Syphon Fuel From Car

Here's what in my mind seems like a really stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway.....

Boat is in the marina and needs some fuel, its a petrol boat, my car is a petrol car... I have 2 jerry cans I can fill at the garage. I can also fill up my car at the garage.

To save many trips back and forth, is there any reason I can't use the existing syphon I have an take fuel out of my car tank and stick it in the boat? It seems like a quick way of getting an extra 50 odd litres to the boat without the garage complaining about the fuel containers or doing endless shuttle runs to fill it up.

Well as I have the 2 Jerry cans... Car to cans, cans to boat.... If you drain too much don't put the petrol in the boat... Just trying to reduce the runs to the garage.

And no splitting, it's a pump that I've used before not just a tube so you don't need a gob full of petrol 😉

Find an easier garage or more jerry cans and go via a few different garages, keep the others covered.

I transport a lot of fuel for the boat (admittedly diesel) and have about 10x 20 litre jerry cans bought off ebay as a pallet load, I got them at £7.50 each but that was few years ago now, just needed to replace the seals.

We transport avgas for work and have 2x 150 litre tanks we made with fia approved bladders and tried to get info about transport rules and all we got was "check with your insurers" so I don't know what are rules and what are nothing more than guidelines.

I would query as to the mooring owners not being happy too with you running a syphon pump on their moorings due to the risk of ignition .

Petrol vapour is a very dangerous entity and should be treated with utmost respect , I agree with what the others have already said and would head down the extra Jerry cans route , and would brim the tanks and just top up each visit .

I take 2x 20L cans full every couple of visits to clean/put stuff on boat through the spring and every now and then through the summer. This way I keep the tanks topped up near full at all times 

Ive never had a problem at any filling station filling both at the same time

Its a small compromise in my mind to avoid old Diesel engines which I can’t stand on my tranquil day on the river

(yes I know modern diesels are nice and smooth which would be great but I can’t afford Modern anything in the boat world I’m afraid)

Now there is no unleaded available riverside (at least on the south) there seems no alternative to the "the two 20l cans option". My boat has a healthy thirst necessitating frequent surriptious trips to the petrol station. Always a bit awkward seemingly putting 40l unleaded in a diesel 4x4!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

The law states you are allowed to fill one metal 10 litre can or two five litre metal or plastic cans at a time, but many petrol stations in boating areas will turn a blind eye. Otherwise stop at two or three different stations on your way to the boat. 

Petrol syphon pumps should be the bulb type, not powered. You are asking for a barbecued polo if you use something like a 12v pump or a drill powered pump, (which I have seen people do) as they have exposed brushes, meaning sparks and petrol vapour. Not a good mix.