A Phantom Holiday

Broads01

Finally, finally, I'm on the Broads for the first time this year. I had a hire due in April postponed until October and for a very long time I didn't know if the trip I started today would happen or if Covid would get in the way. But I'm here! I'm on Brinks Phantom and I'm writing this on Cockshoot Dyke. I'll keep it brief because the signal is poor.

Unfortunately my son is unable to join me but my daughter is happily due Monday pm. Rollie our faithful Lhasa Apso is here and also enjoying himself. It's been a fabulous day. We left home in South Wales at 0645 and after a straightforward journey I was parking in Roy's at 1130. Rollie walked, shopping done and food eaten we arrived at Barnes at 1320. The boat wasn't ready but a phone call was promised which I duely received at 1410. We were soon aboard, unloaded and the briefest of handover explanations given. Away we we went at 1530 with the help of one of the Thwaites brothers who kindly offered to take us out of the windy mooring basin. 

As one Charlie Griffin would say, the river was "proper busy". As always, the vast majority are sensible but the juvenile drunken minority do their best to spoil it for the rest. Nevertheless they didn't spoil a lovely sunny cruise. Progress was slow in the traffic but that didn't matter in the slightest. We arrived at Cockshoot around 1700 and I wasn't expecting any room but there was so much space that three boats came in after us. 

Hopefully I'll post some pictures tomorrow when the signal is better. 

I was surprised to see a permanent looking fence blocking off Cockshoot boardwalk and no signage explaining the reason. 

• Like 16

There were signs there saying the boardwalk was closed due to the pandemic, which may be true, however when we were there last November, parts of it were submerged.  The cynic in me wonders if using the pandemic is a cheap and easy way of explaining the closure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I had a brilliant day once again. Chugged to Womack in the sunshine, turned around at the Staithe (which was full at 1020) and had a lovely dog walk stop at the BA moorings on Womack Dyke. We carried on to Potter and I braved Lathams for a couple of items I forgot yesterday. That place is hideous in the current situation. I find it cramped and awkward at the best of times but insisting all customers use a trolley as a draconian method of social distancing doesn't work - all the narrow aisles become blocked with people and trolleys. I was relieved to return to the boat in Herbert Woods and had some food before heading back down to Thurne. I had a table booked at The Lion for this evening and as always it didn't disappoint. The Redwell Steam on draft always makes it for me and the delicious burger and cheesecake to follow was a bonus. 

• Like 13

Thinking it would end up rammed at Thurne I diligently moved the boat up close to the boat in front to avoid taking up more than my fair share of space. Once again I was surprised though because of course the moorings are very busy but nevertheless there ended up at least two good size spaces remaining. It's true, you really can moor in the afternoon on the North Broads, as long as you retain some flexibility. 

• Like 10

Monday 24th August. 

The day worked out really well. As I set off from Thurne at 0750, my daughter Natalia was already two hours into her journey to Norfolk and we'd arranged to meet at Barnes Brinkcraft boatyard. It was a chilly day but mainly bright and the lack of boat traffic contrasted with previously. It was a lovely cruise to Wroxham and the temperature gradually increased. Barnes was busy with boats being prepared to go out but there was space on the pontoon moorings. They're tight to get into so with a 42 foot boat the bow thruster was a useful tool. Natalia arrived safely at around 1130, checked her car in and came aboard - brilliant to have her company. Having started the day wearing a thick fleece by the time we moved off around 1230 I had tee shirts, shorts and suncream on. We headed for Salhouse to have food and a dog walk there. On the moorings there I counted only three spaces as we arrived. Later we enjoyed a very warm afternoon cruise to Fleet Dyke where we moored for the night on the first main mooring (as you come from the Bure). At 1630 there was plenty of space, as there had been at St Benets had we wanted to moor there. It seemed today day boats considerably outnumbered holiday boats - The Swan and The Ferry were packing in day boats stern on. 

• Like 7

The NWT boardwalk at Ranworth is still closed I believe - they seem to feel that social distancing cannot be maintained, although the BA's  Barton boardwalk is now open again.

I think it could be something to do with the use of volunteers - I noticed from a quick peek the Ranworth one has become a bit overgrown and if they are a bit like the BA, the use of volunteers just has not got going again properly. They are both, imho, being overly cautious but many voluntary organisations seem to be finding it hard to get volunteers back in any organised way.

Cockshoot  also has the disadvantage that access from the road has been closed - all to do with the landowners, the Cators again I think  Shame they should feel to deny the public access by withdrawing the permissive footpath rights, or so I believe, but what else can be expected? To restore them - if that is the case please? It was a beautiful spot walking down to the hide but us erks cannot expect everything!

