Its Been Cold

Thanks Charlie, 

You do not see that everyday.

I am currently watching the news, you would think that we are suffering Armageddon, what is being shown is what we get in an average snow shower.

I regard unpassable conditions are when the snow is so deep that you can longer get any forward motion. Any journeys in the snow you should have the correct tyres, grips or chains and have a spade, warm clothes, drinks, food etc.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

the problem we are having in kent at the moment is freezing rain, it comes down liquid but turns instantly to ice, multiple pile ups on the m20 this morning, the M2 was shut coastbound as I came through to work just after 6 am, and didnt reopen until nearly 11 am, on my side of the road was a van on its side, not sure what the other carriageway was like.

• Sad 1

Having big problems in the Medwat Towns with ice on snow and the freezing rain.

Lots of condenser boilers suffering frozen condensate pipes which cause the boiler to shut down.  Done five today and I am not a plumber. 

Easy fix,  pour boiling water over the pipe outside,  clear the ice and then reset the boiler.

Our yard gates freeze shut overnight and the yard is an ice rink.

The main roads are mostly ok but the side roads are a no go without a 4x4.

Soon be spring :default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

https://www.facebook.com/amandagmonroe/videos/10155651501151843/

dpeaks for itself the sea freezing on rolling up the beach

That's nothing compared with 62/63 winter,compared with today's exaggerated descriptive terminology I'm surprised that I and the rest of the country's population survived it. Its been cold and we've had some heavy snow, the trouble is too many drivers haven't got a clue how to drive to the conditions, they are only taught how to pass the test, not how to DRIVE.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

62/63, Mmm! Very few had central heating or double glazing, I know we didn’t and yet thought nothing of the far more severe winters we had then.(North Yorkshire type winters)

By modern standards it’s a miracle we survived. 

That said at my age I do enjoy the modern standards of comfort, even on my boat.

I was in York for that winter.

Thinking back to 1963, I can remember the sea freezing over and standing on the old pier looking at it. I do wonder if modern technology is partly to blame for the way we are now. Back in the 50s and 60s we mostly had coal fires, these days the computer run heating systems seem not to be able to cope with anything outside the norm. I don’t remember schools closing back in the day and we had to walk there too, however far it was. The radiators that ran off the coal fired boilers were huge but coped well. School janitors made sure of that. Is there such a thing nowadays?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Labrador said:

That's nothing compared with 62/63 winter,compared with today's exaggerated descriptive terminology I'm surprised that I and the rest of the country's population survived it. Its been cold and we've had some heavy snow, the trouble is too many drivers haven't got a clue how to drive to the conditions, they are only taught how to pass the test, not how to DRIVE.

The winter of 63 we had an out side loo, no double glazing a coal fire, got to school every day, on foot. There was ice on the inside of bedroom windows... I remember the snow started boxing day in Brentwood and then the big freeze. the ground was still frozen in mid march as my grand fathers burial had to be put off as the grave diggers couldnt dig ( no mechanical diggers then). I could go on about that winter. February 1956 was much better but far worse than this years...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Apparently Network South East have closed ALL rain transport for the region due to problems with the freezing rain.

Not good if you got to work by train earlier..

Southeastern has had problems since wednesday.On Wednesday it took me four hours to get into work, okay getting home.Yesterday no early trains, so I did a tour of London not to bad getting home. 

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I was three and in Singapore  :default_biggrin:

You’re a spring chicken then!

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Tell me about it and the newspaper for toilet paper, later we went onto izal

Ah, those were the days! Used Izal around a comb too, played a grand tune. 

• Like 2

63 - I was 3 and we had just moved to Ashford. I am told that my parents could not get a coal merchant to supply them, as it was regular customers first. when they moved in there was a line of conifers down the fence line, by the end of the freeze most had been burned to keep us warm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

when they moved in there was a line of conifers down the fence line, by the end of the freeze most had been burned to keep us warm.

Now that's a cunning plan,  I have just had 50 x 60 foot conifers reduced to 15 feet,  shame the tree man took them away,  oh and I haven't got a wood burner.

Now that's a cunning plan,  I have just had 50 x 60 foot conifers reduced to 15 feet,  shame the tree man took them away,  oh and I haven't got a wood burner.
Conifers are very bad for your chimney.

Especially when they haven't been burned yet.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was 11 at the time of the big freeze of 1963, it started on boxing day and lasted until March, It was warmer at school than it was at home. We only had the coal fire and a paraffin heater in the bathroom to stop the pipes freezing .

I remember that the snow was more than 2 feet deep and deeper where it had drifted, some of the teachers came to school on skies, of course most teacher lived within walking distance from the school at that time.

Here is a link I have found, there are others but this shows you a little of the time.

Regards 

Alan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

The winter of 63 we had an out side loo, no double glazing a coal fire, got to school every day, on foot. There was ice on the inside of bedroom windows...

Sounds like every winter living aboard.. It's when the loo freezes when it's a pain...

• Haha 3