Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

54 minutes ago, Ray said:

😂  🍺🍺 

Edit: Silly me, that one was to avoid the censor wasn't it? Doh 😂😂

I’m convinced it’s the ruddy spellcheck!! It waits until I’ve finished writing, then goes through and amends what it thinks needs amending.  Bloody technology!! 🤷‍♂️  On the other hand, I might have made less ‘clock ups’ if I’d put my glasses on!! :default_coat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Lulu said:

It was an absolute pleasure finally meeting you, Deb and Harley.  Have a fantastic rest of your holiday :)

Thanks Sam.  It was great to meet you, Graham and Desmond, at last.  Obviously, I realise that you are coming towards the end of your break, but enjoy the rest of yours, too and all the best with your other plans!  Keep us posted!

• Like 1

Love that shot Malcolm. You're really taking advantage of the good weather. I've been thinking about what to do drone wise, when I've filmed all the places I want to. Might go for something like this to add to each page. Can you remind me again what you're using please - is it the mini 2 or mini 3? 

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

Love that shot Malcolm. You're really taking advantage of the good weather. I've been thinking about what to do drone wise, when I've filmed all the places I want to. Might go for something like this to add to each page. Can you remind me again what you're using please - is it the mini 2 or mini 3? 

I currently have three - severe attack of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome).  I have a Mavic Air 2, a Mini 2 and recently bought a Mini 3 Pro.  Most of the latest drone photos are with the Mini 3.  It has a larger sensor than even the Air 2, yet gives all the freedoms that a sub 250 gram drone comes with.  It’s a fantastic little piece of technology.

When we get back from holiday, my intention is to sell the Mini 2, which has now become virtually redundant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I currently have three - severe attack of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome).  I have a Mavic Air 2, a Mini 2 and recently bought a Mini 3 Pro.  Most of the latest drone photos are with the Mini 3.  It has a larger sensor than even the Air 2, yet gives all the freedoms that a sub 250 gram drone comes with.  It’s a fantastic little piece of technology.

When we get back from holiday, my intention is to sell the Mini 2, which has now become virtually redundant.

The latest set of photos do look fantastic (not that those from the Mini 2 didn't). The Mini 3 is a great product offering and I think the pro controller makes for a slicker experience.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

The latest set of photos do look fantastic (not that those from the Mini 2 didn't). The Mini 3 is a great product offering and I think the pro controller makes for a slicker experience.

Thanks.  Really pleased with the Mini 3.  The controller with the built in screen is good.  Some negative comments from the YouTube testers, but the screen doesn’t dim and I find it much easier to use.  DJI really have captured the market with their prosumer drones imho.

• Like 1

Tuesday 12th July

I was awake early.  The forecast had promised another sunny day, but it was a dull, grey start.  We weren’t in any particular rush, so had a leisurely breakfast.  Sam (Lulu) stopped by to say that she and Graham were making a move, heading for their favoured destination for the day.

With breakfast consumed, we set off for Potter.  We needed a couple of bits and we could get those in the Temple of Tat that is Lathams.  As anticipated, all of the BA moorings were full, so we turned into Woods yard and started to reverse into a mooring, when one of their staff shouted that it was a changeover day and no visiting craft were permitted.  We needed water and he pointed to a hose on the opposite quay, so we moored, topped up and moved to their newly renovated visitor moorings.

No sooner had we tied up than an elderly lady approached the wife, asking for some assistance.  It turned out that they were on their first holiday afloat and at the age of 81, her husband was ticking something off his bucket list by having their first Broads holiday, but struggling with his mooring.  We helped them tie up and chatted for a while.

I managed to escape from Lathams without doing too much damage to my bank balance and a couple of cakes too!  Back at the boat, it was time to head off.  I wanted to head for The Ant, with the intention of spending at least three days on my favourite of the northern rivers.

We passed under Ludham Bridge with plenty of room to spare, even though the marker was showing just 8’6”, just three inches more than we needed.  It was still very overcast, with the sun poking through the cloud from time to,time, but the heat was oppressive and stifling.

I hoped for a decent wild mooring.  As expected, Johnny Crowes Staithe was occupied, but we found one just a little way further up the river.  We moored, but found that there must have been a wasp nest close by, as there were far too many of them flying around for comfort.  We set off again, crossed Barton Broad and arrived at Paddy’s Lane to find plenty of room.  We chose our spot and secured Norfolk Lady before relaxing for the afternoon.

Just before 17:00, I set up our Cobb and got dinner cooking.  We had a belly of pork from the Ludham Butchers, which I seasoned and rubbed with olive oil before placing it in the Cobb.  Prep done, it was time for a beer.

