Rules On The Broads

Andrewcook

Do Boaters know the Rules .One  Observed Speeds Two if Boat have a collision they should Stop Inspect the Damage exchange notes inform the Boat yard Three there's a by law that any Boats must stop knowing they hit the Boat and do not carry on as I had One and reported it to the Broads authority . As some Boaters Don't read the Manual on the Rules from the Broads authority set's out. 

38 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Do Boaters know the Rules

Some do, some don’t. Some couldn’t care less about rules. I think private boat owners and experienced hirers mostly know the rules and mostly obey them. Not all though by any means, particularly on your first point - speeding!

• Like 1

M

9 hours ago, marshman said:

Bit like drivers then - I wonder how most of us would fare in a current driving test!!!! I think we would mostly fail the theory, let alone the practical!!:default_sad:

My daughter's learing to drive at the moment and has a theory test app she downloaded. I got 3wrong out of 56, so a pass

• Like 2

The worst thing, I think, is the wash created by some boats. It’s clear some helms, both private and hire, have absolutely no idea what sort of wash their boat is making and have no conception of slowing down when passing moored boats. They’re within the speed limit (just) so that’s ok. Interestingly, we were at Reedham a couple of weeks ago when the ranger there shouted at a private helm to slow down. He got a mouthful back to the effect that the boat wasn’t speeding and suggested the helm looked at his wash. Seeing all the moored boats rocking around the helm  looked sheepish and said ‘point taken mate’ and slowed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

The worst thing, I think, is the wash created by some boats. It’s clear some helms, both private and hire, have absolutely no idea what sort of wash their boat is making and have no conception of slowing down when passing moored boats. They’re within the speed limit (just) so that’s ok. Interestingly, we were at Reedham a couple of weeks ago when the ranger there shouted at a private helm to slow down. He got a mouthful back to the effect that the boat wasn’t speeding and suggested the helm looked at his wash. Seeing all the moored boats rocking around the helm  looked sheepish and said ‘point taken mate’ and slowed. 

We were chatting to the Ranger at Reedham a couple of weeks ago and he said the same thing.  A boat going with the current can make little or no wash, but one punching the tide can make far more than you think even at a relatively low speed.

A good point re the wash created, as anyone familiar will know we (Malanka) actually make less wash at 4/5 mph than the Rangers do. The boats of the 50's and earlier were designed to cruise with minimal wash created at 7 or 8 mph compared to more modern cruisers. Always makes me smile when I see the "low wash hulls" cranking out a terrible breaking two level wash struggling up against the outflow at Reedham. Go back 50 years they worked very well then..

Martin

• Like 2

It's the guillotined stern/ transoms of many boats that causes those large stern wave, a swept up aft, tuned in and rounded transom lets them slip through the water with less drag and less wash too

I get amused at the Low Wash Hull statement - Re-inventing the wheel I call it and it often fails

Herbert Woods knew a thing or two about low wash hull design before the term was ever muttered

It's true about what Martin said about Malanka, I've seen it with my own Port and Stbd look-outs. 'B.A' is the same too (Unless we are towing a dinghy, then the wash is horrendous)

Wanna know a secret? Before now I once carried out an experiment that I have NOT made a habit of.

I allegedly transited through Horning at a full 5mph right under the nose of a ranger, not a word was said nor any raised eyebrows from the bank - That's because at 5mph and below 'B.A' hardly produces any wash

Griff

• Like 2

That's Point about the wash as I can remember years ago Herbert Woods Light Class Boats were all right on the wash and Speed because of the Front Now the Front Shape now coming back as Griff said B A does No Wash very true may I add except Towing Dinghy's not good at all.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I'm sure I've asked this before but I can't find it or remember the answer.

The terms wake and wash sometimes seem to be used to mean the same thing.. what specifically is 'wash' and what is 'wake'?

Good old Google :default_biggrin:

WAKE: is a wave caused by the boat moving through the water and displacing it. WASH: is the disrupted water at the stern of the boat, and is caused by the churning motion of the propeller.

Chris

• Thanks 1