Where’s Everyone Gone?

YnysMon

So after a flurry of excitement on the forum over the last few weeks it seems to have fizzled out a bit toward the end of this week. Grendel’s posts excepted. Plus a few recent posts saying how quiet it is. I’m hoping that’s just down to normal turn around days!

I guess I’m just addicted to reading holiday vlogs. More please!

• Like 2

Well I am on my third voyage tomorrow with Mrs IEatFish and the two Fish Fingers,  heading to the Waveney Centre and then poking about the area for a few days. I am sure something will happen that will be worth reporting. 

I have not been to the Geldeston Lock for many a year (by road only).  Is this section of river deep enough - I have a 3ft draft - to moor up at the pub?

Thanks  

2 hours ago, IEatFish said:

I have not been to the Geldeston Lock for many a year (by road only).  Is this section of river deep enough - I have a 3ft draft - to moor up at the pub?

Thanks  

I think so. We have been up to Geldeston a few times when we hired Fair Regent, and been up to the Locks and the Dyke, so I would think that it has a reasonable depth there. When you get to the top of the Geldeston arm you have the choice of either turning left towards Geldeston Locks, where The Locks pub is, and there’s a proper key heading there, or to the Dyke, where it’s a bit wilder, as described in Grendel’s and my recent acconts (see Holiday Tales threads).
I haven’t heard of anyone complaining about lack of depth either direction, except when you get to the end of near the Dyke beyond the turn off to the boatyard.

its about neck deep in the middle at the dyke, so at least 5 foot, easily 3 foot at low tide by the bank for mooring, the locks is probably deeper, stick nearer the middle of the river when headed there, you can see weed near the edges, the water up there is clear enough to see the bottom.

8 hours ago, Lulu said:

We have a week off in September and we intend introducing our new four footed crew member to the boat. Im a bit nervous in case he hates it...

I find that dogs always love boats. It will take him a little while to find all the special corners where he prefers to lie or sit. 

After that it will be his boat, not yours!

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. I should be fine. 

I think the most shallow part of the Broads I have found (on the southern broadS anyhow) to date is Surlingham Broad on the west exit/entrance and I survived and the engine intake strainer wasn’t choked up. 

Not been on the Waveney yet so looking forward to exploring this. Got all the pubs nicely highlighted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I find that dogs always love boats. It will take him a little while to find all the special corners where he prefers to lie or sit. 

After that it will be his boat, not yours!

Our previous hounds weren't keen when the engine was running.  Selsie is going next weekend to put in better soundproofing in the engine bay. We’ve been thinking about it for a while for ourselves anyway. He’s only 4. We introduced our previous dogs when they were 10 and too set in their ways.  Im sure he will love the walks though.  

• Like 1

We’re here!!  Sadly, the weather has taken a turn for the worse, with patchy rain and grey, leaden skies yesterday and a misty start to the morning today.  However, it’s the Broads and we’re enjoying the peace at Pyes Mill.

it was noticeable that there were fewer boats on the rivers as we made our way here, arriving at the moorings just before 13:00.  There were only about four craft moored when we arrived, and it gradually filled up over the course of the afternoon.

We witnessed two or three crews being taken for the trial runs from Pacific Cruisers, who are clearly taking care to ensure that they are giving as thorough instructions to their hirers as possible within the time allowed.

I was concerned as one of Sandersons craft weaved it’s way along the Chet towards the moorings.  Crewed by two girls, who clearly had no idea what they  were doing, they found  themselves bow first and at right angles to the moorings, after bouncing off the reeds on the opposite side first.   

To be honest, there’s not much more to report.  Sitting here enjoying the peace before returning to Brundall and the journey home later.  

The coming week promises to be a memorable one for me.  Just before ‘lockdown’ at the beginning of the Coronavirus crisis, I was put at risk of redundancy by my employer.  Aside from the time taken off when I had the virus, I worked through it as a key worker, working longer hours than usual, only to be rewarded when I returned to work after our recent two week holiday, by being put at risk of redundancy again.  The wife and I discussed the consequences and as the result, I successfully applied for voluntary redundancy and finish next Friday (21st).

It was a difficult concept for me to take at first - I’ve always worked since leaving school in 1972, just a few days after my last exam, but Covid has been a reminder of one’s own mortality, so I’ve now grown used to the idea and plan to make the best of the opportunity that has been presented to us.

Here are a few photos, Loddon basin at 15:00 yesterday afternoon and from a Pyes Mill this morning 

4D2E116D-F8D3-420D-B462-6B256A9FE870.jpeg

F1F896EA-D6B8-48C3-BC38-66EF4B7393F1.jpeg

3F61E726-72D5-4384-BE10-FE19D8A84F12.jpeg

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, trambo said:

How beautiful the Broads are, no matter how sullen the weather is. Lovely shots .

Fred

Glorious sunshine is one thing, but a still October morning with mist hanging over the water and a moody sky above is hard to beat.

We're picking up from Silverline tomorrow, and a call yesterday confirmed that Hoseasons advised pickup time of 1700 was in fact a load of twaddle! 1400 pickup and heading for Hardley Cross or Pye's Mill depending what time we get under way!

• Like 6

I think it may have had something to do with changeover. Out of curiosity, a couple of weeks back I looked for available boats on three of the big yards’ websites. Nothing available until mid September at the earliest. Even dayboats all booked. I know on Facebook people have been saying that they can’t get booked up. There was even someone asking if they could borrow a private boat - good luck with that one! HW yard webcam yesterday pm showed a hive of activity, today it is occupied by ‘guest’ boats. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaceSwinger said:

Glorious sunshine is one thing, but a still October morning with mist hanging over the water and a moody sky above is hard to beat.

We're picking up from Silverline tomorrow, and a call yesterday confirmed that Hoseasons advised pickup time of 1700 was in fact a load of twaddle! 1400 pickup and heading for Hardley Cross or Pye's Mill depending what time we get under way!

Autumn early mornings can be absolutely stunning, no doubt about that. 
I wonder how many people who booked through Hoseasons have gone by their quoted pick-up times. Everything I have heard about the company recently has been pretty dire. 

4 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I wonder how many people who booked through Hoseasons have gone by their quoted pick-up times. Everything I have heard about the company recently has been pretty dire. 

This year was the first time I've gone through Hoseasons; my preference is to book direct with the yard, usually Brinks as they offer a decent military discount and a little hamper for returning customers. The only reason we're going with Silverline is because they appear to be the only fleet operating a little 29' Alpha CC. Next year I'll be reverting back to Brinks direct or giving NBD a go. Hoseasons will certainly never get another booking from me; they've been an utter farce start to finish.

Just now, Cheesey69 said:

I know it sounds odd, but for us it was too hot.

Being a privateer, we are waiting for the weather to ease off a bit!

The dogs always worry me if it gets too hot, I must admit to being glad we were home during the really hot spell. 

1 minute ago, Cheesey69 said:

I know it sounds odd, but for us it was too hot.

Being a privateer, we are waiting for the weather to ease off a bit!

I get where you're coming from entirely there Cheesey. I was sat slowly cooking in my garden last week actually glad to not have been on a boat. Weather forecast this week isn't particularly stellar, but I think low 20s and an odd shower is preferable to low 30s and getting sun blasted all day!

27 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

This year was the first time I've gone through Hoseasons; my preference is to book direct with the yard, usually Brinks as they offer a decent military discount and a little hamper for returning customers. The only reason we're going with Silverline is because they appear to be the only fleet operating a little 29' Alpha CC. Next year I'll be reverting back to Brinks direct or giving NBD a go. Hoseasons will certainly never get another booking from me; they've been an utter farce start to finish.

I think once you have experienced Silverline you may not budge. Superbly presented and lots of little extra touches. Some people don't like their regimented way of working but if you don't have a problem with that you will find them very friendly and professional.  They normally do direct bookings (getting you free parking) but things aint normal! 

Fred

9 minutes ago, trambo said:

I think once you have experienced Silverline you may not budge. Superbly presented and lots of little extra touches. Some people don't like their regimented way of working but if you don't have a problem with that you will find them very friendly and professional.  They normally do direct bookings (getting you free parking) but things aint normal! 

Fred

I'm not going to go into too many details, but I'm very unlikely to ever go through them again. Sadly my impression so far this year, and indeed 2 years ago when we had Reflection, was not one of a friendly outfit.

I will concede that their boats are immaculately maintained and well appointed though.