Novice Or Experienced...making Assumptions

Wyndham

Over the years we've been hiring we've always looked at private boat owners and assumed they know what they're doing. (Experienced)

We've always looked at hirers and assumed they don't know what they're doing, (Novice)

How bloody stupid, really stupid.

What prompted this....well on Saturday I will be taking our boat up north, we are not experienced and any help offered along the way will be appreciated.

To myself and all....don't assume.

• Like 7

if you assume...

it makes an ASS out of U and ME .

But, as a hirer (experienced/novice... delete one), when I hire I think that every vessel coming towards me or overtaking me has a novice helm....

And I do what I need to keep clear as they come towards me, or full throttle so they can't overtake me...kidding....

But I do watch, and I have laughed at private boats mooring I have laughed at hire boats mooring, I have thought...wow they know what he/she is doing private and hire, I have assisted with the ropes for hire and private...

On the road we have cars with things on the roof with a big red L on them, we have cars on the road with a little sticker on them with a red L on it (scared me with my wife learning in my car), on the rivers we don't...

sorry, forgot myself and was a bit serious....

NOTE TO SELF, if you see Wyndham on the river, give a wide berth

:default_beerchug:

• Like 4

I could tell some stories about the battles that have gone on on our boat when myself and another family member are onboard together.  He has come a cropper a few times by not taking my advice but I just tell myself we are all human and not one of us perfect, then if I ever do anything daft in his presence ive covered myself! 

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

For a kick-off don't assume that it will be difficult! Treat it as an adventure aboard your splendid boat and enjoy!

Ahh it won't be difficult JM, far from it, and an adventure every step of the way.

I suppose we all like to think that every other human thinks like we do, which is so not true.

See, up until now, if I saw someone approaching a mooring I'd be up to  help a hirer,.... a private boat I'd probably hold back until I thought they needed help, that thought process going on in my head is wrong and needs correcting. It's an assumption and it's bad.

• Like 1

We've had our own boat for 3 months, before that we hired many many times. But the gap between our last hire and buying a boat is over 20 years.. there is no doubt at all that we are novices "again"

But we love every minute of it of course!

• Like 1

If I feel I might be of use, I usually nip out to lend a hand to boats arriving. What tickles me is the attitude of the some of the helms of big bling boats. It seems to be ‘why are you standing there offering to help, can’t you see I am an expert?’  There are some however who are grateful, mostly the wife who has no chance of getting off the high-sided boat with a rope and is happy to accept the assistance. 

• Like 3

All peas are green. This is green therefor it is a pea. That was a statement used to demonstrate erroneous use of logic years ago. Much the same can be said of novices and hire craft. It would be true to say that the vast majority of novices hire a boat before they buy one. Not all, I hasten to add, but the vast majority. So for the sake of rounding the figures lets say "All novices hire" Fine, but it is then just as wrong as the opening sentence to go on to say "This is a hire craft therefor helmed by a novice.

There can be some justification in believing that if it's a private boat, the helm is experienced, but allowance should be made that either a, you are wrong, or b. he is experienced, but hopeless!

Always keep in mind that the novice might have taken to helming like a duck to water in the same way that a helmsman of 50 years experience can crash into Potter Heigham bridge.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Always keep in mind that the novice might have taken to helming like a duck to water in the same way that a helmsman of 50 years experience can crash into Potter Heigham bridge.

oh, when did you do this - and are there any pictures? :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

I came to the Broads in 2001 a novice in respect to the Broads even though I had over 25 years experience on the Canals, I found myself in charge of Ranworth Breeze just two weeks into its first allocations, it was a quick learning curve getting used to the tides and wind which seemed to come from all directions.

People hiring boats can be tug boat or pilot skippers can have 20 years plus experience of Broads boats, likewise like me they could have just  walked onto a boat for the first time on the Broads, so lets not make general assumptions.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 5

It doesnt really matter how much experience one has or does not have. Anyone on the day can make a right pigs ear of a maneuver or a moor up. I have and have been on owned, skippered a boat on and off for the best part of 50 years.

So just assume that help could or maybe not needed but be ready to help if nned to.

• Like 5

I was once given some informal lessons by an ex captain of the cross channel ferries, he explained that there was just one rule that applied every time "the faster you go the more it will cost to repair"

I’ve approached and left moorings plenty of times now so wouldn’t consider myself a complete novice. But last year we took out a day boat that was a complete nightmare to steer. And then Bronze Emblem was our first hire without bow thrusters. I knew the theory but putting it into practice was a different matter!

• Like 1