Pitchfork Cheddar

quo vadis

We have an annual cheese and chillie fayre every August at nearby Wimbourne St Giles. Karen and i usually go and come back with a bit too much cheese, but this year, it was mostly chillies, so the cheese selection was very disappointing. We did however find some absolutely gorgeous mature farmhouse cheddar, with a lovely tangy mature taste, and a mildly hard but really creamy texture. It just melted on your tongue and made you wanted to eat the whole round. They also had a very pleasant oak smoked west country cheddar, very smokey indeed. 

We`ll be going again next year, but i may come home feeling rather fat. It`s amazing how moreish those little taster bits on the counters are :default_norty:.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, addicted said:

I really don't "get" todays chefs' obsession with chillies. Sill I suppose it makes a change from Balsamic vinegar.

Carole

That`s exactly what i say Carole. I`ve often said that chefs like Jamie Oliver could`nt cook anything if they could`nt get any chillies. I used to eat hot curries, chillies, kebabs etc, but started eating mild stuff when Karen and i got together, as it would make sharing easier. I then found out the food tasted so much better because my mouth was`nt being over powered by nothing more than heat. We now ALWAYS ask for anything from an Indian restaurant to be made mild.   I still have hot stuff, but more often that not when i`m suffering from a cold, where the hot spices seem to clear your nose and throat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

have bought direct from the Welch Cheese Company in the past. Highly recommended their Black Bomber is a must.

https://www.welshcheesecompany.co.uk/

Regards

Alan

Black Bomber is my usual cheddar , trouble is once you get the taste for it all other cheddars seem bland .

fortunately it is widely available , even Waitrose sell it now 

8 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Black Bomber is my usual cheddar , trouble is once you get the taste for it all other cheddars seem bland .

fortunately it is widely available , even Waitrose sell it now 

In Norfolk the only place that seems to sell it is Roys and the market stall (Cheese Stall) in Norwich.

The nearest place to me is Bakewell.

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

In Norfolk the only place that seems to sell it is Roys and the market stall (Cheese Stall) in Norwich.

The nearest place to me is Bakewell.

Regards

Alan

I remember us having a conversation in the Broadview about this in the middle of last month, i still have`nt found any down here in Dorset, though will keep a look out.

Horlicks Farms Cheddar is only available in food service and normally sold in 5Kg blocks and not available in consumer supermarket packaging.

Your best bet is looking for local deli's who buy it by the block and sell it by weight, or if your particularly keen on it, buy a 5Kg block :default_scaredmouse:

This Roy's have it in stock!!

http://www.royevansandsons.co.uk/index.php?page_id=146&cat=cheeses/block-cheese&product_id=462