Disappointing too that I seem to recall the BA had to restore it as well  - but to be fair I cannot recall the requirements of the old lease at Cockshoot moorings although something rings a bell!!

• Like 4

i think the windy bit will be overnight. Or so Windguru says but it is not as bad as the earlier storm, despite the forecasters on the TV and in the newspapers ramping it up  To be fair, some places have had it pretty bad with Wales and N Ireland copping it pretty bad.

Down south, I just think we will be getting more wind, than rain. Cue for Jay....!!!

42 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Is it very windy on the Broads today? I saw the warning posted for high winds, but it's not been too bad here in MK so far.

Helen

Been a bit draughty here in Northampton.  Garden furniture made a break for freedom a while ago, but was saved by the fence!!  Did someone mention it is summer?  Two named storms in a week in August?🤔🤔

I was looking at HW webcams this morning and was surprised to see a number of spaces at the 24 hour moorings. This was about 9am too so probably before some would have moved off. (A little later on, I saw a boat that looked remarkably like a certain forum member’s latest acquisition. Heading upstream towards the bridge. Probably wasn’t though.) 
It’s got progressively more windy as the day has gone on here in the south-east corner of Kent but not as windy as they forecast. Strong enough though but at least the sun is shining again. 

Yes it's been windy, and the wind seems to have increased in the last hour. It didn't cause us any issues though and we're moored for the night though. The fenders are creaking a lot! 

It was wet and horrible first thing but nevertheless I opted to stick with the outdoor helm position setting off and as far as Ludham Bridge. With this boat design visibility isn't great from the interior helm but once safely through Ludham I was pleased to switch over for comfort. There is a windscreen wiper for the below helm but alas it only worked for 5 minutes. I felt safe enough though and so stuck downstairs until we reached Barton Broad by which time the rain had eased. We headed for Neatishead and having hung around briefly to allow a couple of boats to depart there was space for us there. It was only around 1115 but I got the impression almost all the resident boats had already given up cruising for the day. I tend to avoid doing that just for the sake of a bit of a breeze. We left around 1400 and soon after there was an extended dry period as we headed for Stalham. We made the obligatory Tesco visit and then set off again as we have a table booked later at the Wayford Bridge Inn. The cruise to Wayford was a sunny one and we squeezed under the bridge (7 foot showing) intending to moor just the other side on the left. I last moored there two years ago so I was surprised to see the mooring has now been replaced with big red "no mooring" signs. Thankfully there was space at the BA moorings at the bridge so that's where we are now. 

• Like 5

Sad to hear the news about the mooring at Wayford - it was ok a couple of months ago.

It was sold some years ago but the mooring continued- the proliferation of No Mooring signs is really beginning to hack me off - that mooring was always so lovely and I would willingly pay to moor there. Glad in a way that i shall be forced to give up in a few years if this continues - what on earth excuse can there be for curtailing mooring, its hardly as though it has any other function!!. Moored there for about 60 years, or perhaps a bit less - shame you cannot claim squatters rights.

It will be this sort of attitude that hinders the Broads, not the increasing tolls!!!!!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, marshman said:

Sad to hear the news about the mooring at Wayford - it was ok a couple of months ago.

It was sold some years ago but the mooring continued- the proliferation of No Mooring signs is really beginning to hack me off - that mooring was always so lovely and I would willingly pay to moor there. Glad in a way that i shall be forced to give up in a few years if this continues - what on earth excuse can there be for curtailing mooring, its hardly as though it has any other function!!. Moored there for about 60 years, or perhaps a bit less - shame you cannot claim squatters rights.

It will be this sort of attitude that hinders the Broads, not the increasing tolls!!!!!

I guess it was always private land and either the landowner thought it no longer cost effective or the land was sold and the new owner doesn't want the hassle. When I walked over the bridge this morning I saw a sign saying "no public right of way". 

The meal at the Wayford was enjoyable and good value. The service could have been better as there was little organisation to what was going on but the food was good quality. 

• Like 3

You may be right - but I think I will remain illiterate!!!! I usually only stop for lunch!!  I know Tony Banks - he will know whats going on!!

Why buy a small bit of land which you can do little with - shame the BA couldn't have come to terms to have done something with it, although  I doubt they knew much about it, if at all.

Always enjoyed lunch at the Wayford Bridge Inn but haven’t been there for a while so many thanks for the update. We have always found their food to be amongst the best offered by the local eateries. 

Fantastic photos too. Should be some great entries if we have a calendar this year. 

• Like 2