Place To Buy Kit For Boating Holiday_

Just a word of caution on footwear. 99% of the time I wear Docs of one type or another. Shoes, boots etc and I always wear Doc trainers on board boat. Got down to the boat one week and only had the shoes I was driving with. So rather than look a twit in suedes on board I thought I'd treat myself to a proper pair of yachting shoes. Henri Lloyd Deckgrip and a bit cheaper than a pair of Doc trainers. Still available for sale  I've found them to be utter cr*p! Not a patch on the Doc sole for grip on or off the boat. So lesson be, not all that is designed for marine wear is necessarily better than normal clothing.

Fred

p.s. johnash. Is that Smith's Sable?

6 hours ago, trambo said:

p.s. johnash. Is that Smith's Sable?

Yes, well spotted! I first went on the Broads with my Dad in 1961. We hired Geo Smith's Sable (2?) for two wonderful weeks. My love affair with the Broads started then, though it's been very much an off/on affair since!

Toilet pumped out into the rivers. An ice block to keep food fresh (changeable at any Blakes 'A' boatyard). Always able to get under Potter Heigham bridge. Aah, the good old days!

• Like 2

Re footwear, bare feet or cheap half wellies. The PVC rather than rubber boots are remarkably non slip, comfortable and easy to dry out if I flood them, as are bare feet.

Re Crocs type shoes, dreadful things, especially on wet algae, as slippery as hell! 

15 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re footwear, bare feet or cheap half wellies. The PVC rather than rubber boots are remarkably non slip, comfortable and easy to dry out if I flood them, as are bare feet.

Re Crocs type shoes, dreadful things, especially on wet algae, as slippery as hell! 

Thanks Jenny. We both had decent "yachting" short wellies which were excellent (with those honeycomb bottoms that were very grippy but left nasty footprints all over the deck!). One pair has gone missing on the way here to Spain and the other pair have been lying in a super-heated garage for 16 years and have gone very stiff. So we are on the look-out for replacements. Difficult to find online but found these on Amazon. What do you think? (They're a bit more than I'd hoped to pay but if they work, then that's fine.) And I've never been able to wear crocs anyway!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0015ZMJ80/?coliid=I35Z4C0JU7S5WY&colid=JN7DRLTETW65&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Now't wrong with Gill stuff, I had a pair, but the rubber does dry out after a year or two thus mine crazed over the ankle & along the shank and became porous. My wife has a pair from Joules and the same thing has happened to hers so now I stick to cheapo pvc wellies, all of which have done the job well. By the way, Jenny Morgan is the name of my boat, not me! Mind you, I answer to just about anything, especially when the answer ends in 'mine's a pint'!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Now't wrong with Gill stuff, I had a pair, but the rubber does dry out after a year or two thus mine crazed over the ankle & along the shank and became porous. My wife has a pair from Joules and the same thing has happened to hers so now I stick to cheapo pvc wellies, all of which have done the job well. By the way, Jenny Morgan is the name of my boat, not me! Mind you, I answer to just about anything, especially when the answer ends in 'mine's a pint'!

Whoops! So sorry MISTER JennyMorgan owner. I should never make assumptions! And thanks for the welly tips. 

• Like 1

Personally I don't think you will ever wear the wellies at all!!! If you have to wear them in the boat, then forget comfort and try and find where its coming in!! I used to use a pair when sailing so if you got caught out in a shower you could stick your wet weather trousers over the top but your not doing that! All you will need is the windscreen wiper switch!

Its May so unlikely to be that cold and most moorings are dryish even if its wet weather!! Try an old pair of trainers or even sandals that will dry!!! Or if you must wear wellies try a £10 gardening  pair from everywhere!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, marshman said:

All you will need is the windscreen wiper switch!

I very much agree with Marshman on this.

Boating on the Broads is not the same thing as the Fastnet Race!

All my life I have never owned a pair of leather soled shoes as I never know when I might suddenly have to step on a boat. On the other hand, most shoes coming from the usual retail outlets, with "injection moulded" soles, will give you a good grip on any deck. And they won't hurt the deck!

In addition, they won't pick up all the gravel, mud and goose poop off the bank and spread it all over the inside of the boat!

• Like 1

In nearly 40 years of boating I have never had a pair of wellies! I do have a pair of rubber gardening shoes for mooring up etc when it’s particularly wet and muddy and I have a pair of M&S footglove slip on shoes for deck wear. The soles are brilliant and they only cost £20 in a sale. Add to those a pair of walking boots for walking the dogs and a pair of trainer type shoes for pubs or whatever and that’s me sorted. I don’t think you need to pay top dollar for practicality. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Which takes us onto the question of carpets! Yes or no?

Depends if you want comfort. (I think this is probably an age thing as I like to walk around on carpet in the cooler months.) We have washable mats which can lay over carpet or hard flooring. They just get taken home, put in the washing machine then brought back for the next trip. Having the dogs, they are great when it’s wet and pick up any muck walked in. 

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Did you find that the arrows on it eventually fade?

You're showing your age John - or perhaps the age of your kit?

Nowadays people would not appreciate the old WD (War Department) arrows, unless they had been obliged to use IZAL toilet paper with the arrow printed on each individual sheet!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vaughan said:

You're showing your age John - or perhaps the age of your kit?

Nowadays people would not appreciate the old WD (War Department) arrows, unless they had been obliged to use IZAL toilet paper with the arrow printed on each individual sheet!

That stopped being issued in 1983...

The stuff they've issued since, is not Andrex Supersoft by any stretch of the imagination , but it is vastly better than grease proof paper.

• Haha 1