Reedham & Somerleyton Bridges Out Of Order

Dear All

Urgent Boating News – Bridges Update

Reedham Bridge is unable to swing due to mechanical problems.

Somerleyton Bridge is unable to swing due to the heat.

Kind regards.

Karen

Karen Tyrrell
Administrative Officer Operations
Broads Authority
Tel: 01603 756035

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734

I was speaking with someone who appeared to have a good deal of knowledge regarding the swing bridges on the southern broads. 

By all accounts there is a warning to the operator of the bridge if 5% of the 100 mm gap in the rails is reached due to expansion of the rails in the heat. The said operator can not operate the bridge whilst in this condition.

It seems to me that a higher tolerance is required or just fit the summer rails which have a larger gap (I believe they are still on the bridge between the tracks).

The chap could be talking utter rot, but it makes you think.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I was speaking with someone who appeared to have a good deal of knowledge regarding the swing bridges on the southern broads. 

By all accounts there is a warning to the operator of the bridge if 5% of the 100 mm gap in the rails is reached due to expansion of the rails in the heat. The said operator can not operate the bridge whilst in this condition.

It seems to me that a higher tolerance is required or just fit the summer rails which have a larger gap (I believe they are still on the bridge between the tracks).

There will no doubt be a reason for the requirement...not necessarily a good one though.

I do not think the gap in normal operation can be 10 cm though. A train wheel would drop a long way at a gap like that. I've never seen anything approaching that size gap on the railways.

10 mm maybe, if taken at very low speed?

usually bridges have a staggered gap with the two sections of rail overlapping half their width across the gap so the wheel has something to ride on at all times 5% would leave a 5mm gap, which if the rail expanded a bit more wouldnt allow the two sections to mesh again when closed.

On 27/07/2019 at 10:56, grendel said:

usually bridges have a staggered gap with the two sections of rail overlapping half their width across the gap so the wheel has something to ride on at all times 5% would leave a 5mm gap, which if the rail expanded a bit more wouldnt allow the two sections to mesh again when closed.

Having looked out of the window while crossing the swing bridges on the Ipswich to Norwich via Lowestoft train today (don't ask), the track on and off the bridges seemed to just have a simple gap between them - there didn't seem to be any overlapping.