Suggested 7 Day (kid Friendly) Itinerary For Southern Broads?

Hi all

Not visited the Broads before so a complete novice here! Am taking the family for a 7 night boating holiday on the Southern Broads and would love some advice from those with more knowledge and experience. So... any suggestions of particular places to stop off and visit (kids are 7yrs and 4yrs old), good pubs and recommended overnight moorings (preferably free)?  I'm trying to scope out an itinerary starting from Waveney River Centre but a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to start! Any advice much appreciated! TIA x

You don't have to limit your visit to the southern Broads with a weeks break. There is plenty of time to do the north and the south in that time.

There is plenty for the kids to do in Great Yarmouth for example.

aside from that, it will depend a lot on when you are going and what pubs have managed to open and have social distancing measures in place, a lot of regulars are still trying to find whats going to be open from the 4th.

crossing breydon is just like any other bit of river, but wider, timing is the key, and your best bet is to phone the great yarmouth yacht station and they will let you know the best times for the easiest passage, just remember to stay between the red and green posts and go round the yellow one before turning,

• Like 1

if you read a few of the threads there are quite a few people asking similar questions, some pubs are doing takeaways, there are nice mooring that are quite remote, and others (oulton and beccles) that are close to town and shops, we would always recommend children wear their lifejackets when not in the cabin, and when getting on and off at moorings, just in case of a slip or trip, adults too if it comes to that, if someone falls in dont jump in after them, because then there are two needing rescue, a mooring rope looped in the water makes a helpful rung to get someone out, and the most important thing is not to reverse up to them and shut the prop down if they come back aboard by the stern. make sure everyone aboard knows what to do in such a situation, the person seeing them fall over should do nothing but keep them in sight and point to them. this is the drill that is given to us when we go on our lads week,  though we have only ever had dogs take a swim or jump over the wrong side when we have moored somewhere different, the drill works.

I think it depends how long your children will be happy to sit on the boat before they want to get off and burn off some energy. If you are staying on the Southern Broads  You may want to include:

Norwich, lots to entertain such as shops, cinema, cathedral, castle. Mooring in the yacht station is charged.

Loddon, pretty little village, selection of pubs and take aways free mooring.

Beccles, nice little town, shops, pubs, play areas. Mooring at the yacht station is payable.

Oulton Broad, play area and entertainment. Train to Lowestoft for a day at the beach. 
Sommerlayton. Walk up to the hall and let the children get lost in the maze.

Rockland Broad, moorings outside the New Inn

Brammerton, moorings by the Woods End pub

With our kids, we always insist on life jackets when out on deck and we always wear our life jackets to set the example.

Enjoy your holiday.

8 minutes ago, Davydine said:

Brammerton, moorings by the Woods End pub

If only, the Woods End pub closed years ago! It’s now the Waters Edge at Bramerton and I have heard they don’t like hire boats moored outside. How true that is I have no idea.

Probably best to try and check on any venue to be visited bearing in mind some won’t be open or limited in access. 

Hi Sue If you are only coming for 7 days unless you want to be travelling for most of the day i would stick to the side that you are hiring from.   with the 4 year old you might like to get/ bring some reins with a length of rope so you wont have to keep the doors hatch closed or looking/keeping a eye on her/him but still allow them a bit of freedom with out them getting wet especially if a hot sunny day along with sun hats with a chin strap to stop falling/blowing off into the water, just take your time dont rush and you will have a wonder full relaxing time. John

• Like 1

If you want a really good introduction to family friendly cruising you might be interested in this series of YouTube vlogs. Intro here:

A bit (understatement) mad (as I’m sure ‘The Admiral’ would agree) but I thought it was really interesting to see how the kids of the family that accompanied him on this ‘adventure’ enjoyed their holiday. I suspect they thought that the visit to Pettitt’s Adventure Park in Reedham was the highlight. Not sure when  Pettitts are opening up again though.

• Like 3

In the event that you do venture north towards horning and wroxham, defo put bewilderwood (horning) and wroxham barns (wroxham based- animals and little fun/rides park) on your list. Our kids LOVE bewilderwood for a full day- picnic in a bag, and you can spend hours upon hours there- looks like it's planning on opening mid July from the website xxx

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vanessan said:

If only, the Woods End pub closed years ago! It’s now the Waters Edge at Bramerton and I have heard they don’t like hire boats moored outside. How true that is I have no idea.

Probably best to try and check on any venue to be visited bearing in mind some won’t be open or limited in access. 

Ah, yes, my mistake! Been a long time since I hired on the southern broads. Good to know.

There are quite a lot of things for Children to do on the Southern Rivers if you know where to find them.

Upstream from Waveney River Center you'll find Beccles which has good safe moorings at the yacht Station alongside which there is a large playing field with a good play park suitable for all ages. It's a short walk into the town where you'll find a good range of shops including butcher, baker etc. There is a fee to moor at the Yacht Sta.

Just downstream you'll find the entrance to Oulton Dyke which takes you to Oulton Broad, again it's a Yacht Station with a mooring fee but it's right next to the Park which has a boating lake, play park, museum, tennis courts as well as lots of room to play football, run around etc. You can also catch a train for the five minute ride into Lowestoft to visit the beach. Try and use the train from Oulton Broad south which takes you over the swing bridge across Lake Lothing. Along with the beach and amusements etc there is a great dancing fountain which my kids (9 and 2) love playing in. Take beach ware and towels as they will get wet. If you do want to visit the seaside I would go to Lowestoft rather than take the boat to Great Yarmouth. 

Beyond Oulton Dyke you have the stately home of Somerleyton Hall, perhaps not quite so suitable for young children but the Hall and Gardens have reopened on Sundays and Thursdays only though some areas of the garden remain closed, including the play area. I'm not sure about the maze. There are free moorings at Somerleyton. 

Continue down river to St Olaves and keep left on to the New Cut which will take you to Reedham on the River Yare. There are free moorings here though the tide can run quite quickly so moorings can be more of a challenge but there is a quay attendant to help you. From the moorings it's about 15 minutes walk to Pettitt's Animal Adventure park: 

https://www.pettittsadventurepark.co.uk

Next to Pettitt's is the Humpty Dumpty Brewery which is open most afternoons, always worth a visit to make sure Dads are not forgotten!

https://www.humptydumptybrewery.com

Continue up the River Yare past the chain ferry and turn left into the River Chet which takes you to Loddon. There are two good play parks here, plus a skate park if you eldest is into such things. The first play park is a more adventure based one on the Pits, and old recreation ground at the top of Pits Lane. Moor at Pacific Cruisers if they have space, say hello to Richard and Fiona, broadland's friendliest boat yard owners and then walk along Pitt's Lane until you come to the end, the play park is on the corner and along with play equipment and plenty of room for ball games and frisbee etc there are also picnic tables so if the weather is good take a sandwich or too. 

If you're getting towards needing your toilets pumped out here would be a good place. Rockland Broad, which is shallow and crossed between marker posts into another little dyke which takes you to the free moorings at Rockland Staithe. There is a nice pub here but is remains to be seen what they will be able to offer, and a post office and village store ten minutes walk away in the village. There are also some nice walks along the marshes.

Returning to the River Yare and continuing upriver you come to Brundall. There is not much here noawadays for the visiting boater, the riverside shop has gone and it is mostly private marinas and boatyards but as you enter the village there is a nice pub, Coldham Hall on your left, after which on the same side is a dyke leading into Bargate, a very pretty secluded little broad. A second dyke leads out the other side and back to the main river. Continue upstream and you will come to one of the rivers real gems, The Ferry House at Surlingham. Free moorings, lovely food but you might have to book ahead for both. 

https://surlinghamferry.co.uk

Continuing upstream you'll come to The Waterside restaurant as previously mentioned. Wave as you cruise by and then after you pass under the bypass bridge you have Whitlingham Country park on your left. There are a few free moorings though they do tend to be quite busy.

https://www.whitlinghamcharitabletrust.com

From here the river leads into Norwich with it's famous cathedral, the Castle which is a museum and art gallery and better than average city center shopping with a decent market. 

• Like 3

My goodness everyone thank you SO SO MUCH for all your help and advice! I'd never have gleaned this info from trawling through google. I really am immensely grateful! 

Quick question about pumping out toilets... how often does this need to be done and where do I find a list of places in Southern Broads where you can do it?

Best

S

that really depends on how many of you there are and how often you use them, but we might have to do a pumpout on the lads week with 6 on board and 2 toilets, sometimes we can get away with it for a week, but, generally otherwise  probably once midweek

Bearing in mind you are starting from WRC, the chances are you will be passing them at some point during your week. That’s if you are going to Beccles as well as heading for the Yare. Pop in on your way by for a pump out. 

It’s quite a nice and interesting spot, with lovely views toward Breydon water, but we’ve never moored up there. The tides are quite strong the closer you get to Yarmouth. We visited it by car last February when storm Ciara kept us from cruising.

41 minutes ago, chameleon said:

dont forget pleasurewood hills theme park just up the road from oulton broad, reopens 4th july, also east anglia transport museum , short bus ride away, both well worth visiting

I think you're going to need an extra week!