Mud Weight Rope

Hmmm, There is no real set difinitive. Depends where you are likely to mudweight and how much space  you have on deck to store it safely. I  will have our measurements at home but I think we have about 4 fathoms or 24ft. If we need more (Breydon etc) then we can cobble head rope and the like

Hope this helps

Griff

• Like 1

As long as you have the space to swing, you need 3 to 4 times the depth of water you are in plus the height of the bow.

This is to ensure that as the breeze blows the boat, it's trying to pul the weight through the mud rather than over it. I understand that Wroxham Broad is one of the deepest but 20' to 25' should cover you. 

Just a thought, some folk have a dedicated mudweight rope, fair play, their choice. but occasionally a spare bow rope that you can use as a spring or breast rope is useful. Keep a rope tied to the mudweight but have it so you can tie the rope, maybe a foot above the weight, to the bow cleat and then you have the other end of that rope that can be used for tying up. With that in mind I'd go for a slightly longer rope, perhaps thirty feet. Hope that that makes sense!

• Like 3

Seemingly 9 out of 10 Australian males will be named 'Bruce', nevertheless not as anchors. Many years ago now I was photographing the Australian Rothmans Porsche team with Verne Schuppen as driver. Unless they were taking the juice, other than Verne, the whole team was called Bruce, and they kept that up for the whole weekend.  

If you haven't bought the rope yet, make sure you buy a rope that's big enough to grip - mine is a multiplait one of I think, about 18mm. Actually I think I would buy a longer one - not that its really necessary but I have about 35', give or take, which is the length of the boat so I can let out loads and let it really get into the mud!!

2 hours ago, marshman said:

If you haven't bought the rope yet, make sure you buy a rope that's big enough to grip - mine is a multiplait one of I think, about 18mm. Actually I think I would buy a longer one - not that its really necessary but I have about 35', give or take, which is the length of the boat so I can let out loads and let it really get into the mud!!

I have visions of Marsh's mudweight penetrating twenty feet of silt! 

Managed a few years ago to find an old mainsheet winch at a Boat Jumble style thing which was two speed - great stuff and whilst I am only one speed these days it certainly presents little problem in raising the thing from the subterranean depths!! Probably also explains why I want 18mm to get it on the drum nicely!!!!

As an aside, just how deep are the rivers and Broads. That's rather a general question I realise but I always imagined everywhere was pretty deep until I saw an old photo of a truck that had gone through the wall of the old bridge at Potter. It lay on it's side in the river but only half of it, if that, was under water!

As a non swimmer I assume 40 fathoms and monsters at the very least :12_slight_smile:

5 minutes ago, Ray said:

As an aside, just how deep are the rivers and Broads. That's rather a general question I realise but I always imagined everywhere was pretty deep until I saw an old photo of a truck that had gone through the wall of the old bridge at Potter. It lay on it's side in the river but only half of it, if that, was under water!

As a non swimmer I assume 40 fathoms and monsters at the very least :12_slight_smile:

As I understand it the main navigable areas are supposed to be minimum six feet deep at average low water. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Thiswan said:

I know I'm getting on but the last couple of times I've used a Mud weight I had the devil of a job retrieving it afterward I've been advised to lower it gently so it doesn't sink too far in the mud, Ill try that next time!

The whole idea of a mudweight is that does sink into the mud, the deeper the better!

You can often break it out of the mud by using the power 0f the boat. Shorten the rope so it's tight between boat and weight and then go backwards to pull the weight out of the mud. Don't forget to pull it up onboard after a few feet's journey to wash the mud off.

11 hours ago, marshman said:

Where did that come from, Pete.  I thought it was only around 4' - plus of course unfathomable feet of the gloopey stuff!!!!

As I understand from the horse's mouth it's 6' for the main rivers and only 4' away from the main channels. Mind you I have allegedly been known to misunderstand said horse!