Interesting Reading…

vanessan

I used to go to a wonderful chinese takeaway whose rating was suddenly dropped due to an invasion of cockroaches from a neighbouring premisis on the day of the inspectors visit, they were actually shut down over this occurrence, while the next door kebab shop remained open. needless to say the two businesses did not get on well with each other after that.

2 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Which is absolutely correct , and also means that the said time of 3-5 weeks was allowed for the Norada to be re-assessed prior to the 1 been posted on the council site 

The 3-5 weeks is to allow for an appeal, not necessarily a re-assessment! However a re-assessment may have taken place by now and a further 3 - 5 weeks will be needed before the result is published, in the meantime damage could be done to the business by highlighting what is in effect an out of date grading.

The policy was made to allow for a business to appeal in the case that they felt they really deserved a higher grading, The downside is that you can improve your grading, but it is still held back for 3-5 weeks in case you want to appeal. In the meantime internet media can freely cause damage to your business by highlighting what has now become an out of date grading. Doesn't seem fair, or what this forum should be about.

The rating is based on three things.The recording of food from the moment  it comes through  the door to the table. So temperature on delivery, fridge/freezer  temps.Cooking and any reheating temperature. The cleaning and storing of cleaning  chemicals. The condition of the premises. 

So in short :To get a high score all things need to have a high score.

You may for example have a good score  on temperature  control, but food handling  may be poor or the premises  may be in a poor state. 

It's like a chain from start to finish, each link is important. Ensure all staff,from kitchen  Porter to Mansgers are trained  and play there part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Meantime said:

The policy was made to allow for a business to appeal in the case that they felt they really deserved a higher grading, The downside is that you can improve your grading, but it is still held back for 3-5 weeks in case you want to appeal. In the meantime internet media can freely cause damage to your business by highlighting what has now become an out of date grading. Doesn't seem fair, or what this forum should be about.

Agree completely with you about internet causing damage to a business but do feel the thread topic should be aired here considering how many people dine out when on a boat.

• Like 4

Meantime, apologies .

Yes you are correct the period of 3-5 weeks is to allow an appeal of a low rating being awarded , when the council updates their page to a higher rating for the Norada I will certainly make a point of posting so on here .

Until such a time I feel it is best avoided to continue to discuss a single establishment awarded a 1 rating amongst the 39 establishments originally referred to in the original posting .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

As I mentioned above a rating of 0-4 will not be published for 3-5 weeks to allow the owner of the business to appeal the result. Therefore it is entirely feasible that a second inspection has happened and although better, as it is not a rating of 5 it has not been published yet. 

If that is the case, I would have thought any business proprietor in that situation would say so on their fb page or whatever. 

• Like 1

I agree, it's unfortunate that the discussion focussed on one establishment. 

There was one particularly slow summer at work, preceding a Broads trip, where I checked the food standards agency website and made note of establishments that had particularly good scores combined with good reviews generally, which informed our plans of where to eat out. We don't eat out much anyway, so I guess I'm more bothered than some might be when we have a sub-standard meal.

Some establishments with poor hygiene scores at the time had very good reviews, but I didn't find many places with good hygiene scores that had poor reviews.

• Like 1

A one star is a very good indication of what is going on in the business. Even if an establishment suddenly gained a four star I would want to be sure  that it was being kept up after the inspection.

Being graded as one star is an indication that standards had previously slipped.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Just to update things for those people who said they would not visit The Norada when it was given a one star food hygiene rating. It was reassessed on the 6th October and is now classified at 3 stars - "Generally Satisfactory"

https://ratings.food.gov.uk/authority-search/en-GB/norada/potter heigham/Relevance/0/231/^/0/1/10

I hadn't taken much notice of the rating system before I read this thread. We tend to stick to what we know and like. But I have since and I have to be perfectly honest here, I'm not sure a 3 star rating is anything to shout about. I haven't used this establishment for either a drink or food  so I may be being unfair, but I'm 99% certain that since I've been looking at the rating given and displayed in pubs restaurants we've used I haven't seen anything lower then 5 start, so purely on that basis I wouldn't use it. Possibly a over reaction and miss guided faith in the system. But good to see it going in the right direction. But to be fair it has seemed busy when we've passed it over the summer. 

• Like 1

Our Lads Week crew (Eighteen of us plus dogs) used the Norada Friday evening at the start of our week.  It was proper busy, we all ate there and stayed on for libations.

No complaints all to the good, the staff were attentive but not over so and the food was fine

Griff

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Our Lads Week crew (Eighteen of us plus dogs) used the Norada Friday evening at the start of our week.  It was proper busy, we all ate there and stayed on for libations.

No complaints all to the good, the staff were attentive but not over so and the food was fine

Griff

And I guess that's the point I was trying to make. Is the scheme and scores given, misleading? Like you say the two times I've walked past the pub this summer it's been packed. 

• Like 1