticks might have to use storm sails!  Thank goodness 'B.A' is tucked up in the shed, mind you at 80mph that's no guarantee she'll be safe

Griff

There's no guarantee there'll still be a shed, Griff!    :default_badday:

Well that was an interesting Drive in.....

I opened the back door to be thrust backwards as the wind took over, it was a struggle to pull it closed behind me,,

Walked to the gate, and opened it, times like this it was a good choice of having an open mesh gate, I'd have never got it open if it was solid.

Got into the car clinging onto the door to stop it getting slammed open,  put the lights on to see the black bin being sucked out of it's cupboard, shortly followed by the green bin.

Got back out of the car while clinging onto the door, went and collected bins from driveway and brought them inside the gates, and laid the bins down on the grass.

Got into the car clinging onto the door to stop it getting slammed open, drove forward of the gates,

Got back out of the car while clinging onto the door..closed gates,

Got into the car clinging onto the door to stop it getting slammed open, had difficulty pulling door closed against the wind..

Drove off...

Began the many twiggy bits and occasional branch slalom.

Reached the next village, Began the many green bins, many twiggy bits and occasional branch slalom.

Left village and eventually reached the Cremated Swan, slalom there round all the cones all over the place, luckily the scafolding is holding up...

Reached Stalham, green bin and trampoline (12ft diameter) slalom.

Reached A149, good for the first bit then it turned accross the wind every time I passed a farm gate the car got thrown bodily across the road...

Many more twiggy bits...

Reached Hoveton surprisingly little problem , until...

Joined and Enormous queue of traffic behind a high sided vehicle, when we left Wroxham, it didnt go over 30 on a straight 60mph road but with this wind I don't blame him.

I do blame the red BMW idiot driving so close behind me that I couldn't see his lights, even when we got past the Artic and were up to the now 50 limit...

Got to the NDR many temporary signs down but held in place by sandbags..

Left NDR, drove a few hundred yards and over a road sign lying flat in the road., a few hundred yards later and over the debris of a fir tree that had been cleared to the side of the road.

Got to work, had difficulty pushing the door open against the wind...

While doing all this there were many reports of trees down across the county, some trains stopped..

Weather Womble reports gusts of 70 to 80 MPH the peak of which wonn't clear till 09:00

Oh I forgot the fence panel, barge board off a house and we must have had a serious amount of rain last night judging by the puddles..

• Sad 1

We from the being on the river perspective , lucky I was facing into most of it and there sure were some very strong gusts as bad as I've seen for a long time , damage wise nothing to report nothing absent .

At least its calmed down now and I can sail safely but I sure glad I wasn't sailing between 5.30- 7am :default_biggrin: