A Question For Our Military Experts

Paul

Capt. Moore has been knighted, and well deserved too, however a few weeks ago he was made an honorary colonel but I note everyone is referring to him today as Capt. Sir Thomas Moore. Can he not use the title colonel because of the nature of the award?

The Colonel is an "Honorary" rank confered on him. His true rank is still Capt.

In a similar fashion actors and writers and artists are often gifted honorary degrees/ doctorates but in this country at least they are not refered to as Doctor. Different in the US.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

A good example is Prince William, whose military rank is Major, in the Household Cavalry (Blues and Royals) but who also has the honorary rank of Colonel in Chief of the Irish Guards.

I don't know if I am right in saying this but I have always felt that Royals who serve in the British forces are always wrapped in cotton wool so to speak. I feel for the ones who don't and have life changing injuries. That's why I like Harry, because he realises this and for what he has done for ex army serviceman to be recognised is commendable.

Prince Philip had a distinguished naval career and was involved in the fighting during WW2. I can tell you his former ship mates thought the world of him when I attended the dedication of HMS Cavalier the National Destroyer Monument with Uncle Albert.

• Like 3

As Timbo has already pointed out.

HRH Prince Philip served during the fighting of WW2.

Prince Andrew served in the Falklands. (Our government wanted him to be excused but he stood his ground, stating thiat he was a serving officer and would continue to do his duty serving Queen and country)

He remained in the Falklands after the Queen stated her support for his decision.

Prince Harry, as an officer in the Blues and Royals, served on the front line in Helmand province Afghanistan.

The late King George VI visited troops serving overseas on a number of occasions during WW2, often at considerable personal risk,

Honestly I can see no evidence whatsoever of any of the Royals serving in the armed forces having an easy ride.

As for Captain Tom Moore,

God bless you  Captain Sir Thomas Moore, an officer and a Gentleman. An honour well deserved.

• Like 4

Prince Charles served in the Royal Navy, no doubt he was kept well away from danger, as was Prince William, probably not ideal to have the heir to the throne on the front line.

Harry was the number one target whilst serving in battle, that says much about his comrades who served with him.

Prince Edward did a few weeks in the Royal Marines before he left because he didn't like being shouted at.
In most aristocratic families he would have become a vicar as the third son. :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Prince Andrew served in the Falklands. (Our government wanted him to be excused but he stood his ground, stating thiat he was a serving officer and would continue to do his duty serving Queen and country)

He remained in the Falklands after the Queen stated her support for his decision.

Perhaps she knew what the future held and was hoping he'd cop and exocet up the exhaust

Andrew got told off for saying his helicopter was hovering in the path of Excocets to decoy them. He was; but they didn’t want the Argentinians to know that. 
if that isn’t being in harm’s way, I don’t know what is.

Harry was pulled out, against his will, when the press leaked his deployment, contrary to an earlier agreement. This was to protect him and his company. He was not a happy boy.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Timbo said:

Prince Philip had a distinguished naval career and was involved in the fighting during WW2. I can tell you his former ship mates thought the world of him when I attended the dedication of HMS Cavalier the National Destroyer Monument with Uncle Albert.

Unfortunately my dad had the opposite thinking to you, unless there is a joke going on here linked to Only Fools and Horses?

I can always remember when I was living at home and my dad was still around, he always had a severe rant at the tv when Philip appeared wearing his RSJ supported medals. I think it was because his dad died during his service war years and picked up a couple of medals and Philip who has many, I doubt has heard a bullet pass by his head.

Over the years I have heard this brought up in conversation concerning the royals and Philip, and it seems for many to be and on going joke.

41 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

Philip who has many, I doubt has heard a bullet pass by his head.

I wonder where he got the Mention in Dispatches from then?  Or the Greek War Medal, in recognition of his bravery during the Italian invasion of Greece in 1941?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I wonder where he got the Mention in Dispatches from then?  Or the Greek War Medal, in recognition of his bravery during the Italian invasion of Greece in 1941?

When I said about Royals serving in the armed forces and wrapped in cotton wool, your reply was "If only you knew"

You mention a couple of medals concerning Philip, but what about the rest?

Have you taken a u turn on your opinion with the royals?

1 minute ago, Upcycler said:

You mention a couple of medals concerning Philip, but what about the rest?

Six campaign Stars, which represent every Naval theatre of the second World War, except one.

3 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

Have you taken a u turn on your opinion with the royals?

My opinion is as it always was. My remark was a sign that I did not wish to rise to your bait. I still don't now.

• Like 1

War medals are earned, they didn't dish them out for nothing, even to future Consorts.

The fact he became engaged to our future Queen in1947 doesn't alter the fact that he joined the Royal Navy in 1939 at age 18 and served in numerous theatres of war.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

My opinion is as it always was. My remark was a sign that I did not wish to rise to your bait. I still don't now.

I am not trying to bait you, I just remember as I said how my dad use to get irate when he saw Philip on tv and through the years when Philip has come up in conversation, it seems to be a joke for many. Plus lets not forget, he has let go quite a few gaffes in the past and can be considered as a Royal comedian!

9 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

War medals are earned, they didn't dish them out for nothing, even to future Consorts.

The fact he became engaged to our future Queen in1947 doesn't alter the fact that he joined the Royal Navy in 1939 at age 18 and served in numerous theatres of war.

It looks good for a Royal to wear medals, you can receive one for living on the back bench so to speak.

I'm not a keen Royal lover, but for me William and Harry are down with us kids so to speak, compared with Philip and Charles.

1 minute ago, Upcycler said:

It looks good for a Royal to wear medals, you can receive one for living on the back bench so to speak.

It looks even better when they have earned the right to wear them.

2 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

I'm not a keen Royal lover,

Really :default_biggrin:

1 minute ago, psychicsurveyor said:

It looks even better when they have earned the right to wear them.

Really :default_biggrin:

I have this funny feeling that not only do you fly a British flag outside your home, have your morning brew in a mug with the Queens face on it, but worryingly you have the Royal family as a screen saver!

Am I right?

3 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

I have this funny feeling that not only do you fly a British flag outside your home, have your morning brew in a mug with the Queens face on it, but worryingly you have the Royal family as a screen saver!

Am I right?

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

I do however have a huge respect for our Armed Forces who serve, and have served, Queen and country regardless of rank.

• Like 2

I have four relatives on the menin gate, my father served in Burma and after that in the armoured fighting vehicles inspectorate during the Korean War. 

None of my relatives retained a single medal from any of the campaigns they fought in they all declined, every one of them. They just wanted to come home. 

They never forgot anything they just let it go... 

M

• Like 2

Just now, psychicsurveyor said:

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

I do however have a huge respect for our Armed Forces who serve, and have served, Queen and country regardless of rank.

I have a huge respect for our armed forces who are on the frontline who have to confront mental and physical torture, the ones behind the safety line I do not.