Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

Monday 18th July

The weatherman said that it was going to be a hot one and it didn’t look as if he was going to be wrong when we woke.  I’d already taken a few photos with the drone from Gayes Staithe earlier in the week, so concentrated on trying to get a few shots of the wildlife.  Someone else who was moored there had said that a family of otters had been swimming there the previous morning, so I sat for a while with my camera to watch for them.  

Sadly, they didn’t show themselves, but I was rewarded with several glimpses of kingfishers darting about the trees surrounding the staithe.  One sat for a couple of minutes on a branch, but I fear that even with my long telephoto lens and teleconverter fitted, he was just a speck in the viewfinder.  I’ll have to wait until I get home and download the cards onto our computer to see whether the shots I took were successful.

We moved off at around 08:00.  My pan was to head for Ranworth and moor for a while before looking for a quieter spot later.  We cruised slowly back down The Any and temptation nearly got the better of me when I saw Johnny Crowes Staithe was unoccupied.  We carried on, under the bridge where we had much more clearance than on the way upstream.

When we arrived at Ranworth, there was just one available space on the side moorings, so I manoeuvred carefully into it and tied up.  I sent the drone up to capture a few more shots and watched the usual comings and goings.  The crew of a private boat was almost ordering a hirer, who’d been sitting on the bow of his, quietly fishing, to move his and another craft over so they could squeeze into a gap about two feet too narrow for their craft.  I couldn’t believe their arrogance!

We bought some butter and a couple of ice creams before casting off and heading back out onto the main river.  By now, it was really hot.  The sun was beating down and anywhere with shade was preferred.  I did think that Salhouse may have been an option, but dislike the sardine like stern on moorings there.  Much to my amazement, the St Benedict’s church moorings were empty, so we moored there for the rest of the day.

Later on, a Richardson’s hireboat arrived and moored behind us, but they were quiet and didn’t disturb us.  We sat under the trees, in the shade and had a lovely afternoon, reading and watching the boats go by.  The Cobb came out and we cooked a whole chicken on it, which tasted every bit as good as it looked.

We sat outside reading until it was getting dark and the midges started to become too numerous.  It had been hot and tiring, so we had our customary hot drinks and retired.  Sleep didn’t come easily though.  It was still hot, even just laying on the bed with no covers, but I eventually drifted off, thinking about how wonderful this holiday had been so far.

135D5469-53DD-4F8A-BB22-B6402FEB97FF.jpeg

CF991314-ED78-4525-BA10-4870C329FCB4.jpeg

85578FF5-1869-42B0-9B34-334B6BBD708D.jpeg

24247217-8F23-42E9-92C9-8FA8BC4E7F8F.jpeg

C2E25CD3-216C-4E39-98EA-CAD2125DFE38.jpeg

DB3BEBBC-E4ED-409D-9393-B06DB4F00CD2.jpeg

9C41F773-BA60-4507-B108-BFD79C3E0110.jpeg

C1CBAED8-13DF-4466-A0A4-ADEB219CD54B.jpeg

3B67083B-3D00-4006-8EB1-BDDB1AE3AE0E.jpeg

726F13AD-9A05-4301-AC06-E47B946D585C.jpeg

69667970-52BC-4ADA-B6DA-A411B4E18DD9.jpeg

A9CE7D52-0EFF-4050-B677-4F7C27C8DD80.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

I do have a BBQ / fire pit thingy but it's really too big and uses too much charcoal, after this blog I'm really going to have to buy a Cobb !!

Go for it Neil.  I’m loving ours!!

A little out of sequence, but I had to post this!  We were sitting, eating our dinner and we had an uninvited guest come to visit.  Not satisfied with sitting in the aft well, she invited herself in the ruddy boat!  Cheek!!!

I’m sure if it wasn’t so hot, Harley would have had something to say, but she just lay and watched.

881460A5-2171-4C9E-A8A1-6C2CD369B1A0.jpeg

• Like 6

Compared to this evening on our mooring on the river Ant, Polkey's Mill last night was much the better option. We had a very comfortable night, and I even slept under the duvet. I can already see that tonight is going to be a different matter!

Tuesday 19th July

After a fairly hot and uncomfortable night, I eventually gave up trying to sleep and climbed out of bed.  Today was predicted to be the hottest day on record on the UK and looking at the clear, blue sky, the predictions looked as if they could be accurate.  I took a few photos, before the river traffic started and we had an early breakfast.

Destination today was Hoveton, so I wanted to start early, get in and out of Roy’s early and find somewhere peaceful to spend the afternoon and evening.  We cast off at about 07:30 and had a steady cruise through Horning, where to my amazement there was an empty mooring space on the Staithe and  on, into Wroxham/Hoveton.

The weed growth and the clarity of the water as we approached Wroxham surprised me.  Weed is usually clearly visible at places like Bargate or above Potter bridge, but on The Bure?  I wondered how soon it would be before the BA got round to giving it a trim.