We had a few light showers as the evening progressed, but not really enough to clear the air, which remained stuffy.  The meat was cooked just after 19:00, which we had with some mushrooms and new potatoes.  Very tasty!

As darkness fell, the grey sky developed a strange yellow hue.  We had our hot drinks and retired as usual, around 22:00, when it was still really too warm for comfort.  I eventually dozed off, hoping for a cooler, but brighter day to follow.

No photos of scenery to speak of - a combination of heat and a lack of inspiration, I think, but I thought I’d share a couple of pics of our dinner and my liquid refreshment! Sorry!

FAD2707C-BC2B-40A3-8C11-2F18E02685F5.jpeg

85DC1168-1247-41B4-9620-DCE1B512A2B7.jpeg

A1330626-A70A-43AF-B18C-D6944DB811D8.jpeg

996B6DA4-1014-46B2-99D5-BAC6755A5440.jpeg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

That’s an impressive piece of belly pork! I’ve had my eye on those Cob cookers for a while, but I’m not sure I can justify the purchase with Graham having gone veggie. 

Treat yourself, Helen.  It’s a great bit of kit!  There’s a deal on one on Amazon currently, but you do need a few extras that aren’t cheap, to be fair.

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

That’s an impressive piece of belly pork! I’ve had my eye on those Cob cookers for a while, but I’m not sure I can justify the purchase with Graham having gone veggie. 

We love our Cobb and would never go back to a traditional barbecue or camping stove

It's brilliant for meat, veg or even pasta etc as you can fill the outer ring with water and use it to steam as well as traditional cooking

They are pricey, but a great piece of kit and well worth the outlay in our opinion

Must admit, never cooked pork belly on ours @Mouldy

But yours looks delicious 😋

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tempest said:

Must admit, never cooked pork belly on ours @Mouldy

But yours looks delicious 😋

It was - some beech chips on the charcoal (I used a ‘Cobblestone’ for this) and cider in the moat (outer ring).  Two hours later, that was the result.

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

It was - some beech chips on the charcoal (I used a ‘Cobblestone’ for this) and cider in the moat (outer ring).  Two hours later, that was the result.

Stop it Malcolm! You're making me feel very hungry!

• Haha 2

Wednesday 13th July

A much brighter start to the day.  Neither of us had slept well due to the overnight heat and whilst we could have left the windows open, there were too many hungry flying things about for us to not close them.

Anxious to make up for lost photo opportunities the previous day, I grabbed a camera and a drone before wandering round to what was the Barton Turf moorings.  With a few shots on the camera, I sent the drone up to capture the scene.

We had breakfast before setting off for Gayes Staithe, which was full when we arrived, so we chugged slowly round to Neatishead and moored.  There were only about four other craft when we arrived, a couple left and a few more replaced them.  After I’d showered, I wandered up to the shop.  Deb stayed on the boat with the dog, who was struggling with the heat.  I bought a few essentials, including some part baked rolls, before making my way back to the Staithe.

By now, it was filling up and we decided to move on.  I like Neatishead, but not for an overnight stop.  We cast off, carefully manoeuvring onto the dyke.  Some cloud had drifted over, but by now had cleared away, leaving a glorious warm, but breezy afternoon which was altogether much more bearable than the oppressive heat of the previous day.

We reached the end of Lime Kiln Dyke to see someone leaving the end stern on mooring.  Happy days!  We’ll have that!  So we tied up and spent a very peaceful afternoon there, chatting to some other holiday makers and helping a couple of crews who were struggling to moor.

We had dinner of Chinese chicken kebabs from the butchers at Ludham, with salad, before enjoying a restful evening, me reading and the wife finishing a jumper she was knitting for a work colleagues new baby.

After a disturbed sleep the previous night, I was grateful that the evening was cooler and I didn’t need any rocking when we retired around 22:00.  

D317D9B7-5BC1-49B8-B332-5AB74609FAF2.jpeg

3BF561CA-FB97-43C8-AB20-F20C369BB866.jpeg

4F24C59F-0EDC-4721-8166-0E6A291E238A.jpeg

C9975C0B-C97B-4898-849D-B4AA0FA25E24.jpeg

92D50879-19B5-4A38-B991-676081D711F0.jpeg

213554E6-06F5-465F-A077-F2DDFEEEB8D0.jpeg

14318BEF-C4C8-4397-B973-75F6AF5A2D12.jpeg

CBB1EE92-70E0-4ABE-B0BF-9E24922107D7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1