Any One Fancy A Woodie.

BrundallNavy

Where would you estimate airdraft guys, 7ft ?
She can get under Wroxham. The day they did it was a bit of a squeeze whereas WR was easy. Lives opposite at Horning. Lovely boat and deserves a good home

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Lovely looking boat, but I would suggest possibly at an unrealistic price. If I recollect correctly she was for sale through an online broker quite recently at somewhere near £60k. By and large woodies just don't sell at these prices (there are always exceptions for exceptional boats). Mind you, 11 years without a lift out is mighty impressive!

21 minutes ago, Spider said:

Lovely looking boat, but I would suggest possibly at an unrealistic price. If I recollect correctly she was for sale through an online broker quite recently at somewhere near £60k. By and large woodies just don't sell at these prices (there are always exceptions for exceptional boats). Mind you, 11 years without a lift out is mighty impressive!

Sedgemoor was originally up for sale at over £30 k, it two had not been lifted for around 10 years and it definitely shows, I believe it was eventually sold at sub £5k.

Sadly, there are many myths about woodies.  Broadland Swift has an iroko (poor man's teak) hull.  After more than fifty years of being in the wet stuff, (only being lifted for a quick antifoul and tar varnish) she has recently had to have some strip planking at her stern replaced.  Please note, however, that the iroko planking had rotted from the inside not the outside.  It was rainwater that did the damage.  I would venture to suggest that woodies rot and sink due to poor initial design and/or poor workmanship and/or cheap materials and/or poor maintenance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Springsong said:

I could well be wrong but I feel she may well have a teak hull, this of course does not make her unsinkable but reduces the risk of terminal rot as with mahogany.

I used to live opp a Dr. of Wood!! who was a Director of T.R.A.D.A. in Knaphill, when I lived at Bledlow Ridge. He told me Teak best for salt water, Mahogany for fresh. apparantly if you want teak to rot let moss grow on it.

actually a very good wood for wet environments is greenheart, it resists rot and beetle attack by being poisonous and is nasty stuff to work, many years ago myself and a mate got given a couple of offcuts from where they were replacing the groynes at a local beach, i have a raised bed made from some of it that has been out in the weather for about 20 years now and still as good as ever, the big problem is that it gives you splinters like nothing, and within a few hours (if you havent got them out) they begin to fester something horrible (trust me you can get splinters from this stuff by looking at it too hard). the sawdust is poisonous, and its heavy (doesnt float). it is generally used for piling and groynes.

• Like 1