Its Been Cold

In Ware we have got off quite lightly but trains struggling for several days. Tried to be a bit more extreme this afternoon but still a tad pathetic to other areas. A short 10 minute power cut last night tripped the thermostat on my greenhouse heater last night which meant cold plants this morning :(

Don't often see this in the Uk,  ice formed on the outside if a double glazed door,  about 1/4" thick,  the car was also completely covered this morning,  scraping and de-icer had no effect,  I just had to heat the car up from the inside and peel it off the window.  Weird

20180302_092256.jpg

3 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

What happened to the imminent threat of Global Warming?

Just heard on the TV;  "Coldest day in March since records began" 

get ready for more events, like this. one of effect s of global warming on the uk is losing the thing that keeps us warm in the uk,a westly air flow ,and the gulf stream, we just lost one!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, diesel falcon said:

get ready for more events, like this. one of effect s of global warming on the uk is losing the thing that keeps us warm in the uk,a westly air flow ,and the gulf stream, we just lost one!!

Best wish that we don't lose them both!

17 minutes ago, diesel falcon said:

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that you caused this :default_icon_wave:

9 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I regard unpassable conditions are when the snow is so deep that you can longer get any forward motion. Any journeys in the snow you should have the correct tyres, grips or chains and have a spade, warm clothes, drinks, food etc.

This reminds me of an occasion in the 80's when, in early January, I had to drive from North Yorkshire to Great Yarmouth to do some urgent work with one of our suppliers. I got down as far south as Grantham when the bad weather warnings started on the radio. I set off across the fens, with the snow falling faster all the while. When I got to Thetford, there was a strange sound coming from under the car and I realised that it was snow rubbing on the underside of the floor pan. This continued for the rest of my journey.  It did slow the car down a bit and no-doubt polished the underside to a fine sheen but it wasn't my car, so I didn't lose sleep over it.   I finally got to South Walsham Hall, a hotel back in the day,  at around 8pm.  The staff were most apologetic as the heating boiler had broken down  but fear not! Hot water bottles would be provided.

In the morning  I was told that the temperature had gone down to -13 degrees C overnight.  After my grilled kippers I set out for an early constitutional before setting off for GY.  I walked in the snow to Ranworth Staithe, where I found the broad to be covered with ice, the few boats moored there having  a good covering of snow. Back to the hotel and off in the car to Great Yarmouth via Wroxham, where I noted that the surface of the Bure was frozen.  A day's making bandages in GY, then back to the hotel, where the snow was still deep and the boiler had not yet been fixed.  Never mind, to make amends there would be a free bar in the hotel that evening  and hot water bottles too!   The half-dozen "residents" of the hotel , united in  shared hardship, flocked to the bar after dinner and we spent the evening in front of a roaring log fire, entertaining ourselves with yarns and worsening attempts to play the piano,  egged on by the inmates and inspired by brandy.   Warmed inside and out, and with a good dinner on board, I repaired to bed and soon passed out.

The following morning was very much milder and a thaw had set in big-time. The birds were singing, the Bure was flowing freely again under Wroxham Bridge and by the time I left GY after lunch, most of the snow had gone.  The reversal of the jet-stream, which causes these extreme conditions has happened many times in the past and will no-doubt happen many times more before we are finished.

• Like 6

that freezing rain shut the M2 for about 5 hours, and the M20 for about the same in the maidstone /medway area, I know I was driving (carefully) eastbound on it, past the vans on their side and other accidents at 6am yesterday, made it to work in just over the normal time.

• Like 3

Also watch the complaints rolling in against railway companies such as Abellendio for undoubted overreaction or inability to cope with the snow. My son-in-law has been stuck in London since Monday and whilst there has been snow it's really not been that bad yet the East Coast railway system has ground to a halt, not been good. 

All is not lost Saisburys have finally got round to doing their food deliveries.   I gather Waitrose are also delivering but not dear old Tesco.  Sainsburys have the right idea , two man team with each van , getting it all it all done in double time.

It's thawing fast here at the moment. Mind you a bunch of lads have been snowboarding behind a car up and down our road all morning and having great fun. Quite clever one of them is too, jumping and somersaulting. Been good watching them too. Packed up now, the snow went to ice but is now turning to slush.