American Diner?

750XL

I vaguely remember visiting the broads as a young lad (probably late 90's or early 00's) and stopping off for the evening at an American themed Diner somewhere on the broads. North or South, I've got no idea.

Any idea where this may have been? Presumably it's not there now wherever it was! Just reminiscing about old holidays...

Thanks

5 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Thanks everyone, that'll be it! Just had a look on google, it's a Hindu Temple now.

Interesting how times change, what a shame. From my vague memories it was bustling restaurant in the middle of the summer holidays! 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/bring-back-tradition-plea-as-pub-shuts-1-692086

Thanks for the link :) 

As mentioned previously, I was very young and have very vague memories of the Broads but that was one of the things that stuck in my head.

Along with me and my mum lay in bed in a bath tub screaming going across Breydon water! :default_hiding:

Maybe Acle is not the ideal place for tapas restaurants! I could never understand why the Stracey pub/diner/restaurant didn’t do better, ideally placed for passing road traffic and well placed on the river for visitors too. Needed the White Horse/Lion touch maybe!

Very true ,the road is clearly the route to Great Yarmouth to and from.Therefore most people aim to head into Yarmouth or going home.I did look at the chance to buy the pub.What I don't understand is the moorings to the pub.I'm fairly sure  they came with the pub,yet the stracey windpump and shop seem to control that stretch of moorings. That's not helpful. To work it needs something like the Whitehorse. Good food and beer bringing people in from the river and grub some from the road.

• Like 1

When it was the Pontiac the mooring were well used all ways lots of boats there very popular stop after coming through Yarmouth the moorings where free, when new owners took over they they started charging for mooring with out money back on a meal and they never cut the grass or did any maintenance, it then stopped being used, wind mill was still free so was well used now you have to pay for both. people wont pay for mooring if they can help it or use them if allowed to be over grown Beauchamp arms is a classic example of this well used until they stopped cutting the grass and renewing the mooring posts. John 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The road, during the winter, is relatively fast. When it is dark and wet it is not an inviting location

That doesn't say the half of it!

Back in the late 60s when the pub was heaving, if you wanted to turn right across the traffic, on the Acle straight, at night, to enter that pub on your way from Yarmouth, you were almost literally taking your life into your own hands!

• Like 3