What Kind Of Boat/activity Is Suitable For The Broads?

MauriceMynah

Yes this has been discussed before but some things seem to have changed. One constant is that water is dangerous stuff and is out to kill you. 

In the past, some boats have been described as "unsuitable for the Broads" predominately the big sea-going craft often seen at Brundel. The argument seems to be that as there is so much of broadland unavailable to them, and that as they are far too powerful for confined waterways, they are unsuitable.

Now, Being on the water is a pleasant experience, however it is fair to say that unless your intention is to go swimming, being on some form of craft is the desirable option. 

It does strike me as odd therefore that there are those who decry those "Gin Palaces" as unsuitable, tend to favour inherently unstable craft which are by their own admission unsuitable for some reaches of the Broads. The craft I refer of course are canoes, kayaks and paddleboards, and the areas are pretty much from Reedham/ Burgh Castle to the Stracey Arms.

So, I put it to all those who have objected to one, how do they justify the other?

Now I'm going to run away   :-) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Surely the gin palace/bling boat debate stems around the Broads being unsuitable for them rather than them being unsuitable for the Broads. For gracious living, and copious quaffing, a three decker gin palace, complete with all the electronic toys a boy could wish for, beats a paddleboard hands down! Just the small issues of limited navigation and restrictive moorings.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Cerise Lady will not pass Potter or Wroxham , Wayford or Beccles , so to many she is unsuitable for the Broads , to Katie and I she is suitable for us .

A youngster on their paddle board or in their kayak for an afternoon afloat finds these in their budget and enjoyable , many say they are unsuitable for The Broads, their users and owners think differently 

A 50ft “Gin Palace” is a wonderful platform to sit up high and enjoy the vista , with extremely comfortable accommodation aboard , restricted as to some waterways but able to access many others away from the river network if the owners so wish .

As long as your craft is suitable for you and you use it on the Broads then it is suitable for The Broads as you the user and owner sees fit and long may you all enjoy your chosen vessel 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Cerise Lady will not pass Potter or Wroxham , Wayford or Beccles , so to many she is unsuitable for the Broads , to Katie and I she is suitable for us .

A very good question.

People talk about the limits of navigation for a "gin palace".  But what are the limits for a paddle board or a canoe on the Broads?

Some would say, very much less!

But then maybe they now have support as the new "green" ecological option?

A bit like Norwich CC, among many other councils, trying to ban the motor car in favour of cycle lanes that no-one actually uses?  So Norwich itself, is dying on its feet.  We should not let that happen on the Broads.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

A bit like Norwich CC, among many other councils, trying to ban the motor car in favour of cycle lanes that no-one actually uses?  So Norwich itself, is dying on its feet.  We should not let that happen on the Broads.

Couldn't agree more. Public bodies forcing their idealistic agendas onto an unappreciative general public is fast becoming a pandemic and equally unwelcome.

• Like 5

after my trip to the staithe at geldeston, where half way along i encountered the canoe launch area of the campsite now opposite, at this point there were canoes, paddle boards swimmers, people paddling kids swimming, there must have been about 50 people in or on the water, all looking at me with expressions ranging from shock to anger that I had dared make them clear a path past them for a broads cruiser in that less than 30 foot river width to get to the staithe, 

that was an area less travelled so eminently suitable for those activities, but we all have to learn to get along with each other, some paddle boarders i have seen can barely steer their craft, but we all have to learn.

my approach when approaching canoes, paddle boards or swimmers is to cut back the revs to the point i am just ghosting through the water, so as not to create a wash to upset them, and make sure they have seen me, and glide past, maybe exchange a wave or pleasantry, even ones that sit in front of bridges on their phones.

its all about giving consideration to other river users.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

inherently unstable craft which are by their own admission unsuitable for some reaches of the Broads. The craft I refer of course are canoes, kayaks and paddleboards, and the areas are pretty much from Reedham/ Burgh Castle to the Stracey Arms.

I can't speak for paddleboards, as I have no experience, but, as I have just said in another thread with reference to Yarmouth, there is nowhere within the area above that could not be navigated by a suitably experienced person with a god understanding of the tides. At the other end of the scale, with large boats, we should remember that the Broads is no a discrete system. There is access from the sea at both Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft. There is no reason that a seagoing craft that meets the vessel size byelaws and pays an appropriate visitor toll shouldn't visit the parts of the Broads that it can access. Indeed I have done so before when breaking a passage from the Thames to Hartlepool in a seagoing yacht. It is precisely for this reason that ideas such as speed governers are unworkable. A seagoing vessel must remain suitable for use at sea if it is going to return there.

• Like 1

A suitable boat is what makes you happy, there are those that would tell you it must have sails, some will tell you it must be made of wood. Others will tell you that it must go under all the bridges. 

Do you know what, it's all bovine effluent. There is too much misery about, especially in this pandemic era. If it makes you smile then enjoy, and if someone wants to tell you it's not suitable then <<insert comic raspberry sound bite here>>

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paul said:

A suitable boat is what makes you happy, there are those that would tell you it must have sails, some will tell you it must be made of wood. Others will tell you that it must go under all the bridges. 

Do you know what, it's all bovine effluent. There is too much misery about, especially in this pandemic era. If it makes you smile then enjoy, and if someone wants to tell you it's not suitable then <<insert comic raspberry sound bite here>>

Excellent post!

I'm now off for an evening afloat on(and probably off) my registered, tolled and insured paddleboard whilst I am still allowed :default_gbxhmm:

• Haha 1