Chaos At Reedham?

JennyMorgan

Its not one way is it?   54' width enough for a boat each way and a couple of cyclists as well! 

They come round the bend and see people fighting for a place on the bank and think they would like to join them - shame there was not a privateer with enough gumption to just go on through, and like sheep they would then just follow and avoided the need for a silly picture!

• Like 1

The fact was we got under the bridge  being smaller. About seven very large gin Palaces all went through  when the bridge opened. Going the other way heading up towards the cut,about six of seven mainly hire boats had to wait for Brundall  navy  to clear the bridge. Must admit  was busy for about 10 minutes. Still.it made the EDP happy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Its not one way is it?   54' width enough for a boat each way and a couple of cyclists as well! 

They come round the bend and see people fighting for a place on the bank and think they would like to join them - shame there was not a privateer with enough gumption to just go on through, and like sheep they would then just follow and avoided the need for a silly picture!

It was not a silly picture. One day there will be an incident at Reedham. I used to live at Reedham, I often visit Reedham. I have spoken to many of the residents of Reedham. I have over the years spoken to many of the quay attendant. All are of the same mind. The water can be very cold, bitterly cold. If you fall in wearing waterproof, warm layers of clothing and no life jacket you have little chance. Your first wave, of your three, is I am here. The second please help. The third......goodbye. We will wave back.

Old Wussername

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We passed about seven or eight 50plus footers traveling from Braydon towards Reedham and they were all centre channel (understandably) and all cruising at a sensible pace , yes there was a large wash but that is inevitable , had I encountered them coming through Reedham Bridge I would have thought twice due to the effect of the wash pushing you sideways 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We passed about seven or eight 50plus footers traveling from Braydon towards Reedham

so were you speeding to pass so many :default_norty:

I saw Them heading back to Brundall as we going the other way towards Reedham earlier today,

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, marshman said:

I am sure all those boats wanting to could easily have got through and did not need to wait for the Navy to clear through!

So why did the hire boats consider it appropriate to hold and allow them to go through. What was the state of the tide? The positioning of some of the boats would suggest the tide was downstream. Was it windy, did that influence their decision. In conclusion MM. Were you there?

I was there read my post.The Brundall  navy once the bridge opened,all went through  together, at times close together. The hire boats I think,just wanted them to clear and yes they went in the middle Private boats. Dont forget Reedham  not the easiest  of places for some inexperienced boaters.It was a matter of bad luck 6 or 7 large boats and the other side about  the same amount  of mainly hire boats.

• Thanks 1

Just to let you know they were with RYA on tour,think they wanted to get to the  pub.Done all the G&T on board.:default_drinks:
RYA or NYA?

We are heading through Reedham later

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

This sort of sensational reporting does nothing for the Broads tourism industry, readers will form an opinion that all the broads are choke full of boats and think that's not for us.

I visit Reedham on average once every ten days summer and winter and forty years have never seen anything like that photograph if you visited half an hour before or half an hour after all would have been calm

Yes the tide does run fast through Reedham but with care and attention it is not a problem just think and act safely

Ray

i

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

This sort of sensational reporting does nothing for the Broads tourism industry, readers will form an opinion that all the broads are choke full of boats and think that's not for us.

Hear hear!

This is no time at all to be going back to the days of "No lullaby for Broadland"!

Cheap sensational press reporting was one of the main contributory factors to at least two big recessions on the Broads.

Don't let's start all that again!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Hear hear!

This is no time at all to be going back to the days of "No lullaby for Broadland"!

Cheap sensational press reporting was one of the main contributory factors to at least two big recessions on the Broads.

Don't let's start all that again!

The above is perfectly true and nowadays we have the added, albeit sometimes very funny, addition of YouTube. The problem with YouTube is that it doesn't go away, indeed the often regrettable, damaging stuff is cumulative. Unfortunately much of this detritus stems from stag/hen parties and 'lads/ladetts afloat' videos, a damaging factor that the big yards tend to ignore. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Unfortunately much of this detritus stems from stag/hen parties and 'lads/ladetts afloat' videos, a damaging factor that the big yards tend to ignore.

This has perhaps expanded the subject a bit,  but the big yards can't ignore them! You can't choose your customers in this business, especially not right now.

• Sad 1

Just now, Vaughan said:

You can't choose your customers in this business,

We certainly did back in the 1970's. Jimmy Hoseason was remarkably adept at buttonholing potential customers to suit the various yard's specifications. Alec Hampton's preferred customer specifications were the most stringent of all the Oulton Broad yards and he probably had the longest season of any of us. Whilst I can see the need for just about any customer right now I have always regarded Alec's approach as being the right one in the long term.  Competing with Faliraki or Benidorm, perhaps not! 

• Like 1