Quiet (at The Moment)

NorfolkNog

I do not do cold.

I was once tasked to bring Derwent 1 and Derwent 2 from South to North mid winter. I have never been so cold or miserable......ever. 

Once,  mid winter, an extremely cold winter, took a boat from Stalham to Coltishall. Just past Belaugh, the River was blocked, full of geese, not hundreds, more than, wild birds, they did not move, just parted as I very slowly passed through their midst over several minutes, fifteen or twenty, I had to go through them very slowly, on tick over really.

One of those magical broads moments.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Saw you arrive just as we cast off for The Ferry House.  We’d have stayed for a chat, but were running out of daylight.  I know we have nav lights, but wanted to get safely moored before darkness fell.  With the closure of The Yare, I take it that a train ride beckons to partake of tonight’s beverage intake.

Have a good evening!!

Hi Malcolm 

Sorry to have just missed you, hope you enjoyed the Ferry, excellent pub :default_biggrin:

We did indeed have a highly enjoyable evening :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

All quiet at Swancraft this morning 

Now safely moored at Loddon - rammed with fishermen but one of them very kindly helped us squeeze in 👍

Be very careful with the dredgers - one moored just past the end of Pyes Mill - very tight. 

Lovely day - warmer than when we were last here in May 

DSC_1167.JPG

DSC_1166.JPG

DSC_1165.JPG

DSC_1164.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The swan is quite good on beer prices these days but the food looked a bit fancy for my simple tastes, I like pub grub.

I've only made it in the angel once (a few years ago) and it was like a creche at the time so we didn't last long as I'm allergic to screaming brats.

• Like 1

From the photos I’ve seen this morning it looks as if you have a little more brightness and sunshine on the southern rivers than we have had further north.

Always enjoyed a trip to Loddon. Would definitely be on my list if I get back south sometime. 

• Like 2

I hope you realise it's a legal requirement for a rosy lee's brekkie when in loddon, she will deliver to your boat too but if the weather is kind she has a garden beside the staithe car park hidden away.

We've visited Loddon stax of times - No surprise there then, but to date never had a breakfast from Rosy Lee's - Need to correct that fooparr one of these days

Griff

• Like 2

Yo To All

We have read for a long time and not posted always enjoyed your posts Norfolk Nog.

A tip to help with Smoggy and his wonderful reply.

We went to Rosie Lees I ordered the Large breakfast and Marge ordered the normal just a touch of controversy :default_eusa_naughty: anyway Billy the fish turned up (Caroline's husband } ran the shop half way up the hill. "Kippers she said amongst other catch that had been brought to Lodddon.

"Old Parge couldn't resist "can I have just one as a starter please Caroline" on its way" she said. Well I had some surprise two small sharks turned up with a poached Ostrich egg(double yoker) on top. :default_biggrin:. They where delicious accompanied by a 1/2 inch thick slice of crusty Brown loaf with a quarter pound of best butter to be used as a weight to hold it on the plate. WOW old Parge is full and very grateful absolutely delicious.:default_smile:.

Next statement from Caroline "here is your breakfast" Oh my goodness three days sustenance on a plate slightly charred around the edges but that is the way at Rosie Lees.:default_icon_clap:.

Old Marge had some fun watching me down that delicious breakfast.:default_party0001:. All I can say is a proper cafe with character and long may it be there for all to enjoy.

Kindest Regards

Marge and Parge    

• Like 4

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

It's a shame about The Angel. New owners took over not that long ago (just before Covid struck I think?) and they seemed to be attracting really good reviews for their food offering. I had been hoping we'd visit sometime. 

Tis shame Helen they must have spent a few bob on it 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

Old Marge had some fun watching me down that delicious breakfast.:default_party0001:. All I can say is a proper cafe with character and long may it be there for all to enjoy.

That was some breakfast!

By the way, welcome to the forum Marge and Parge!

Helen

• Like 1

Check out the ship at reedham, Maria & Richard have been doing a good job of making it a pub again (that is actually open in normal times) and well worthy of support.

I've even heard good things about steak pie which is a long time coming after Pete's legendary offerings.

As a disclaimer we've not been there since summer due to circumstances.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Check out the ship at reedham, Maria & Richard have been doing a good job of making it a pub again (that is actually open in normal times) and well worthy of support.

I've even heard good things about steak pie which is a long time coming after Pete's legendary offerings.

As a disclaimer we've not been there since summer due to circumstances.

Heading that way shortly Mr Smoggy sir, so will report back 

Normal hours, ie not booting out early, is music to my ears