Lads Week 2021

grendel

2 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

I know from experience that the only sure fire way is to weigh them, even if there are gauges fitted they can give an unreliable reading!

It's not rocket science! A 13kg propane gas bottle means there are 13kg of liquid gas in it when charged. An experienced mechanic only has to lift it a bit, to know whether it is full or empty.

Most boats have 2 bottles in the locker, with an automatic changeover valve which changes over when one bottle gets empty and shows a red warning when this has happened. A boat can go on hire for a week with one bottle half full, but there must be a full one to "back it up".

Sorry, but to come out and change 4 bottles, on 2 boats, means the mechanic did not check the boats properly before they went out on hire.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Well arrived at rockland, I struggled to get WiFi here last time I was here, so in the interval I purchased a Huawei mobile WiFi with antenna sockets, and a pair of antenna, these are now deployed on the roof of Jewel 2, and I have a connection.

Yes please Peter. Which model mifi and whose aerials did you get. We currently use a 3 WiFi unit which doesn’t have ae connections.

Colin

We use a travel/suitcase scale. The type that has a hook on it and although  very cheap are remarkably accurate. The tare weight is always marked on the bottle, usually on a disc around the neck.

We use 13Kg propane for cooking and they will last about 6 to 7 months. A simple weight check should mean never having a spare bottle onboard.

Colin :default_beerchug:

N.B. Forgot to add, for those that don’t know, we live onboard and I cook every day.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Vaughan said:

A 13kg propane gas bottle means there are 13kg of liquid gas in it when charged. An experienced mechanic only has to lift it a bit, to know whether it is full or empty.

I can manage that bit, it’s the how full or how empty I have trouble with! 

• Like 1

It was an early start this morning, as soon as it was light enough to see we departed Rockland, with a thick mist over the river we were using the deck well lights of the boat in front to steer, it was like this as the sun rose from behind the clouds.

Jewel 2 had quick pooch stop at polkeys mill, and then we caught up with the others on breydon. Around the yellow post and we were still slightly early at great Yarmouth, then it was a trip up the bure to stokesby where we found enough space, so pub time was called.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveO said:

Even up North the river levels are incredibly high at the moment. Not surprised you are having problems with bridge clearances.

We chugged up The Ant this morning, but the advance height marker (that I know is out by about 6” was reading 7ft 9ins.  Admittedly it was about three hours before low water and it would drop some more, but I wasn't going to risk it.  If the levels remain high, it could stop us from getting back later in the week.

We’ve changed our plans and currently sitting at a very sunny Ranworth Staithe 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Sorry, but to come out and change 4 bottles, on 2 boats, means the mechanic did not check the boats properly before they went out on hire.

I agree entirely. Not the worst though: I heard a story from a yard last year that one boat called up at about 8pm on take over day to report no domestic power. The call-out engineer attended with batteries etc and proceeded to go to the battery bank to discover that one (maybe both) of the domestics had exploded. That was one of the more unusual call outs; the most common was that the domestic batteries were pancake flat: it was clear that at least one of the turn-around engineers were not checking at all. 

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We chugged up The Ant this morning, but the advance height marker (that I know is out by about 6” was reading 7ft 9ins.  Admittedly it was about three hours before low water and it would drop some more, but I wasn't going to risk it.  If the levels remain high, it could stop us from getting back later in the week.

We’ve changed our plans and currently sitting at a very sunny Ranworth Staithe 

Keeping the taxi tank for me I hope , I’ll be down Friday 

• Haha 1

Well it was on from stokesby, and we headed further north, stopping en route at acle to fill with water and engage a boat full of pirates with the NERF revolvers. Then it was on to fleet dyke where we squeezed in by asking a boat to move up a few feet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Keeping the taxi tank for me I hope , I’ll be down Friday 

Taxi rank currently empty!!  The boat that has been there since before we arrived, departed about half an hour ago and no one’s filled it yet!!  We’re at the opposite end of the side moorings, watching the comings and going’s across the broad.

Fleet dyke, an afternoon of relaxation, fishing and general chilling out, we were one person short on jewel 2 so had one day to fill in on meals, fortunately yesterday's spaghetti Bolognese, had been made in a generous quantity ( there was still a small amount left after we had all had tea today too) so we added half a bag of carrots and half a bag of potato left over from my Sunday roast and made a meal of it. Then we settled down to watch TV, have a few drinks and off to bed.

• Like 1

This morning and Broad Ambition needed a pump out, so we sailed into south walsham broad, unfortunately the quay heading was full, so we carried ion, did a quick tour of the inner broad, and then headed for ranworth, no space at the inn, so carried on round to the ferry inn horning, the two jewels moored up, then BA carried on and got a pump out, then came back and moored alongside us.

IMG-20211014-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20211014-WA0004.jpeg

• Like 2