Mooring At Wroxham

Ray

36 minutes ago, Ray said:

What is Lightning's airdraft Neil? I can never be sure what Dakota will need with the arched bridges. We have 6 foot 8 inches at the highest middle point and  about 5 or 6 inches less at the shoulders

Hi Ray

We`re rated at 6`9", but have an annoying horrible tv ariel mount which increases the airdraught by around 5 inches.  Having said that, when we went under Gt yarmouth bridges at 7`4", we had about 7-8" clearance to the top of said mounting. So without that mount, i reckon she would be moor like 6`5" or so. We have our AGM in 2 weeks time, so will be looking to get rid of the ariel as is, and replace with a more convenient totally removeable and stowable set up. I`ve seen telescopic ariel masts, i think ZimbllV has one, which we saw fully extended, and which can be removed and stowed.  Also, we have a dual nav light on top, which we are also trying to get removed and replaced with seperate units on the side of the wheelhouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes Neil, Zimbi has a telescopic aerial mast you saw it a while ago I got it from Norwich Camping at Blofield 

I only take the aerial off the mast for the winter otherwise it stays on all season because it collapses to lower than the cabin height.

Now have you put the stainless steel tiles beside the cooker to protect the woodwork?

paul

2 hours ago, Ray said:

We have 6 foot 8 inches at the highest middle point and  about 5 or 6 inches less at the shoulders

I'm no expert by any means but I would have thought you would have a decent chance to get through at that with reasonable river levels. We got through in May with Tower Bridge which is 'plated' at 7 feet although I think its more like 6' 10''

There was room to spare too. Just a thought.

Wroxham Bridge jpeg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, perhaps I told someone the wrong thing last week. I was in Barnes marina and a bloke just as it was turning dark asked me about mooring. I just assumed that he was in a hire boat and told him he'd be OK to moor up as it wasn't a changeover day. He did mention something about having to pay £15 which from a hirer only perspective seemed very odd. Perhaps he was in private boat and got stiffed in the morning.

Always moor at the Wroxham Hotel or is it The Hotel Wroxham these days? Nice mooring, reasonably quiet at night and mooring fee refundable against meals in the restaurant. Food is good if a bit pricey for the Broads but we have never had a bad meal there.

When Brister Craft was closing I'm sure Mike said to me that the moorings would remain. Something which has not happened but if you zoom in on this ariel shot (photo by Cam Self) of the area you can clearly see the old moorings fenced off. Is there a story or dispute about this land. Would certainly be welcome if they were opened again.

Fred

Wroxham

• Like 4

3 hours ago, trambo said:

When Brister Craft was closing I'm sure Mike said to me that the moorings would remain. Something which has not happened but if you zoom in on this ariel shot (photo by Cam Self) of the area you can clearly see the old moorings fenced off. Is there a story or dispute about this land. Would certainly be welcome if they were opened again.

As far as I can see, there was a planning application approved for the site for holiday homes – which have not been built. A subsequent application was approved (in Feb 2018) for a variation of conditions, to have the ‘holiday use only’ condition varied to allow use as second homes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1