Evening Light 2

PAULG

Hi All,

We enjoyed our first adventure so much this year on Ladymore 2 we have booked again for next June (can't wait).

This time we have booked Evening light 2 from Herbert woods as I wanted something that will go under the bridges.

Just wanted to know if anyone had been on it this year as I can't seem to find any reviews/videos of the boat.

Only one downfall I have booked for the 5th June overlooking the fishing season had not started :default_crying1animated:

Hopefully the bloody virus will have done one by then:default_biggrin:

• Like 4

So pleased you enjoyed your first adventure, many more to come by the sound of it  :default_biggrin:  Another one bitten by the bug

I've not been on that boat personally, I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out. I may be mistaken but I think Mr and Mrs Nog may have hired her. Nice boat

Could you not ring the yard and change your date for the fishing season? They are normally very helpful 

Welcome aboard :default_icon_wave: x

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

I just googled “Evening Light boat” and came up with a few tripadvisor posts along with some forum posts. I don’t know if that is what you are looking for, but it’s a start! Hope that helps.

Bluebell I did the same but they are all old ones latest i could find was from 2017.

24 minutes ago, Gracie said:

So pleased you enjoyed your first adventure, many more to come by the sound of it  :default_biggrin:  Another one bitten by the bug

I've not been on that boat personally, I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out. I may be mistaken but I think Mr and Mrs Nog may have hired her. Nice boat

Could you not ring the yard and change your date for the fishing season? They are normally very helpful 

Welcome aboard :default_icon_wave: x

Replied without signing in so it may appear twice or mods will not approve it.

Gracie, we could but we have both booked the annual leave etc. The way I look at it, it will give us more time to explore and cool beers in the sun hopefully :327_sunny:

• Like 1

Hi Paul

Apologies, the computer takes about 3 hours to get up steam.

I’ve hired Evening Light 3 and 4. However as mentioned there are 4 of them and they all are pretty much identical. Faircraft Loynes have a couple too – must have been a batch built. No4 was badged as Freedom of Light for a while. They were in Woods Elite Fleet until a few years back. Now 20 years old they are starting to look a little tired but still a very nice boat.

They are based on the Alpha 31 foot hull and have the bathing platform at the back, access is very easy. They are a very nice boat for 2 although they will sleep 5 I believe. Not sure how many in your party, it would be a bit cosy if you had 5 on board.

They are shaft drive, the engine is in a box next to the rear berth but it is quiet enough under way. They seem very economical if you take it steady and go with the tide. Heads are compact but very functional. A curtain pulls across the door for showers and there is plenty of room. Jabsco pump type toilet. The cookers have been replaced and they have an inverter, think it’s about 1400 watts. You can get a microwave but think you need to ask.

They handle well and being 31 feet are easy to moor. One slight oddity is the front and rear doors which are household double glazed types. They are getting a little bit creaky but certainly draught free – a good winter boat but that shouldn’t worry you in June. One advantage of these doors is the full height glazing which makes stern on mooring a breeze. Most boats have half glazed rear doors.

They are a nice boat, if I had the money and the opportunity I would buy one.

Attached are a few photos of 4 – as I say the others are very similar. If you have any specific questions please let me know and I’ll try to answer them.

P1030079.JPG

P1030080.JPG

P1030081.JPG

P1030082.JPG

P1030083.JPG

P1030084.JPG

• Like 5
  • Love 1

........oh, forgot to mention, they have a low air draught - can't remember exactly, Woods will probably overstate it but around 6 ten I guess. No problem with Wroxham - the only iffy one might be Potter but not much gets under there these days. You've given yourself the best chance though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Hi Paul

Apologies, the computer takes about 3 hours to get up steam.

I’ve hired Evening Light 3 and 4. However as mentioned there are 4 of them and they all are pretty much identical. Faircraft Loynes have a couple too – must have been a batch built. No4 was badged as Freedom of Light for a while. They were in Woods Elite Fleet until a few years back. Now 20 years old they are starting to look a little tired but still a very nice boat.

They are based on the Alpha 31 foot hull and have the bathing platform at the back, access is very easy. They are a very nice boat for 2 although they will sleep 5 I believe. Not sure how many in your party, it would be a bit cosy if you had 5 on board.

They are shaft drive, the engine is in a box next to the rear berth but it is quiet enough under way. They seem very economical if you take it steady and go with the tide. Heads are compact but very functional. A curtain pulls across the door for showers and there is plenty of room. Jabsco pump type toilet. The cookers have been replaced and they have an inverter, think it’s about 1400 watts. You can get a microwave but think you need to ask.

They handle well and being 31 feet are easy to moor. One slight oddity is the front and rear doors which are household double glazed types. They are getting a little bit creaky but certainly draught free – a good winter boat but that shouldn’t worry you in June. One advantage of these doors is the full height glazing which makes stern on mooring a breeze. Most boats have half glazed rear doors.

They are a nice boat, if I had the money and the opportunity I would buy one.

Attached are a few photos of 4 – as I say the others are very similar. If you have any specific questions please let me know and I’ll try to answer them.

P1030079.JPG

P1030080.JPG

P1030081.JPG

P1030082.JPG

P1030083.JPG

P1030084.JPG

Hi Mrs and Mr Nog,

First of all thanks for taking the time out for the reply much appreciated.

