Lightning Strikes Again

Well, we"ve been waiting for this day to come for what seems like an eternity. It"s 07,00, the alarm has just gone off, and we're in a hotel bed in Gravesend about to get up for breakfast and hit the Dartford tunnel. We've decided to do things a bit differently this time, and break the journey up by splitting it into two halves. The first half saw Karen and I setting off from a very warm and sunny East Dorset and head for Gravesend to visit my Brother (and usual first mate, though not this time) for dinner, then overnight in our regular hotel. It looks like It"s going to be another lovely day, here's hoping. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

How long are you aboard Neil? North or south? Long time since we met!

For the week Bill, may head North later today, but may change our minds when underway. Where are you?. We're looking to be back in Loddon Thursday, but till then, who knows where?.  Point the bow and see where we end up. 

Breakfast with my brother was nice, but we sat talking for an hour and a half and got away late. The Dartford tunnel was no problem, but then we did cut through the lower roads incase of jams etc. As usual we went M25, M11, A11, and called in to have lunch and a chat with the Admiral and his good lady, and as usual, their hospitality was as good as always. We arrived at Brundall about 3.15 and immediately loaded up a very warm Lightning, so all windows and hatches open, but it was still ver warm. We got underway at 5.20pm and had a wonderful warm evening cruise down to Loddon. En-route to Loddon, I was surprised to see all mooring sots full, and on arrival in Loddon found Pye:s Mill  full, as was the basin, so luckily, we found space at Pacific Cruisers and was moored up at 830pm. We had a very light tea, and settled down watching TV. I saw Endevour moored in Maffets yard and went for a chat, only to find out we know the owner very well. 10.20, and we're both tired, so it's off to bed in a warm cabin, though it did freshen up, so we put the duvet on. It's been a busy and enjoyable day. GOOD NIGHT ALL. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, petersjoy said:

Hi Neil, we should be onboard by Wednesday evening and heading to Loddon for the weekend, might get chance to bump into you.

Paul and Elaine.

Hi Paul, that would be great. If we don't see you by Saturday, we should be going to Rosie Lee's for breakfast. It would be great to see you again. 

Sunday morning see's us up and about by about 8,15 we get showered, and out chatting to the people who are moored in Pacific next to us, they're on Silver Reflection. Igo to pay for our overnight mooring, but Richard and Fiona are not there, so Karen and I walk into Loddon for breakfast at Rosie Lee's. Caroline is her usual cheerful and bubbly self and makes both a sizeable cheese topped toastie each, very moreish, but my waistline says no. We say our goodbye's and walk up to the Co. op for some shopping and find out we still have to go to work on Monday week, as our Thunder ball numbers didn't come up. Back aboard and our nice neighbours had already left, so we pay Richard and Fiona our mooring fee, fill up with water and get going. We keep the revs down as we're going down the Chet with the tide, and reach the Yare. We're still with the tide as we pass Reedham, but as we enter the new cut we slow down, as from here on, we're punching the tide, so it's throttle up. We turn up towards Beccles and decide on WRC so pull in and Moor, only to see our friendly neighbours from the night before, but they were only there for lunch and soon departed. It's clear WRC is under reconstruction, so the place looks a bit messy, and when we go to pay our mooring fee, we're shocked at being told it was £20 for overnight with hook up, time for plan B. We decide to leave and make for Beccles under broken clouds and a fresh breeze. We arrive at  Beccles, and who do we moor next to, our friendly neighbours. We have a nice chat and Robbie (their skipper) thanked me for the advice about cruising through the bridge and enjoying that beautiful stretch of river, when in comes a flotilla of boats, all with rowdy youngsters, but to be fair, they quieten down after a while. Karen prepared a nice chicken salad, which we enjoy with the roof open and the sun shining, it doesn't get much better than this, we'll, not unless it involves 2 wheels anyway. We're now relaxing with roof open, Karen with a glass of wine, me with a glass of water, and will probably be in bed early again. Good night all. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Broads01 said:

£20 for overnight? That sounds way over the top. 

It used to be £10, which I thought then was over the top for it's location. Surely there should be some sort of reciprocal agreement now they have a hire fleet of their own. They clearly expect their own fleet to be able to moor at other yards free of charge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

It used to be £10, which I thought then was over the top for it's location. Surely there should be some sort of reciprocal agreement now they have a hire fleet of their own. They clearly expect their own fleet to be able to moor at other yards free of charge.

Hi David, 

We're on Lightning, so we have to pay. We saw 3 of their boats today, one here at Beccles, and another 2 tied to each other going down the Waveney, probably back to base for repairs. 

11 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

This is their new Sedan cruiser - Waveney Pegasus. Is it just me or  does this boat look like it's taken part in a magicians sawn in half trick that's gone wrong? It looks dangerous without any rails at the back. 

Pegasus.jpg

I agree David, that stern deck would scare me to death. From the layout plan it's odd inside too. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

This is their new Sedan cruiser - Waveney Pegasus. Is it just me or  does this boat look like it's taken part in a magicians sawn in half trick that's gone wrong? It looks dangerous without any rails at the back. 

Health and Safety would have a field day ..... Just think of the risk assessments!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Pegasus.jpg

Not only that, but the photo shows it without fenders or ropes.  If you lay the aft ropes on the bathing platform, it looks too easy to trip over them or kick them off to get wrapped around the prop.  It definitely needs some push pit rails fitted imho, but  nothing will change the fact that it’s fugly.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Pegasus.jpg

Is that  Haines 26 that has been hacked about and a shed put on the back?

https://www.nya.co.uk/haines-boats/haines-26-aft-cockpit/

It certainly isn't going to win any beauty prizes!

Pegasus.jpg

That was one of the boats rated together. They both had engines running, so I would assume the other had broken steering. 

Good morning all, 

It's another beautiful morning with blue skies, a few patchy clouds and a breeze. We're up and about at 8.00 and getting showered. First off is a walk into Beccles for a supply top up, then, tides permitting, a run up to Geldeston lock where we may treat ourselves to lunch, then back to Oulton Broad where hopefully we'll be meeting up with my brother and sister in law. Let's see what the day brings. 

• Like 2

Pegasus.jpg

This may of course be the first ever picture, taken before any of those somewhat necessary items had been added. I saw this boat at WRC about 2/3 weeks ago and certainly had to have a second and third look! For the life of me I can’t remember if it did have any rails added but somehow I can’t believe it would be left like that. Woe betide anyone who sleepwalks!!

55 minutes ago, trambo said:

I think this is a doctored photograph with the boats name and Waveney River Centre logo added. Hull looks proper filthy for a new boat too.

Fred

Fred I was thinking the same thing. The girl doesn't sit right in the photo her left foot seems to be hovering above the deck.

The top looks too pristine to be on such a filthy hull. The cloud reflection in the side windows, look to be a strange angle.

It is built though and proper photo's are on their page. Marketed as having a bathing platform?