Simplified Ph Bridge Clearance Chart

TeamElla

Whilst I am extremely grateful to the original architect of the formula for calculating bridge clearance at Potter Heigham (strowager I believe), I wanted a direct readout chart for use on board. 

SO HERE IT IS (see attachment)

The associated website for current gauge reading is here:-

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6217

Steve

PH Bridge Clearances.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

Still be some who wouldn't get under the new bridge

That`s exactly it, It will allow larger boats through, but high topped ones will still be restricted.

And for those who say about pedestrians, build a footbridge of about 12ft high where the old stone bridge is, no problem.

Who needs a planning authority with all the red tape crap when you`ve got me? :default_gbxhmm::default_laugh:

• Like 1

We moor the ‘other’ side of the bridge. ‘Er onboard  insists we use the pilot. One day I may feel confident enough to take the boat through myself, but I’ll never have the courage to disobey swmbo. This does limit our journeys sometimes having to have a suitable height when the pilot is on duty, but when we return the difference between the two sides becomes apparent and the special nature of the ‘quiet side’ is very much appreciated. I love the broads because of the differences throughout the whole area. It may seem selfish to want to keep my little corner, but even if I were a millionaire I wouldn’t buy a boat that wouldn’t go through Potter bridge. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Get the bomb disposal squad to detonate all those second world war bombs they dig up under the Thurne blockage. In other words, blow the bloody thing up.

That`s ME being a bit selfish now.

You don’t seem to have many supporters on this one speedtriple!!! 😄

• Like 1

MM has stated in another thread that (and I think I have got this right) it has not really been established why the clearance at PH Bridge has reduced as it has over recent years. There seem to be a variety of different theories and, of course, a variety of remedies suggested. Is there anywhere that an ‘expert’ view has appeared does anyone know? This seems to be a more appropriate thread for such a discussion (politely of course).

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

There seem to be a variety of different theories and, of course, a variety of remedies suggested. Is there anywhere that an ‘expert’ view has appeared does anyone know?

The very point I am making in that other thread.

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

This seems to be a more appropriate thread for such a discussion (politely of course).

Yes I see your point, but I made my comments where I did in reply to an offer made by the Broads Authority to respond to questions on that thread.

21 hours ago, vanessan said:

You don’t seem to have many supporters on this one speedtriple!!! 😄

I'm sticking up for ST on this one. I think that getting rid of that bridge and either diverting around or putting a bridge that has at least a 9ft air draft with 4ft at least draft below, would bring a beneficial income to the boating industry to the broads.

A lot of tourists have done the circuit on the broads and have their type of boat that they like to stick to and might not want to return for quite a while. Opening up parts of the broads that were not accessible before could bring a lot of them back and see bigger profits for PH businesses, as it can seem like PH is a dead end for most.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

That bridge keeps it special, may it stand for hundreds more years !

And the bridge is special, its a major part of Broads history, its medieval and needs to be preserved.  I accept we cant go through in our boat. We can always hire a day boat to see what is beyond it. 

• Like 3

I fully agree that removing the bridge is not an option. Raising it, bypassing it or reinstating the earlier clearance by some other means is what needs to be properly investigated. I do have to say I feel somewhat miffed by the comments that imply that the new levels are a good thing, an attitude I can only feel being somewhat selfish.

I can agree that boats built that would never have gone through do not need to be catered for, but some boats were designed specifically to go through, but now will not. Why should owners or hirers of such craft be penalised ? 

• Like 2