I swung into Barnes basin, formed by the pontoons and moored, before having a shower and changing into clean clothes.  Deb stayed with Harley whilst I wandered into town to collect a few bits from Roy’s.   Back at the boat, I flew my small drone and took a few photos, much to the annoyance of a couple of gulls who were squawking loudly at it, as I brought it down to land.

With all my errands run, it was time to get underway again and we made our way back the way we’d come earlier.  The river was predictably busy and by now it was extremely hot, although with the boat facing in the right direction there was a pleasant breeze blowing through the open windows.  Trouble was, it wasn’t facing in the right direction for long enough!!

We went back through Horning and  passed a half empty Cockshoot Dyke.  I wanted to moor on Fleet Dyke, so we chugged steadily on and turned opposite St Benets Abbey.

The wild moorings near the junction of The Bure we’re occupied, but offered no shade anyway, so we carried on to the moorings on the bend, just beyond the original course of The Bure.  The far end was empty and with the trees there would soon offer some shade and respite from the sun.

Safely moored, we sat and watched the comings and goings and I flew the drone again, this time without attracting the attention of any birds.   It was soon time to set up the Cobb for dinner.  We had lamb steaks, so I set it going with a few briquettes and when it was hot enough, put the griddle on and cooked the lamb. We enjoyed it with some stuffed mushrooms, griddled tomatoes and a side salad.  As previously mentioned, we did have an uninvited guest visit as we ate.  I wondered how long it would take to cook duck on the Cobb. :default_eusa_naughty: Only joking! :default_biggrin:

We sat outside for the rest of the evening, watching the sun go down  and reading, eventually going in when the midges became too numerous.

Predictably, we had hot drinks before turning in, just laying on top of the duvet.  Once again, sleep wasn’t quick in coming, it was far too hot and uncomfortable, but eventually tiredness won for both of us and we dozed off.

Not sure how the photos have loaded in this order.  It’s too hot to delete and reload them.  Sorry!

439D2E0E-5A90-4973-854F-53B01525E918.jpeg

8DF5E046-D405-4564-A88F-2DA12346AC1D.jpeg

CCB4411D-82E7-47C5-B97E-5EC580288137.jpeg

7DB2503C-8EC3-42C7-8999-89A95EAD15A9.jpeg

30B5A3A0-0BD1-4F15-B6E4-D43D92930A81.jpeg

7380C867-E358-4FFC-89E1-6B1A1422D60B.jpeg

69D03654-0246-48EA-97F0-E491AF1C7C75.jpeg

1BC20DEC-6998-43B0-8179-81928C1E4E75.jpeg

B1CC61AB-6541-4E21-8C71-D08738D80F9E.jpeg

5A5D6B10-FE76-49F8-AC46-AEF56D2DB32E.jpeg

F7EB3CCF-CD66-4C64-920E-25E5979C7214.jpeg

CB09158A-F42D-4124-92E3-A66654F918EB.jpeg

A04FBD59-CDC6-4FA0-A7CC-4755D964DD8A.jpeg

1C541939-FC2B-4A2A-9964-F9F5A79B4A31.jpeg

786FAD6A-2DF6-4DA7-B4F7-679EE1C12B56.jpeg

C6ECE67B-2EF5-47A9-8486-ADFFCBFDA64A.jpeg

285CB810-E0E8-4138-B00F-7A5499E202A7.jpeg

89A8E39A-B71F-4921-A6E8-11A3E0A98042.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Wednesday 20th July

What a difference a few hours can make?  From hot sun the previous day to a very gloomy start to Wednesday.  To be honest, it wasn’t unexpected as I’d had to go to the loo at about 01:30 and seen flashes of lightning in the distance and heard a few rumbles of thunder ( not me in the loo, I hasten to add😁).  It had also rained a little, but there was absolutely no sign of any residual raindrops on the roof of Norfolk Lady.  However, neither of us had slept well - it was just too hot!

We were in no rush - intended destination was Womack Dyke, to visit the butchers for meat to last until the end of the holiday and also potentially to meet up with Helen, Graham and their family to go to the Kings Arms for a meal later.

We had breakfast before casting off and cruising slowly to Womack Dyke.  My favoured spot at the end furthest from Hunters yard was occupied, so we moored initially at the other end.  Not long after, the boat where I originally wanted to go, moved off, so we moved to the vacated spot.  It was a decision that I regretted later.

By now, the sun had broken through and the gloom from earlier in the morning was replaced with bright sunshine and it was getting very warm, too.  We wandered into the village. . . . . . well, I wandered into the village and left Deb and Harley at the staithe.  The heat was once again too much for the dog.

I got what I needed from the butchers and rejoined Deb.  We had an ice cream, before returning to the boat, but not before we’d bought some Portuguese Tarts from the pop-up bakery, near the staithe.  We met Helen and her sons there, who almost purchased one of everything on the menu.  It’s good stuff and highly recommended if you’ve not sampled their bread and cakes!

Back at the boat, with lunch eaten, we sat and spent a quiet afternoon watching the boats pass by.  I flew a drone to get a few more photos and we noticed Helen and Graham out in the sailing dinghy hired from Horning Pleasurecraft.

