Its Been Cold

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:57, ranworthbreeze said:

I was 11 at the time of the big freeze of 1963, it started on boxing day and lasted until March, It was warmer at school than it was at home. We only had the coal fire and a paraffin heater in the bathroom to stop the pipes freezing .

I remember that the snow was more than 2 feet deep and deeper where it had drifted, some of the teachers came to school on skies, of course most teacher lived within walking distance from the school at that time.

Here is a link I have found, there are others but this shows you a little of the time.

Regards 

Alan

A good watch......the past week weren't so bad after all. Thanks.

It's sooo funny:

When it's hot it's global warming / climate change

When it's cold it's global warming / climate change

When it's dry it's global warming / climate change

When it's wet it's global warming / climate change 

Anyone spot what's a little odd here? Naa dont 't worry the science is settled, (God help Gallileo /Einstein et al) so stop talking about it and spend loads of other people's money fighting thermodynamics. No altermative opinions on mitigation necessary /required or tolerated.

Irony is such fun....

• Haha 4

I need to get a bigger 4x4 to help offset this cooling,  or have I got it wrong again :default_gbxhmm:
Absolutely - what else could have caused the Medieval Warming Period? After that it was only electric vehicles (charged up from peat-fired power stations) that got us out of the Little Ice Age of Charles Dickens' time (read his diary) when the Thames froze over and Polar Bears magically appeared on the Arctic ice floes. Most interestingly, CO2 was historically 10s of times greater than before we had diesel lorries and heavy industry. How did they remove it, and where has it gone?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I partly experienced the 1978/79 "Schneekatastrophe" (Snow Catastrophy) in Northern Germany.  This was whilst we were commisioning the JADE High-Energy Physics experiment at DESY.

I'd been in the UK over Christmas & New Year, returned early January to Hamburg to find 1metre of snow at the side of the roads. After another spell in UK I was back when in mid February a strongy icy wind (=gale) blew from the East which later added fresh snow (-18 C).     The only things that could move on the streets were army tanks!  Mid-March there was a third massive snowfall with temperatures around freezing.

My future father-in-law (I hadn't yet met my GF at that stage) was the police chief in the town of Husum which was cut-off from the rest of Germany & he had to organise supplies to farmers in Nordfriesland who were totally cut off.

11 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Contrary to popular opinion Network Rail were trying to clear the lines, video at end of article.

https://www.thebeach.co.uk/news/local-news/see-this-incredible-video-of-a-snow-plough-train/

2 times 100 plus tons of Class 37 Diesel Loco should be enough to clear the lines, but not stop the wind from blowing the snow straight back on the track.

What will they do when all the Class 37's are back in museums and private railways?

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Years ago there was a little more snow...

Those were the days with proper loco's: plenty of noise, steam & smoke with lots of levers and gauges plus that wonderful smell of hot oil and coal.