Where’s Everyone Gone?

YnysMon

Sorry to here that. Hope you can report a better experience and have a great vacation. 
Fred
I have no worries at all about the boat, credit where it's due their boats are fantastic!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

The coming week promises to be a memorable one for me.  Just before ‘lockdown’ at the beginning of the Coronavirus crisis, I was put at risk of redundancy by my employer.  Aside from the time taken off when I had the virus, I worked through it as a key worker, working longer hours than usual, only to be rewarded when I returned to work after our recent two week holiday, by being put at risk of redundancy again.  The wife and I discussed the consequences and as the result, I successfully applied for voluntary redundancy and finish next Friday (21st).

Hope you enjoy your early retirement Malcolm. More time to spend on Norfolk Lady!

Thanks for the update and posting the photos.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Hope you enjoy your early retirement Malcolm. More time to spend on Norfolk Lady!

Thanks Helen.  But as the wife keeps reminding me, she is younger than me, so unable to retire just yet.  The upside is that she can work from home four days a week, which will help with our plans.

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

That must be bittersweet Malcolm. I hope it turns out to be a good decision. This year has made many of us re-evaluate our lives. 

To be honest, Jean, having been in the transport/logistics industry for forty two years, being told the best way to do my job by a manager whose involvement in the industry spans just nine years, has never held an HGV licence and has never held an O Licence, is quite hard to take.  The redundancy package offered is the minimum under current employment legislation, but more than I would get if lost my job for telling her to get stuffed (but in more basic Anglo Saxon language), which made my decision even easier.  
I am slightly nervous about the future, but certain that the decision I’ve made is the right one.  We always intended to move to Norfolk when I retired, so this will bring that forward, all being well.  Just need to sell our house and find somewhere else to live.

4 hours ago, vanessan said:

Does that mean you will be spending more time on Norfolk Lady or have you other plans?

I hope so!!

• Like 4

Guest Jayfire

Sorry to hear this Malcolm buddy

I was hoping it would all work out differently for you when you told me about the troubles you'd been going through, but as I've promised you many times...and whilst I realise it helps nothing...I have a nice cold beer waiting with your name on it when you and your good lady run into me

All the best to you pal in whatever road you choose to go down from here on in

:default_beerchug:

10 hours ago, andyg said:

Is that one of freedoms boat moored in the basin, that's good to see I thought Andy had given up. 

I think he’s seeing this season out and honouring the bookings he has, although I’m sure he will confirm.  On of his boats is under brokerage at NYA:

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/alpha-32-6/

9 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If she can work from home she can work from a boat under a good signal or wifi........

Just saying! :default_biggrin:

Already considered that, but the type of work she does requires a fast connection and big monitors.  Good thought though.

On 16/08/2020 at 18:54, Mouldy said:

To be honest, Jean, having been in the transport/logistics industry for forty two years, being told the best way to do my job by a manager whose involvement in the industry spans just nine years, has never held an HGV licence and has never held an O Licence, is quite hard to take.

Sorry only just caught up with this thread

I'm in aggregates/haulage/logistics

Don't totally write off your working life, unless of course you want to, but I know several guys in my field that retired but went back to part time employment with smaller companies that valued the experience and knowledge the more mature worker gives

You appear to have had one of those 'rising stars read it in a book' types that seem popular with bigger companies these days, she wont last, they never do!

You'd be surprised how many smaller companies want and can afford someone for 2/3days a week!

Good luck!

• Thanks 1