Football And Corona

The big news at present, which I think is disgraceful. Many top clubs are still paying there very rich footballers full money. Yet many of  there back room staff across the board are on the Government 80% of there money. Not a good example. Clubs should set an example and pay there staff full.Money there players can afford.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The big news at present, which I think is disgraceful. Many top clubs are still paying there very rich footballers full money. Yet many of  there back room staff across the board are on the Government 80% of there money. Not a good example. Clubs should set an example and pay there staff full.Money there players can afford.

Well yes and no.

Many businesses that are bigger than football clubs are eligible and are furloughing their employees. As a result said employees are getting 80% of their wages, with some (lucky ones) having the balance made up by their employers.

There is a lot of money within football, but outside the PL there may only be a handful that that make a profit. 

This won't make me any friends, but footballers on high wages will also have high commitments, large short term mortgages, finance deals on cars, school fees etc. They do also pay a lot of tax.

Let's hope this finishes soon.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I agree in part.Yes indeed many outside of the PL and the championship are on low Money. However the top players should  set an example and take a cut in money. That money could  go to charities, many of which are suffering, there findings are drying up. 

• Like 2

Norwich City’s playing squad, Head Coach and Executive Committee have agreed to donate a percentage of their salaries to help those negatively impacted by COVID-19.

The club’s owners and directors have also contributed to the goodwill cause.

I just picked this up locally here in Norfolk. So maybe the start of something good.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I told-um, I did. Giving that Johnny Haines £100 a week will ruin the game.

Appologies to Fulham devotees I should have written Johnny Haynes.

When you look at the obscene amounts of money footballers earn these days, it seems even more incredible to us that Tony was obliged to turn down the offer of an apprenticeship with the Arsenal because the money was so low he was earning a  better wage as an apprentice  printer!

Carole

When I worked in the hotels in the mid seventies. We had a really good football team.One year winning all three cups on offer.One cup played at Highbury, one at Stamford bridge. Many of our team were semi pro.One had played for Chelsea under Tommy Doc. After watching him play in our final they offered him a contract back at the club.He turned them down,was earning more as a semi  pro and working for the hotel. 

• Sad 1

As chairman of Fulham Football Club, it was Tommy "you lucky people" Trinder who broke the wage cap in football by declaring something along the lines of - footballers are entertainers and should be paid as entertainers.

Sometimes I do wonder about the entertainment side though :default_dry:

Especially when you think of their so called talent at Spitting.      Having to be quarantined at home I should think they will all need Counselling before long,  poor little things.     I have an 81 year old sister who lives along and on the phone yesterday she said to me,  I wish people would not keep assuming that because you are older and live on your own you need permanently entertaining.   Most of us are just fine.      Except she has been unwell for the last week with shall we call it waterworks problems ,  on antibiotics now that she drove in her car to collect from the chemist.      As she said I have always been on my own so whats new.    Again the old adage comes to mind,  without your health you have nothing.   If only some people would be more careful and take it all seriously,  although I am beginning to feel the penny has dropped.   Nice weekend coming up,  we will see what happens when the brain dead decide to go out for the day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I did hear that Barcelona players have agreed to a pay cut down to 70% of "normal pay".

For some reason I cannot call it a wage !!!!!!!!

Jeff

Same with TV presenters and entertainers. They are said to "earn" an amount..

They may "get" that amount, but few if any actually earn it.

• Like 1

What I find fascinating about all these "super fit" ball kickers is they spend a bit of time each week learning how to kick a ball and how to get fit, then, on a Saturday, they are too kn4ckered to run around for 90 minutes so they have to go and have a sit down and let someone else run around for a bit.

For all this "effort" they get paid a fortune that ordinary people can only dream of.

Jeff 

• Like 6

In no way am I defending the sky high wages that footballers enjoy but we need some balance here.

This is hypothetical but there you go.  Imagine a footballer that earns say £50'000 a week or £200'00 a month.  Straight off they are paying 40% tax plus however much NI so that £200'00 is down to £120'000. (less NI)  Most earners spend or live to their means, big earners - expensive outgoings.  Plus a footballers career is how long on average at the top on top money  - ten years?  So their typical mortgage won't be over a 30 year period like the rest of us, you can bet their big expensive mansion is mortgaged over ten years or so to get it paid off before their earnings drop down

They may well be able to afford a pay cut like the majority of the working population right now but down to 80% for them might just be more of a problem for them than it is for us.  a 20% cut on not a lot isn't a lot, 20% down on £200'000 is £40'000 - makes you think

Griff

• Like 2

I get it,the high earners in footballing percentage wise is overall small.What I think should be done is for football to look if in this time there could be a balance. Some clubs like many not only football,but in business have not really handled this very well.Thats the point I'm trying to make.Many high profile companies were quick to throw people  under the bus.Most people  know I have been a lifelong  fan of Chelsea,and football in general. Football has a massive following, I think in this very difficult time football just needs to set an example. Some clubs in Europe are doing just that.I take your point Griff,I think it would go along way if clubs looked how they could help others less fortunate.I also accept clubs are doing alot for the NHS and many local organisations. 

Let's hope this horrible disease goes soon,and we can enjoy or not our football. 

Ian.

• Like 2

Theres no doubt  Football has played an important  part of local communities. Still.feel that in this very difficult time more can be done.

As I also said football is not the only ones.Some high profile  business, appear not to be playing there part and only seem keen on looking  after a few.

• Sad 1

why dont they follow the government guidlines and furlough the players - 80% of salary to a max of £2500 per month sounds fair, as they will probably still get more than the clubs cleaners. after all if they are not playing football they are not 'working'. any mortgage payments due will get the same benefits of a payment holiday as others, and its not like they havent been earning enough to have some savings.

• Like 1