The Eastern Daily Press And Me.

MauriceMynah

It's a funny old thing but when I click on any link to articles in the EDP, my laptop takes an age to load it, and even has been known to crash. At best it slows the machine down to the speed of an arthritic Galapagos tortoise. I wonder if others have this problem or is it just that this laptop is a little old. For me it's just the EDP and another of Archant's publications (I don't remember what it's called).

• Like 3

Thats not the fault of your laptop, the so Called "free" newspapers are slow to load because of all those adverts they carry down the sides. Called "Clickbait" they are designed to get you to click on them and investigate.. everytime you do the Newspaper gets a tiny part of a penny for each click.

Each advert, is normally high resolution, called in from another site, all slowing your computer..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have the same problem with my iPad. I suspect it the amount of Java the pages seem to have but I thought my old ipad2 has a lot to do with it.

The Whitlingham article took several attempts to read the whole page with it crashing. I rarely ever get to the comments section without it having to reload.

The Edp web site is about as good as their reporting :default_pcwhack:

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 4

Why not install an adblocker on your computer browser.

I use Firefox and have Ad Blocker Pro installed, choose which pages show ads, like NBN. It's turned off, but for most other sites it is turned on and no annoying ads.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Why not install an adblocker on your computer browser.

I use Firefox and have Ad Blocker Pro installed, choose which pages show ads, like NBN. It's turned off, but for most other sites it is turned on and no annoying ads.

I have an ad blocker but most newspapers refuse to download properly unless you switch it off for their site

4 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Does it block the banner adverts in the sidebar for you?

It seems a lot of on-line 'newspapers' do this. It appears to be a 'script' that is running.

If they want us to read thier output perhaps they should sort  thier advertising out. When I come across this problem I just bog out of thier web site.

Clive.

I use Vivaldi nowadays, which is based on the Chromium platform but is much quicker than Chrome and much more configurable. I  have installed two stage ad blockers which are very good. They also stop videos auto playing which is very useful when tethered to the mobile broadband like now. 

Thanks Floydraser, I had that problem too, but hadn't worked out why it was happening, or how to describe it.

The bottom line for me is, I suppose, I'd like to read the article without all the **** happening. Is there a way for either the reader or the poster achieving this?

I see this from both sides - reader and newspaper - as I live a long way away and reading the papers keeps me in touch.  As does this forum!

If I buy a UK paper it will be a day out of date and cost around €3, even though it is printed in Marseille.  The Sunday Times costs €5 for a shortened version with no colour supplement or magazines, also printed in France.  So the answer is, I read the papers on line!

I accept that I am reading them totally free, and so they have to make their money from the advertising or they wouldn't bother to run the website.  There is no doubt though, that such intrusive advertising as they employ, is a blasted nuisance!

By the way, don't ever run any of their video clips.  They contain all sorts of viruses, which I had to have cleaned out by a professional.

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2019 at 08:30, MauriceMynah said:

It's a funny old thing but when I click on any link to articles in the EDP, my laptop takes an age to load it, and even has been known to crash. At best it slows the machine down to the speed of an arthritic Galapagos tortoise. I wonder if others have this problem or is it just that this laptop is a little old. For me it's just the EDP and another of Archant's publications (I don't remember what it's called).

I hope you realise MM, Windows 96 has been upgraded!  :default_icon_rolleyes: