Environment Agency & Water Standards

Ray

It seems that the head of the EA supports proposals to change/weaken the river standards post Brexit.

I don't pretend to know anything about the technical side of this, do you think this will have an adverse effect on the Broads if it goes ahead or will things pretty much carry on as before?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/19/environment-agency-chief-backs-plan-to-water-down-river-cleanliness-rules-james-bevan

Well yes they do have an agenda like most news orgs but the report is of a speech delivered by the head of the EA so that part at least isn't "spun"

Would it affect the Broads if it does go ahead is the main point I think.

So it seems that although we previously agreed to abide by European directives, we chose not to enforce this one fully because it didn't suit us. 

Does history record if the EA registered any opposition to this directive when it was brought in? Or offered a valid reason as to why it couldn't comply?

• Like 1

I suspect many directives will be abandoned and modified. The cynic in me wouldn't be at all surprised that each time it happens it will be spun as an improvement for all but in fact only benefit somebody's bottom line!

• Like 4

No matter which paper you read the main government theme seems to be "No additional burden" (Quoted from the introduction to a consultation which went live today re the Waste Management Plan for England)

When it comes to improving the environment one wonders how this can be achieved with such a  statement

Perhaps they can deregulate boat refuse to private so removing the cost for councils to provide rubbish collection at moorings, it was the eu that put a charge on boat rubbish that caused the councils to stop collecting from moorings with the house hold collection service as they collected from houses, it had worked well for years until the eu put there oar in. John

4 minutes ago, annv said:

Perhaps they can deregulate boat refuse to private so removing the cost for councils to provide rubbish collection at moorings, it was the eu that put a charge on boat rubbish that caused the councils to stop collecting from moorings with the house hold collection service as they collected from houses, it had worked well for years until the eu put there oar in. John

Interesting claim. Can you provide a source for it ?

23 minutes ago, annv said:

It was we, when we were members of the EU that, quite sensibly, aligned waste policy throughout Europe. I for one look forward to a new deregulated free Britain where the rest of the EU countries are able to dump their waste on us. I think some of those sunlit uplands may work really well as landfill. Silver linings!

This government wants to build more houses 

you can’t just keep breaking into existing services and adding on

one that is struggling is sewage treatment. The extra cost of returning fully treated sewage is huge and the companies are behind in their efforts 

never mind when a large downfall makes them open the overflow gates

this could release a bit more slack in system at the river’s expense 

3 hours ago, batrabill said:

It was we, when we were members of the EU that, quite sensibly, aligned waste policy throughout Europe. I for one look forward to a new deregulated free Britain where the rest of the EU countries are able to dump their waste on us. I think some of those sunlit uplands may work really well as landfill. Silver linings!

What a brilliant idea. I am sure that all the Covid 19 costs would be recouped in no time at all. Think how much we could take if the whole of Swaledale is designated a landfill site.

• Haha 1