Nice to know about the handling as this will be only my second time but I must admit I did manage it quite well in Ladymore 2 which is at 8ft 6in air draught, one day on malthouse broad was interesting as it was very windy. The good thing about it was the upper cabin which gave a fantastic all round view for the novice.

There is only myself and the wife so room wise we should be OK Ladymore 2 was very cosy (small).

I did wonder if you could see straight through for the stern on mooring and we did order the microwave at the time of hiring.

The air draught is stated at 6ft 10in which is one of the reasons we booked it as I would like to get to Coltishall and Hickling, we pick the boat up on the Saturday and I think looking at the web site 4pm is the collection time.

I have looked at the tide times for June next year and low tide is 5pm so hopefully we can pick the boat up and maybe get straight under Potter and get up to Hickling, I may try and book a mooring at the pleasure boat inn or risk it if there are plenty of moorings up there. Then get back under the bridge the following evening.

Once again thanks for the reply and the pictures.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, YnysMon said:

And there’s Dilham and Beccles Old Bridge to get under! Lots of quiet cruising along special sections of the rivers.

Good call booking a boat with low air draft.

:default_icon_wave:

Only there for a week and don't fancy tackling Breydon water just yet lol. May look as the southern broads next time though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PAULG said:

so hopefully we can pick the boat up and maybe get straight under Potter and get up to Hickling

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply, glad to help. June is a good time of the year and a good choice of boat so you may be lucky. Very hard to predict as weather conditions at the time will influence the river levels. Best to have a plan B but we will keep fingers crossed for you! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

with potter heigham, nothing is guaranteed, its very worth while talking to the bridge pilots on the day before leaving the yard, they will know what the tides are doing and the bridge clearances.

Grendel,    Thanks I had planned to do that and noted down the numbers of the potter and Wroxham pilots.

Biggest worry was being stuck the other side of the bridge for a few days, maybe get Herbert woods to fetch some of those big blue barrels :default_biggrin:

Hi Paul,

I hired no 1 back in 2011 and luckily I did manage to get under Potter however it was very low at the time which is rare these days. Boats like dual steer lowliner 38s and Alpha 42s centre cockpits were getting under which I imagine is unlikely to happen nowadays. If I remember correctly she needs 6ft 8 according to the pilot at Potter if that helps at all. Either way she won't have any problems getting under Wayford and Wroxham should be possible with the pilot which I believe Woods include in the price.

Have a good time.

Neil

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Captain said:

Hi Paul,

I hired no 1 back in 2011 and luckily I did manage to get under Potter however it was very low at the time which is rare these days. Boats like dual steer lowliner 38s and Alpha 42s centre cockpits were getting under which I imagine is unlikely to happen nowadays. If I remember correctly she needs 6ft 8 according to the pilot at Potter if that helps at all. Either way she won't have any problems getting under Wayford and Wroxham should be possible with the pilot which I believe Woods include in the price.

Have a good time.

Neil

Thanks Neil,

Will try but don’t want to risk being stuck on the other side. Managed to get up to Wayford on ladymore this year and have a meal in the hotel. Is there anything above the bridge worth seeing. Still looking forward to Coltishall which we could not do last year and How hill which we could not stop at as we needed to get back under Ludham at low tide.

Thanks for the replies

14 minutes ago, PAULG said:

Thanks Neil,

Will try but don’t want to risk being stuck on the other side. Managed to get up to Wayford on ladymore this year and have a meal in the hotel. Is there anything above the bridge worth seeing. Still looking forward to Coltishall which we could not do last year and How hill which we could not stop at as we needed to get back under Ludham at low tide.

Thanks for the replies

Upstream of Wayford is lovely, nice clear waters, quite narrow and tightish at the BA 24 hour mooring at the end, not all that much in terms of distance but a nice trip none the less. If its warm then likley to be plenty of the various paddle sport types for company.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Upstream of Wayford is lovely, nice clear waters, quite narrow and tightish at the BA 24 hour mooring at the end, not all that much in terms of distance but a nice trip none the less. If its warm then likley to be plenty of the various paddle sport types for company.

I completely agree. It's a short but very beautiful stretch of river and very quiet in comparison to the rest of the Ant.

Re Potter, I'm afraid the chances are you won't get through unless water levels are unusually low.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain said:

she needs 6ft 8 according to the pilot at Potter

I reckon that's right. The plate at the helm says 6ft 10 so there will be a bit of a safety margin. I doubt if there would be a problem with Wroxham or Wayford. 

regarding getting stuck - the pilots wouldn't take you through if they thought there was a risk. There have been occasions when this has happened but often due to heavy rain or adverse weather generally. it shouldn't be a problem. However Potter is more dictated by winds and tide rather than rainfall. 

PS agree with Simon - I think Potter nowadays is a slim chance - but you never know!

• Like 2

We think Dilham is well worth a visit. We’ve been there twice, went in March and October, so I’m not sure what it’s like in summer. Beautiful journey up there but only mooring for about three craft on the Staithe. If that’s full there seemed to be several good wild mooring spots on the way up from the Stalham fork towards Dilham.

There also a nice friendly pub in Dilham with good food.

• Like 3