Lightning Strikes Again

1 hour ago, Ray said:

All great photos but a particular "wow" for those early morning shots! 👍

Thanks Ray, although had i taken them with my phone, they would no doubt been better quality and clearer, but it`s a real pain to download them. With my old fuji bridge camera, just plug it into the laptop, and hey presto, it does it automatically.

I must say though, i do like the ones with the sun breaking through the clouds over the fields, and the windmill in the background. So atmospheric.

• Like 1

A few more.

Cruising up the Waveney en-route to Oulto Broad to meet up with Alan (Ranworth Breeze and his good friend Andy, Along with Paul and Elaine (Peta`s Joy), and John and Mary Jane (Hockham Admiral).

DSCF6696.thumb.JPG.66536c0399c8bca7fdd6ce34f9703977.JPG

A couple of a yacht sailing in Oulton Dyke.

DSCF6697.thumb.JPG.d1458fcfb23c511e5e4459befe837f9c.JPG

DSCF6699.thumb.JPG.07c75e1a0291cc5edbc677ac74e3df4c.JPG

Karen at the helm, toasting a great holiday. No comments about women drivers please, she does very well.

DSCF6700.thumb.JPG.820fa93e797314fdfd3d604a090fe68d.JPG

Dredgers on the move.

DSCF6705.thumb.JPG.1e41eb52bc2aef455cf243adcb7ac306.JPG

careless person, the picture does`nt show how bad his wash was, or the speed he was going.

DSCF6707.thumb.JPG.7f99970dda26f92a27a06f26388ddf74.JPG

Being overtaken in the tight confines of the New Cut, a bit inconsiderate, especially as the speed limit is 4 mph, and we were doing nearly 5.

• Like 2

Getting a bit fresh when going up the New Cut en-route to Loddon, Karen sporting her new "Hoodie" which i bought for her that morning from Jeckells in Oulton Broad.

DSCF6712.thumb.JPG.b21379af63ae69d3497be7b005c57a2c.JPG

Cruising up the Chet to Loddon for our last night on the rivers. Back to Brundall for tomorrow.

DSCF6713.thumb.JPG.c0c5b191a896d1a02b61f9408565b415.JPG

Geese beside the Chet.

DSCF6714.thumb.JPG.beb393d0b6c288fd6777903a9d74ea3f.JPG

Lots of Geese beside the Chet

DSCF6715.thumb.JPG.ee8e7d797e26ae0c799ed4a0d318bb6b.JPG

• Like 5

I posted a picture of the Idiot in the Hardy overtaking us in the new cut, was it removed, if so, can i ask why a picture of some idiot breaking the speed limit, and causing a dangerous wash which had us being tossed around and in danger of being pushed up against submerged hazards, possibly causing serious damage to Lightning was removed?.  I think it should be re-instated so other forumites know who to look out for, and take great care when he`s breaking the speed limit, possibly causing them problems too?.

Hi Neil 

I can understand and sympathise. I have an idea that naming and shaming is discouraged by the Mods particularly when a specific craft is identified. I think also the standard advices to report the matter to the BA

Having said that, been there, got the T shirt, so I can empathise. :default_biggrin:

PS didn see the post so just guessing 

12 minutes ago, boycee said:

I guess it was removed because of what you called the person when you posted the picture. In my view the word you used to describe him starting with the letter T was unacceptable particularly as a lot of our forum readers are women

Boycee

Believe me it was a lot worse at the time.

• Haha 1

I saw the picture before it was removed, thought it was a good picture clearly showing the boat (Including name and reg number) and just how close it passed and the wash created so could fully understand your comments, however when people do overtake in such a manner what can we do to minimize the effect to our boat?

(Serious Q from a learner)

7 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I saw the picture before it was removed, thought it was a good picture clearly showing the boat (Including name and reg number) and just how close it passed and the wash created so could fully understand your comments, however when people do overtake in such a manner what can we do to minimize the effect to our boat?

(Serious Q from a learner)

We tend to steer into the wash, going up and down is better than rocking from side to side! In our experience anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I posted a picture of the Idiot in the Hardy overtaking us in the new cut, was it removed, if so, can i ask why a picture of some idiot breaking the speed limit, and causing a dangerous wash which had us being tossed around and in danger of being pushed up against submerged hazards, possibly causing serious damage to Lightning was removed?.  I think it should be re-instated so other forumites know who to look out for, and take great care when he`s breaking the speed limit, possibly causing them problems too?.

If your picture clearly showed the boat was speeding and chucking out a lot of wash, email it to the Broads Authority so they can act on it. I can assure you they will if it is clear enough. 

• Like 2

This year I hired aboat what kicked out a lot of wash... The amount of people who was shouting out to us to slow down... We was well under the speed and all of the time we was punching against the tide all week ... At one point doing 3mph passing through Reedham I had the BA shout out at me... Annoyed and total fed up at this point of the comments of the Wash I gave him a very sturn reply shouting out my speed to him... 

Sending pictures of boats speeding I suggest you  have 100%  Proof... Video footage with your speed would be better... 

Each boats have different hull designs so others kick out more wash than others also size of the boat to..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vanessan said:

We tend to steer into the wash, going up and down is better than rocking from side to side! In our experience anyway. 

Agreed if you are going head to head, but not possible when the wash is coming from behind or beside you.  Also, even if we were going in opposite directions, again not possible in the confines of the very narrow New Cut.

Unfortunately, i don`t have any video evidence, only three photo`s (i thought i took more?), but i will be e-mailing a report with these photos to the BA.

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

This year I hired aboat what kicked out a lot of wash... The amount of people who was shouting out to us to slow down... We was well under the speed and all of the time we was punching against the tide all week ... At one point doing 3mph passing through Reedham I had the BA shout out at me... Annoyed and total fed up at this point of the comments of the Wash I gave him a very sturn reply shouting out my speed to him... 

Sending pictures of boats speeding I suggest you  have 100%  Proof... Video footage with your speed would be better... 

Each boats have different hull designs so others kick out more wash than others also size of the boat to..

This is why people are asked/advised to look at what their wash is doing, not just rely on speed monitors. It is the wash that does the damage to the banks etc. I would have thought the skippers’ manuals on board the hire boats would have such guidance in them. The byelaws cover matters of inconvenience to other river users which includes moored boats (such as at Reedham).

As to sending pictures to the BA by way of proof of speeding, I believe the Authority has experts who are able to gauge the speed of a vessel from a photo by its wash together with the hull design. No escape these days.