Sir Tom Dies.

JennyMorgan

I was totally gutted to hear this. As soon as I heard he was in hospital, at the age of 100, it was unlikely he would make it through (although I desperately hoped he would). It is so cruel that Covid should take him after he was such a beacon of hope in the face of Covid. I hope that his family can take comfort in the amazing legacy he built over the past year. 

• Like 3

It’s strange to think that a year ago, aside from his family and friends, no one had heard of Captain Tom.  Yet the simple act of trying to raise £1000 for NHS charities endeared this man to the hearts of the people and in the end, he raised almost 33 million pounds.  A true British hero, a man of dignity and compassion and a wonderful role model.

RIP Captain Sir Tom.

• Like 3

A truly sad day for our nation, a role model indeed and a reminder of what being British was once all about. Sadly this pandemic has shown us just how selfish a nation we are becoming. From one ex solider to another I salute you sir, sleep tight tom you stood your post RIP.

Did anyone else go out and clap for Tom at 6pm this evening? We did but there was no-one else out in our street. Might have been one or two out in adjacent roads, I thought I could hear something in the distance. But it was a shame not to see more people out ... although it was a bit chilly and very dark.

What an inspiration he was. Never to be forgotten I would think.