Lightning Strikes Again

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Great to see a Silouette Mk111 still going strong. Brings back many memories. 

In my impetuous youth I crossed the Channel in one of those all 17ft of her and yes, she too was Seagull Century+ powered.

Yes, she was in lovely condition too. 

I`ve got a Pandora International on my front garden in a poor state. I`ve got most of the stuff to do her up, so will be doing so in the future. 

Even though Lightning is a very spacious 43footer, there`s something pleasing about sailing in a small yacht. I`m still considering getting the International done up, selling her, and buying something like a Silhouette, or maybe smaller, and trailing her down to Poole harbour and going for a sail. Small yachts these are virtually go anywhere boats due to their small size and shallow draft, and Poole harbour has plenty of shallow water and small inlets.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ray said:

Lovely boat, blue skies, nice food and the Norfolk Broads... Perfect! 👍

That was the pasta amatricianna i mentioned further back.  It was rather yummy.

One more thing would have made absolutely perfect, BSB on the tele.  That would have been the best day of my life, but i`ve had that already on Sunday September 7th 2003. We had an early start on Maffett Cruisers Kingfisher. We got up and had an early start from Reedham, crossed Breydon with the tide, moored at Gt Yarmouth Yacht Station for breakfast, watched the first World Superbike race of the day, got going again now the tide was with us, moored at Acle Bridge for lunch, watched the second WSB race, filled up with water,  got going again to Thurne dyke, moored for the night, and spent a very pleasant evening with a mug of tea in one hand and fishing rods in the other.  If when i pop my cloggs, i find heaven is nothing like that, i`m coming back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

We're all packed and ready to load up the car tomorrow. Work in the morning though, then our Autumn adventure begins just after lunch, when we will be heading for our hotel in Gravesend to overnight, then an easy 2 hour run to Brundall Saturday morning (providing there's no probs on the M25 or Dartford tunnel). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

my laugh was for the comment in brackets. over the last few weekends the slip road from the M2 to the M25 has been shut for roadworks (of course they also shut the south end of the M20 so the M2 was the diversion route, so the two main roads through kent both had shutdowns and the other was being used as a diversion for the first, which led to all sorts of chaos)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grendel said:

my laugh was for the comment in brackets. over the last few weekends the slip road from the M2 to the M25 has been shut for roadworks (of course they also shut the south end of the M20 so the M2 was the diversion route, so the two main roads through kent both had shutdowns and the other was being used as a diversion for the first, which led to all sorts of chaos)

Thanks for the heads up Grendel, but I was born and brought up in North West Kent, so know all the back roads and lanes etc to get to the tunnel with very little hold up, it's what we did in June, and saved us a traffic jam. 

It's 10.00am, and we only work half days on Friday, so in 120 minutes time YYIIIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE. 

• Like 1

just watch out for the traffic on the roundabout above the M25 as it enters the tunnels , that can be snarled up nearly as badly as the tunnel, even when the tunnel is flowing smoothly, I would suggest checking the traffic before you set off to see which way is least congested.

Actually it looks like Northbound could be clear as the proposed works are on the southbound side, so will catch me on the way home :default_sad:

ROADWORKS A2.JPG

• Like 1

That would explain why the M25 tunnel bound was backed up to the M20 Junction yesterday (now 7.00 am Saturday). We heard the traffic report on Radio 2, so continued along the M25 to the Wrotham slip and up Wrotham Road and cut through the back lanes down through Sole Street and Cobham. There was still a jam between the M23 junction and and the M25, all because of a damaged car on the side of the road. Sodding rubber neckers should be banned. 

Luckily for us, we'll be going from Brundall straight back to Dorset next weekend, so will be using the northern section of the dreaded 120 mph roundabout. However, that can be a real pain in the kyber because of the M1, M4, and Heathrow junctions, which ever way we go, there could be problems. 

Now Karen has finished in the shower, it's my turn, then breakfast and away by 09.00. I'm getting excited now......... 

• Like 1

Well we''re here, the journey up was very easy, though the A2 west of Northfleet was jammed, so I cjut down through Swanscombe and Greenhithe and beat the traffic. After that, it plain sailing to Brundall in a little over 2 hours. So straight into the co-op, and on Lightning by 11.30, brilliant. The sun is out, the sky is blue, and we're head g up North. If we can get across Breydon this afternoon, we will, and hopefully be able to get to Acle, if not, we may stop at Berney Arms and cross in the morning. We could always cross this after non and Moor at Gt Yarmouth, but that's not really what we want to do. We:ll find out later, but for now, we're just enjoying cruising down the Yare past Langley dyke. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Have a good week Neil, it was us that shouted to you around Reedham ferry just in case it does your head in thinking !

John

It certainly did do my head in John, but in fairness, I couldn't hear you clearly, so sincerest apologies for that. Lovely boat by the way. 

We'll, the best made plans etc?, we moored at Reedham as there was plenty of space, though the ranger wasn't exactly what you would call friendly, welcoming, or helpful. He refused to take our lines if we moored in front of the pub, so we moored away from the 240, maximum "jobsworth" attitude or what, especially as they've always done so previously. We got tied up and went for a coffee and ice cream in the "Post Office Tea Room". When we left, I took a photo for a group of seniors who said they were the famous ones, they'd been towed off the Breydon mud a couple of hours previous. We walked back to Lightning and sat down watching TV, we'll Karen watched, I nodded off, i was feeling tired due to a long drive yesterday, and the same today, that's why we decided to Moor at Reedham, and have a chill out.  So here we sit, Karen watching Strictly, and me nodding off Again.