Indian Restaurant

andyg

I’ve read that The Merchants of Spice in Thorpe St Andrew (within walking distance from the Commissioner’s Cut) has a very good reputation. Keep meaning to try them out. Reviews on Google and Trip Advisor have been good for the past few years. 
Closer to the centre of Norwich (Queens Road, just south of the centre), Nameste Village seems to be popular.

• Like 2

Think there’s a merchants of spice in Colegate too, very nice. Prince of India in Prince of Wales rd opposite the PoW pub, not sure if the passage to India is still open in Magdalen st by the flyover, lots of choice in the city, can’t wait until things are back to normal, lots of alumni to catch up on! Enjoy Andy!

• Like 1

Another vote for the Merchants of Spice in Thorpe. We go whenever we visit Norfolk and I honestly haven't found a better Indian restaurant in the UK. The food is amazing and the staff are very friendly. Can't recommend it enough.

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Each to their own but Indian & Chinese are well off my radar.

Give me good old English food over foreign rubbish any day, ooh my pizza is ready :default_smiley-angelic002:

2 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Far too many Ian and I now have to be careful with my diet, no carbs and no sugar, if they said no cheese life would not be worth living.

Regards

Alan

With Indian food,onions play a large part of the dish.About one third onions to meat or fish.Its possible to do Chinese food without onions,or sugar.Can also do without rice or noodles. 

Guest Jayfire

Sorry Alan but for me I'd take my garlic with a bit of pizza, actually, the same goes with all foods...yes, I like garlic maybe more than I should :default_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Sorry Alan but for me I'd take my garlic with a bit of pizza, actually, the same goes with all foods...yes, I like garlic maybe more than I should :default_biggrin:

Hi Jay I understand now why you do a fair bit of solo cruising, second garlic the morning after is not desirable.

• Haha 2

One of the best curries I had was a place called Zaika in Ipswich, they had a dish called Vada Curry which is a south Indian dish. Pakoras cooked in gram flour based special sauce, green chilies, onion and yogurt.  Fairly spicy but doesn't blow your head off!

I've never seen it anywhere else in Norfolk or at home in Warwick, if anyone does please let me know!

I need to arrange a sea trial with Fairline so looking forward to another visit

• Like 3

Thanks for the recommendation guys, I wasn't a fan of spicy foods myself untill I met my wife. Her mother was originally from Sri Lanka, the year after our wedding we visited her family in Sri Lanka and done a fair bit of travelling. My love of spicy food began. Indian food is by far my favourite.. 

• Like 2