Car Talk

LondonRascal

The dashboard display recently advised me that the brake pads are in need of changing.  Items ordered and arrived a few days ago being pads, brake cleaner and high temperature paint.  Kinda got distracted in t garage, which is still ongoing but dragged mysen away and got the front of Trevors braking system sorted.  I'll do the rears on Saturday 

So, Trevor has now done 28'000 miles, these are probably the first time the pads have been changed.  They were down on the wear limiters so did not owe me owt.  It's ages since I have had hands on any braking system.  Gave that malarky up years ago.  I enjoyed doing it though, plenty of time on my hands.

Wire brushed / cleaned up the lot, then plenty of brake cleaner sprayed liberally, two coats of high temperature paint applied - Ferrari Red of course - Is there any other colour for callipers and carriers?

Jobs a gudden

Griff

BA NBN 766.jpg

BA NBN 767.jpg

BA NBN 768.jpg

BA NBN 769.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The dashboard display recently advised me that the brake pads are in need of changing.  Items ordered and arrived a few days ago being pads, brake cleaner and high temperature paint.  

Wire brushed / cleaned up the lot, then plenty of brake cleaner sprayed liberally, two coats of high temperature paint applied - Ferrari Red of course - Is there any other colour for callipers and carriers?

Jobs a gudden

Griff

BA NBN 766.jpg

BA NBN 767.jpg

BA NBN 768.jpg

BA NBN 769.jpg

Don`t mind the Yellow myself.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 10:58, BroadAmbition said:

Jobs a gudden

Griff

Well there's always yellow of course :)

(Debs MX5 MK1)

IMG_0445.thumb.JPG.49f3a8bdca71862807e0e6982b599210.JPG

But then, it went with the green

IMGP5306.thumb.JPG.1e3467e9b2822471e5a02a561f52bea0.JPG

20120626_100522.thumb.jpg.ee331ddc95b0d84969343424d0974b91.jpg

• Like 3

About a couple of months ago, Trevor was unfortunate to catch a stone / pebble or some sort of hard debri on the windscreen which caused a star type bullet crack.  I rang my insurance Co.  They explained that a repair would be FOC, I had to wait a month for them to get to me, today the chap turned up from Auto-windscreens.   He said that he could repair it and he set to.  However once the vacuum pump was applied, the star crack expanded way out of limits.  It now appears that I need a new windscreen :default_pcwhack:  He said that was the first time it had happened to him on this type of screen - That helps then.

New Screen - Hmmm, it's a heated version with rain / light sensors and will probably cost the proverbial  arm and a leg.  It's  booked in for 6th June but you can just bet that I have to pay some sort of surcharge on the new screen.  Just what I need right now - NOT :default_smiley-angry047: under current financial issues.  I need to look at my insurance policy, when I have plucked up courage and am sitting down

Griff

BA NBN 775.jpg

BA NBN 776.jpg

its better than having to pay the full cost I guess, maybe talk to them and see if you can get a discount due to the fact it was the repair man made it worse, though i guess they have a clause somewhere that will let them out, its always worth asking. you never know, they may knock some off as a goodwill gesture.

Your screen is tinted, laminated, heated and has light / rain sensors and possibly the radio aerial in it with the whole lot bonded to the van. 

Your insurance company will get a bill for about £700 for that lot, the fitter will break three clips prising it all apart so you'll end up with a rattle and the rear view mirror will now fall off every six months. The more careless will also cut into the paint round the aperture removing the old screen so you'll have rust in a few months with no access to repair it. 

Keep a close eye on them Griff there are some right insurance approved cowboys out there.

By the way, if you don't have it, an upgrade to a top tint will cost you personally another £50 or so on top but is well worth it with these big screens. 

• Like 1

Your screen is tinted, laminated, heated and has light / rain sensors and possibly the radio aerial in it with the whole lot bonded to the van. 

Correct

The suppliers / fitters are Auto Windscreens - They are a well known professional outfit.

Keep a close eye on them Griff there are some right insurance approved cowboys out there.

Thanks for the heads up, I will do just that

I will ask them about any upgrades that may be available.

Griff

J.A -   By the way, if you don't have it, an upgrade to a top tint will cost you personally another £50 or so on top but is well worth it with these big screens. 

I have spoken with Auto Windscreens this morning.  Apparently there are no upgrades available from the present screen that is fitted.

Griff

Griff & Others? 

Now that does take me back.  My first street legal car in 78 was an Austin 1100 - Officially -  until I put a 1300 head on it with larger carbs.  Enough spotlights to make Blackpool front jealous, and acres of fake fur.  The point? - Along the top of the windscreen I fixed a sunstrip with the lettering  'Him and Them'   My Mum went bonkers over that one! :default_icon_eek:

Griff

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff & Others? 

Now that does take me back.  My first street legal car in 78 was an Austin 1100 - Officially -  until I put a 1300 head on it with larger carbs.  Enough spotlights to make Blackpool front jealous, and acres of fake fur.  The point? - Along the top of the windscreen I fixed a sunstrip with the lettering  'Him and Them'   My Mum went bonkers over that one! :default_icon_eek:

Griff

Were they still the SU carbs with the oil pot then?

Little memroy test for you :default_biggrin:

Unfortunately I was a bit sad and cheesy with my first car. It was a red Capri MK11 with the identifiable power bulge on the bonnet. 0 to 60 in 20 seconds going down hill, fog lights front and back, rear louvre on the tail gate, 20 watts per channel to the 4 speakers with the Audioline graphic equalizer with power LED's, rear static strips and to finish it off I had a George Michael striped blonde hair look.

I would be interested to know about anybody else's cheesy teenage early car ownership stories.:default_biggrin: 

On 11/05/2020 at 19:29, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Were they still the SU carbs with the oil pot then?

Little memroy test for you :default_biggrin:

On 12/05/2020 at 00:22, BroadAmbition said:

I do believe they were

Griff

The SU was a good carb and in twin configeration stayed in balance better than many others, including Zenith Strombergs. Strombergs were actually a copy of SU but carefully designed and engineered in such a way as to not infringe on SU's Patents.

As an aside those oil filled dampers were known as Dash Pots.

I shared for a while a non-road going Oselli Cooper S for hill climbing. Before my friend Mike and I bought it the car had been used for saloon car racing. The instruments had been moved from the centre to infront of the driver with the addition of a rev counter.

Where the huge mini speedo had been was an equally big hole through the bulkhead and this was ulitised to fit a single twin choke DCOE45 Webber.  The Ram Pipes stuck through into the inside of the car and with your foot to the floor the induction roar was deafening. As was the bang from the occasional flame back.

Impending marriage for both of us put paid to a very short, expensive and unsuccessful racing career for both of us. Many many years later I heard on the Old Boy's grapevine that Mick had been dabbling on the track in Caterhams.

SU

997324065_Screenshot_20200513-061032_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.0aa0a8df9ad3f9d0ad8a76c7a552ea4a.jpg

Stromberg

771863490_Screenshot_20200513-061132_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.06a060281600386e3d4695194e8adc3a.jpg

Webber DCOE 40/45

531156502_Screenshot_20200513-060255_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.81fb8dbed5c170dc806f019fac7ebbc3.jpg

1051591203_Screenshot_20200513-060245_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.499175f5154171fce720f697c1dd8775.jpg

• Thanks 1