Fishing Season

Hi been up loddon all day . Feeding the fish with bits of bread , should be a good season, but that's not what I want to talk about. Hire craft pulls in and a very snooty male gets out a rod and starts fishing. I politely said that he should be careful or he would be caught fishing out of season. He unpolitely said he was fly fishing and was allowed. I says never heard that one to which he replied he had phoned up to check and was told he could. Is this correct ? 

Nigel (roll on the 16th )

I think he is correct about this. I seem to remember that you can fish with a  lure out of season. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Had a terrific season last year on bread On a countdown now to the 16th.

He would have to use a fly and maybe a lure and be fishing for salmon, trout or grayling. 

Given I doubt there are many of those fish in that area I suspect he was after pike. Fly fishing for pike is getting more popular.

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/when-and-where-you-can-fish

i would maybe take a cynical approach that he was a "chancer"!

24 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

They are an easy catch in the Co Op fishery. 

I caught my personal best parr during the freshwater open season, identified from a photo by an environment agency officer who told me that there is a spring run of sea trout on the Yare. My brother caught a few, I never have but then I have never been after them. One of the fishing guides, Charlie Bettell, always maintained it was worth fly fishing for sea-trout in the spring. 

• Like 1

In calm weather in summer you can have great fun with a fly rod if Mackerel are about. A decent size one fights like a game fish. Nice eaten absolutely fresh with good bread and butter. Weybourne and Salthouse beaches can produce Mackerel close in. However the best fly/mackerel beat I have ever fished was from Rock-A-Nore, Hastings right where the car park sticks out. Not been for a few years I wonder if it still fishes well? 

On the subject of fishing. Years ago, when cars had gutters around the roof line you could buy rod holders that clamped to the gutters like the old roof racks. My father and I were both Bristol Water Works season ticket holders. This allowed us to fish Chew, Blagdon and The Barrows and we could travel between waters without stripping down. 

Are such things available still? It would be very useful for me to just nip down the beach and keep my rod made up in the garage.

39 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We do get lots of happy soles on the Broads but regretfully we also meet a few miserable old trouts, generally from down South! 

The Dover Soles used to protect the northern waters from the miserable old trouts but since their numbers are so depleted many now find their way north.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's nearly here!!

Going up tomorrow, leave home mooring and moor up somewhere for an early start on Saturday. Haven't a clue where yet.

I fancy spending Saturday night at St. Bennets but wouldn't want to arrive until evening time. If it's full is it possible to drop fore and aft mudweights close to the reeds on the opposite bank? Is that safe or is the flow too strong there? Anyone done it?