Ice Blocks For Cool Box

olibird

In the 70s and early 80's very few sea going, sailing boats anyway, had fridges. Inland boats often had gas ones. Most of the marinas had chest freezers for you to put your freezr blocks in overnight along the SouthCoast.

I still have all mine with our name felt-tipped on, two sets one in use and one freezing. It was during this time that we were introduced to the much higher performance of the "igloo" icebox range, even then they were expensive but worth every penny. Every year it would still get pressed into service when the car was loaded for a shooting/fishing trip. 

Unfortunately about six years ago it had a bad fall and went into terminal decline. It has been replaced by a "Yeti" which again brought tears to the eyes cost wise but the performance is superb. 

Last September my son and I went for a week of evening flights to the St David's peninsula. This was as Wales closed down again. No problems with the Yeti 7 days of frozen meat, fish, veg was packed in Norfolk and was still rock hard when we arrived 2 days later ( Overnight stop in Bucks to pick up son ). 

I have great affection and happy memories for the simple "chilly bin".

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

It may be worth buying a few freezer blocks from somewhere like B&M and when you moor up if you’re near a pub or shop see if they will allow you to freeze them in their freezers,

If in a pub, you’d better wait there until the blocks are frozen………..

• Haha 1

We have recently installed a new fridge (240v) with a fairly decent sized freezer compartment.  It works a treat.  MrsG still buys bags of ice though to supplement our cool box, that runs off 240 and 12v dc, putting ice packs in it helps the start up / cooling down process immensely.  The cool box is also a huge bonus for keeping drinks chilled and maggots in top condition as she insists on putting food in the beer cooler (Fridge)

Griff

13 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

We have recently installed a new fridge (240v) with a fairly decent sized freezer compartment.  It works a treat.  MrsG still buys bags of ice though to supplement our cool box, that runs off 240 and 12v dc, putting ice packs in it helps the start up / cooling down process immensely.  The cool box is also a huge bonus for keeping drinks chilled and maggots in top condition as she insists on putting food in the beer cooler (Fridge)

Griff

How does the power consumption of your 240v fridge and inverter compare with a 12v version Griff? 

I guess Robin may have some figures?

Very nicely. The fridge on full chat consumes 6w per Hr. It’s rarely on full chat for any length of time. Normally when we first step onboard but at those times we are plugged into shore power. Seeing as we have six 120amp leisure batteries onboard & two solar panels, 6w an hour is affordable. The fridge was about £150 compared to over £600 for a marine 12v only version 

Griff