Harvey Eastwood 37

floydraser

18 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

That makes sense. It was dark when we passed her but I said it didn't look right!

Yes I knew Seraphina was rebuilt purely to sell on and was still out there somewhere. 

Will look forward to seeing floydraser out and about. Transportation by road can't have been cheap though. I know how much it costs to move one just 100 miles!

I'm looking forward to meeting you friendly people too! I'll post here when I know more precisely when Denham Owl will arrive at Brundall so anyone with nothing better to do can come down and say hello.

Once moored, she'll be covered completely so there'll be nothing to see until I've cured all the leaks next season. A previous owner had a cover made instead of getting the leaks sorted and this has, I'm hoping,  made it worth the effort. I will be able to leave it covered between visits for instance, if I have to remove a window.

1 hour ago, JanetAnne said:

That makes sense. It was dark when we passed her but I said it didn't look right!

Yes I knew Seraphina was rebuilt purely to sell on and was still out there somewhere. 

Will look forward to seeing floydraser out and about. Transportation by road can't have been cheap though. I know how much it costs to move one just 100 miles!

So JanetAnne is Dave? That's fine; no problem with that. But who are MBs please?

It's a good job it's not confusing or anything!:default_icon_e_confused:

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

Nice, clear pic for 1985, must have been an expensive camera. Dark transom could mean it's an early wooden hull version?

It was a Minolta XG-M with standard 50mm Rokkor. At the time I worked on national newspapers and one of the film processing team did some resolution tests against the standard 50mm lenses that they used on their Nikons, and my Minolta won (not by much admittedly, but it was quite a bit cheaper).

It was the first in the XG series that metered in manual mode. I used it almost all the time in manual mode - don't think I took more than half a dozen pics in auto mode in all the time I had it.

Unfortunately my slides had started to deteriorate before I got round to scanning them - the colours and resolution were originally much better.

Roy 

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The 50mm Rokkor was standard in many a professional and keen amateur darkroom back in the Eighties. Cracking lens in its day.

Nothing wrong with those old lenses even now; I recently shot gun proof marks and similar with a 35mm Vivitar on extension tubes with my Nikon D800E. Just have to twiddle things manually.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, floydraser said:

So JanetAnne is Dave? That's fine; no problem with that. But who are MBs please?

It's a good job it's not confusing or anything!:default_icon_e_confused:

Dave has a ponytail, JanetAnne doesn't. I hope that makes things clearer..........

9 hours ago, floydraser said:

Apparently so. According to the website, "Boats of the Norfolk Broads" The Santa Caterinas were built from 1964 to 1970ish, and were all timber. Denham Owl is listed in that section although she has a grp hull. It also says from 1970 they were called "Harvey Eastwood 37's" and were based on the Ocean 37 hull with timber uppers.

Denham Owl is said to be 1970 bulid so may be there's a bit of cross over between models. I always had Vauxhall cars like that; it was a pain to get the parts!

Yes, that`s correct. The all timber ones were also 38ft long, whereas the Ocean Hull which the later ones were built on are 37ft. I seem to remember they were a few inches less in beam too. There was one of the original all wooden ones restored, and altered at Mudway Bridge Marina in the late 80s, which had blue in the colour scheme.  I always loved the look of them, but preferred the single level deck of the timber hull variants, which also had deeper cabin tops and windows. 

On our very first day on the broads, (also the last day of my 11th year, as my 12th birthday was the following day) we saw one of these high and dry on the mud on the Yare en-route to Reedham.

45 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Aint you supposed to be planking somewhere?

Someone took the thicknesser away and if you think I'm ever going to use a belt sander again to take 7 or 8 mm off you can think some more............