All was well until we were hit by a passing hire cruiser.  Not satisfied with sideswiping us with the stern of his boat, he carried on and hit the boat moored behind us.  I grabbed my phone and took a couple of photos before running along the bank and shouting at the helm to stop.  Needless to say, he carried on.

Fortunately, a ranger passed by a couple of minutes later.  We flagged him down and explained what had happened.  He returned a few minutes later to say that they’d caught up with the the boat and had a word with the crew, who’d apologised.  He said that there was no visible damage to the side of Norfolk Lady and I’ve since had a chance to examine the hull myself and can see no fresh marks, but will get Paul at the yard to check for anything I may have missed.

I’ve called the yard the hireboat was from and sent a written report and a photo by email.  We’ll see what happens!

We set off for the pub later, leaving plenty of time to get there, so as not to rush Harley, but it was cooler and she got there without issues.  We met up with Helen, Graham and their sons and had a meal at the pub.  I have to say that their carvery is very good, with a superb choice of veg to accompany the meat.  It was an enjoyable evening.

We returned to the boat to find one of Richardson’s old bathtubs moored in front of us, despite the fact that we were at the end of the mooring.  Their stern was rubbing against our bow, so I adjusted the ropes to give some clearance.

The attitude of some people is frankly beyond belief!!  Anyway, time was getting on and we were both tired after struggling to sleep the previous night, it wasn’t long before we had our hot drink and retired for the night.

102465BD-A170-4D50-B28D-65AA58E6D6A0.jpeg

A346BDE9-C55D-4BAE-8BD5-3BAF40ED0B86.jpeg

E7D680E5-3965-43FB-817F-4D40C9C766FC.jpeg

272FCD37-DEAB-45FF-8BB5-0DC866995116.jpeg

57D2895E-8D1B-413C-95A0-CC3F8CAD66B3.jpeg

E24D021D-5889-4D82-BA39-51FCFBDC014C.jpeg

4F2309F7-D3A5-4E2C-9BF3-32D79530B9E5.jpeg

BF1F7B62-DF35-4892-84FD-99D80C717C66.jpeg.2f4c2517039d8cd4c48ad4a863611caa.jpeg

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about the inconsiderate third parties Malc.. its hard to fathom how they felt that mooring across your bow was appropriate!

Fortunately the other parts of your day and the photos hopefully compensated.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ray said:

Sorry to hear about the inconsiderate third parties Malc.. its hard to fathom how they felt that mooring across your bow was appropriate!

Fortunately the other parts of your day and the photos hopefully compensated.

Yeah, it’s been a good holiday Ray.  Sad to be going home this weekend in one sense, but now most schools have broken up, silly season starts in earnest next week and it’s probably best to enjoy our weekend on the southern rivers for a couple of months.

There’s always one . . . . and we found two of them yesterday!   It’s such a shame that a few inconsiderate hirers create so much ill feeling between some owners and hirers.  I guess it’s just the way of the world - a general lack of respect  by some for others and their property.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Roy said:

Hi Malcom please could you do one of your 360 drone shots over Brundall I’d love to see how the hobroughs dyke area has changed its over 30 years since I was last moored there 

thanks 

I’ll try and do one on Saturday when we get back to base! 👍

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Yeah, it’s been a good holiday Ray.  Sad to be going home this weekend in one sense, but now most schools have broken up, silly season starts in earnest next week and it’s probably best to enjoy our weekend on the southern rivers for a couple of months.

There’s always one . . . . and we found two of them yesterday!   It’s such a shame that a few inconsiderate hirers create so much ill feeling between some owners and hirers.  I guess it’s just the way of the world - a general lack of respect  by some for others and their property.

Hi Malcolm, we had an almost identical incidend at Sutton, whilst in the hotel having a meal, one of Ricos old bath tubs decided to move our mooriing lines so he could squeeze into a gap that just wasnt big enough.So we were touching and my hull had been damaged. Of course they denied all knowledge, when i challenged them about moving my mooring lines,they said a bloke outside the pub said it would be all right!!Luckily i had before and after pictures of the gap.Richardsons were very good about having the repairs done, but it does make you wonder?

Kevin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We met Helen and her sons there, who almost purchased one of everything on the menu.  It’s good stuff and highly recommended if you’ve not sampled their bread and cakes!

Snitch! It was worth it though.

I am desperate for sleep this evening, having woken at 4 this morning, but I couldn’t resist the pecan pie I bought yesterday. I’ll probably wake again tonight with a sugar rush.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

There’s always one . . . . and we found two of them yesterday!

You certainly did and the combination of both would have wrecked my day, to be honest. The ignorance and unpleasantness of some elements of the population never ceases to dumbfound me. Good on the ranger for taking action.

• Like 2

Some really great photos, thanks for sharing. Interesting to see in your wroxham photos, that Barnes haven't developed the old royalls site. I haven't been round there since Nigel and Sarah sold up I'd thought they'd of knocked all that down and either built on it or create more basin space for there fleet. Guess it's all in the pipeline. 

• Thanks 1