Eastenders On The Broads.

Londonlad1985

A totally fictional holiday vlog from the 1990s.:default_wink: I Just found this little gem on YouTube posted by @johnsherz TY.

I was an avid fan back then and vaguely remember the storyline and how modern, weird and grown up it all seemed to my 12 year old self. It's not dated well although a lot of the boats can probably still be found.

I can Imagine a few youngster's holidays turn out almost as disastrous to this day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

Interesting but as per usual with EastEnders so far removed from reality.    Nobody runs out of fuel on a hire boat.    Well I have never heard of it.

We did on Richardson's Crusader 1 (petrol) in 1963. Self inflicted of course, trying to cover as much of the Broads as we could in one week. No idea of tides etc so were probably pushing against it everywhere. We worked out we averaged about 4 mph and 4mpg.

Running out of fuel must have been fairly common in those days as a lot of hire boats carried a spare gallon in a heavy duty red petrol can. We swapped our empty one for a full one from another hire cruiser (at considerable cost) mid river below Wroxham.

We pulled into Sabberton's for fuel but they were closed. The chap eventually took pity on us and filled us up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hmmmmm, Eastenders?.   Always was, still is, and always will be the biggest load of UTTER CRAP ever put on television.

I tend to agree... but I'll refute "always was" It used to have some of the highest viewing figures on T.V. and tackled important issues of the day. Sadly not so much now. Although it's still pulling regular audiences of 3 to 4 million an episode which is more than most "broadcast" shows. I've not watched it since the whole Ronnie Mitchell stole Cat's baby debacle.

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Rick-kay and Bee-An-Kar yelling at each other finished it for me. Stereotypical Londoners? Maybe!

Half a generation ago they were, but they probably are more akin to Cockney which has mostly migrated to Essex as an accent, although the new towns of Hertfordshire retain some pockets.

Now it's mostky Jafaican (not sure of that's a real accent), especially the youngsters, and estuary for those that "speak posh". Having grown up in stevenage and lived in London most of my adult life, I'd have to let others diagnose my particular drawl.

Well ... do I dare to say that I'm a regular viewer?! And maybe it's you good folk north of the River Colne who talk all funny. Love the Suffolk and Norfolk accents when we venture across the border out of Essex!  :default_hiding:

:default_rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hylander said:

Interesting but as per usual with EastEnders so far removed from reality.    Nobody runs out of fuel on a hire boat.    Well I have never heard of it.

I did in 2007 on an ex Broads cruiser that was running in Scotland....

Not very likely on the Broads where the boats generally have fuel for 2+ weeks

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Londonlad1985 said:

I tend to agree... but I'll refute "always was" It used to have some of the highest viewing figures on T.V. and tackled important issues of the day. Sadly not so much now. Although it's still pulling regular audiences of 3 to 4 million an episode which is more than most "broadcast" shows. I've not watched it since the whole Ronnie Mitchell stole Cat's baby debacle.

Why does a (so called) entertainment programe have to tackle "important issues of the day"?. If anybody wants to hear or see things about "important issues of the day", watch the sodding news or read a paper. Having said that, i`l NEVER watch the crap no matter what "important issues of the day" they show. Total and utter garbage, just the same as ALL crappy soap operas.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Well ... do I dare to say that I'm a regular viewer?!

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.thumb.jpg.302fa0bb22066f6d94c1d3f353dc9967.jpg

11 minutes ago, SwanR said:

And maybe it's you good folk north of the River Colne who talk all funny.

91458905-surprised-emoji-isolated-on-white-bac.thumb.jpg.25137de94e5da2421057c8a4d3302f12.jpg

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

Well ... do I dare to say that I'm a regular viewer?! And maybe it's you good folk north of the River Colne who talk all funny. Love the Suffolk and Norfolk accents when we venture across the border out of Essex!  :default_hiding:

:default_rofl:

Jean I am a regular viewer too.      Coronation Street as well.      I always feel that Coronation Street has a sense of humour running through it but poor EastEnders is doom gloom misery and more misery from beginning to end.   Still watch it though.   So yes Guilty Me Lud.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Yer average hen pecked husband who can't 'B' well win no matter what he does to please his woman!!

I've got fed up of being treat like something a woman stepped in, so don't even bother trying to please anyone anymore :default_biggrin: