Pubs With Outdoor Eating Areas

webntweb

We had to sell our share in Lightning in 2018 for health reasons, after 60 years of coming to the Broads - the last twelve being as shareholders in Moonlight Shadow then Lightning.

We were looking at renting a riverside cottage with dayboat this year but the virus put paid to that.

I had a conversation with my GP about the virus at the end of February and he thought that some type of lockdown was on the cards for vulnerable people, so from the 4th of March until a couple of weeks ago we had not been out of the house/garden, with the only contact with family by FaceTime/skype or very occasionally they came and sat on our front garden wall while we stayed three metres away in the porch.

Shopping has been online except when our daughter has collected our prescriptions and also brought us milk on a couple of occasions - we don't want her to do more as she is working from home, has two young children and has also been looking after our eldest son who had a triple bypass three weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, after four and a half months we'd had enough so did go out for a ride from south Manchester up onto the North Yorkshire moors. Unfortunately the road we use over the moors is closed at the moment and the alternative route in not as attractive being more through a valley and for a lot of the way through a conifer forest. Anyway we did find somewhere nice and quiet to eat our packed lunch and did feel better for the day out. Going to do the same tomorrow on a slightly different route.

By now you are probably beginning to wonder what all this has to do with Pubs.

We have decided to take the risk and have booked a large caravan (41ft x 13) for a week on the 15th August at Cherry Tree near Burgh Castle with my son, his wife and four grandchildren. We have booked a 2020 model which will only have had four weeks use before us and we will be having the end bedroom which is ensuite so distancing from the rest of the family. The caravan has an end balcony so if the weather is good we will eat and drink outside.

We are hoping members can come up with some pubs (not necessarily riverside) which have good size outside eating areas. We have already thought of the Bell at St Olaves; The Reedcutter at Cantley and Coldham Hall - although I can't remember if the last one has many outside tables.

We couldn't come all the way to Norfolk without getting out on the water at least once so have managed to book Bittern for a full day, which means we can revisit by water some places we haven't been to for quite a few years (Moonlight Shadow and Lightning not being able to pass under that bridge). I think our day finishes at five o'clock so just in time for the Pleasure Boat reopening for food at six after their daily afternoon clean down.

• Like 1

The Coldham Hall Tavern has a few outside tables and good covid 19 practices. They don't take cash, will take your order wearing visors and deliver your food and drink to service tables for you to collect once they have left.

The Fishermans Inn at Burgh has a few tables directly outside and more around the side.

The Wetherspoons in Beccles has a large outside area and the benefit of being able to order food and drink via their app to minimise contact.

The Locks Inn has plenty of outside seating.

I seem to remember the White Horse at Chedgrave has quite a nice garden.

If your up near The Pleasure Boat, it is also worth visiting The Nelson. There is a large beer garden opposite the pub with plenty of tables.

The Waters Edge Bramerton has plenty of outside seating.

The White Horse at Neatishead has I believe turned their car park into a beer garden.

• Thanks 1

Surlingham Ferry has a big garden plus you order from a window and they bring your order to your table

Good Covid measures, we went on Saturday 11th July only a week after re-opening they were very busy, but were very efficient

The Waveney Hotel Beccles was good, we didn't eat there as the dog was only allowed in the garden and the weather was changeable but had drinks, which were a tad pricey!

• Thanks 1

To be honest, the only pub I can think of om The Broads which doesn't have an outside eating area is the The White Horse at Neatishead!

To answer a question further up this thread The White Horse at Chedgrave has an excellent garden, however the one way system means you have a fair walk to go to toilets or bar again, but very welcoming!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tim said:

To be honest, the only pub I can think of om The Broads which doesn't have an outside eating area is the The White Horse at Neatishead!

As ECIPA mentioned above, the White Horse has converted their car park into the eating area. However, I don’t know where you park your car although I suppose it could be at the village hall. 

• Thanks 2

It might be worth deciding where you are going to head for and booking a table. The Waters Edge has a board out stating booked tables only, as did the Locks Inn at Geldeston last week. I am sure it is going to be busy for the next couple of months so booking may well be necessary. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It might be worth deciding where you are going to head for and booking a table. The Waters Edge has a board out stating booked tables only, as did the Locks Inn at Geldeston last week. I am sure it is going to be busy for the next couple of months so booking may well be necessary. 

That's going to be our plan in 10 days time. Bit easier when you are mobile with a car, but with a boat you tend to take a chance on booking and then getting a mooring. Our backup plan will be the BBQ and cancelling in plenty of time if we cannot get a mooring near where we have booked.

• Like 1

Please please if you are using the disposable BBQs ensure you have a stand for them and never place them on the ground or even worse, on the wooden quay heading.

Several quite serious fires have occurred over the years of these BBQ's burning down into the peat on the banks and reignitiing, often many feet away into the marsh later. It can travel horizontally below the surface and then reemerge causing lots of damage.

I realise most of you are responsible individuals but without a stand they can cause untold damage to the habitat and wildlife as well as being unsightly so please check later to ensure they are completely out and pour lots of water on the charred earth if that is what has happened!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, vanessan said:

As ECIPA mentioned above, the White Horse has converted their car park into the eating area. However, I don’t know where you park your car although I suppose it could be at the village hall. 

Oops missed that, didn’t go up the Ant this year as had high sided boat and didn’t fancy the possible carnage at Ludham bridge!

just to add Kings Head (Arms?) Ludham has a lovely garden at the back

Decent beer / food again very welcoming 

• Like 1

Quite right and also be mindful where your smoke is going

Cant remember where it was a boat next to us started a bbq while we were out and their smoke drifted straight into our boat!

To be fair they did move it when we got back from the pub

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Please please if you are using the disposable BBQs ensure you have a stand for them and never place them on the ground or even worse, on the wooden quay heading.

Several quite serious fires have occurred over the years of these BBQ's burning down into the peat on the banks and reignitiing, often many feet away into the marsh later. It can travel horizontally below the surface and then reemerge causing lots of damage.

I realise most of you are responsible individuals but without a stand they can cause untold damage to the habitat and wildlife as well as being unsightly so please check later to ensure they are completely out and pour lots of water on the charred earth if that is what has happened!!!!

Quite right. I have a small BBQ on it's own stand. Because it is a faff to clean we normally place it on an aluminum camping table to make it a more suitable height, and then use disposable ones on top of it to save the cleaning. 

13 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

That's a bloody good idea, I'll do that in future. I might keep one on top of Nyx too, to save cleaning it.

I have one of these, the charcoal, not gas version. The clips fold down to form legs and the top lifts off and you fill it with charcoal, except it is just the right height of the table to form a BBQ stand and use a disposable one on top. Good height, no melted table, no cleaning, what's not to like? :default_rofl:

s-l500.jpg.83343205b0b6dc82f275fe48b939999e.jpg

10 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

One of our best ever purchases for the boat was our Weber Go Anywhere barbecue ( about £90) along with a starter chimney , yes it’s a pain to clean but it works brilliantly and stored away easily .

Just realised we're talking about the same BBQ :default_beerchug: