Mayhem On The Broads

Aboattime

Just thought i would share a few things that we have come across on our last two cruises 

1 Whilst moored at Neatishead a group of young lads urinating by the rubbish bins , parked cars,information board, at breakfast time, all in full view of the moored boats.All from a number of moored sailing cruisers.

2 We were moored at Sutton one evening, and returned to find that our mooring lines had been undone,boat moved, so a hire cruiser could moor in the newly created gap. {gap was still not big enough as our bow was over hanging and hitting there stern.}

3  Moored at  Ludham bridge last Saturday, , one large hire cruiser decided to turn for the water point,where boats are moored on both sides of the river, it hit a moored cruiser 4 times before it completed the turn.. Both cruisers from the same yard.A few moments later a small moored Weston cruiser was first hit on the bow by a day boat going fast.Luckily a ranger was at hand to do the paper work,but before he could finish, the Weston was hit on the stern by a hire cruiser.The ranger told the helmsman to moor up so he could take his details,he couldnt moor in the large gap, so ranger told him to go further up the river to moor in the next large mooring space and he would walk up as he needed a word with them.The cruiser went up stream,but never did moor for the ranger.

:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I too would like to share the last few times we visited the Broads .

wonderful scenery , fantastic weather and considerate and sensible neighbours and fellow Broads lovers , it’s not always doom and gloom , I absolutely love it !!!! 

Agree with everything you say Simon also this week I've seen more private owners than hire boaters who can't handle their boats or tie up

PS I've been hit 3 times this week

Do we all mean the same thing by "hit"?

I wouldn't describe my boat as being hit unless it involved damage or things falling on the floor, maybe having to steady my balance if standing.

Being bumped however is anything from a barely perceptible nudge to  an audible fender squeak.

(My wife however describes a near miss as being sunk with all hands!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good point Ray, Many times have I been nudged, rubbed or had other contacts of a gentle nature but these I discount. For me a "hit" is where damage is done or an unexpected expletive passes my lips.

The broads welcomes novices and newbies and long may that continue to be the case. That's how the majority of us found the place!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ray said:

Do we all mean the same thing by "hit"?

I wouldn't describe my boat as being hit unless it involved damage or things falling on the floor, maybe having to steady my balance if standing.

Being bumped however is anything from a barely perceptible nudge to  an audible fender squeak.

(My wife however describes a near miss as being sunk with all hands!)

OK Ray bumped

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Good point Ray, Many times have I been nudged, rubbed or had other contacts of a gentle nature but these I discount. For me a "hit" is where damage is done or an unexpected expletive passes my lips.

The broads welcomes novices and newbies and long may that continue to be the case. That's how the majority of us found the place!

I was wondering what you were getting at with your first sentence there John? 😂😂

• Haha 1