Which 1st Hiring Yard Kick Start 2022

Andrewcook

Herbert Woods let a few of their boats out over the winter. And I noticed that Richardson's are starting their hire calendars earlier in February for 2022. Mind you, they lift the prices even then for Feb half term, which I think is a little unfortunate and unfair. It's not like it's high season or even close to spring really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

Herbert Woods let a few of their boats out over the winter. And I noticed that Richardson's are starting their hire calendars earlier in February for 2022. Mind you, they lift the prices even then for Feb half term, which I think is a little unfortunate and unfair. It's not like it's high season or even close to spring really.

When I looked on the NBD website I looked at the price of their new Boat Fair Regal for 2022 at a Christmas. December 10th for 7 days was £1806.00 and December 23rd for 7 days was £2273.00. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

In August 2022 it goes up to £3401.00 for seven nights.

I put a sad face on both your posts Graham but what I really wanted was a wow! I know there's the economic forces of supply and demand. And naturally more demand in school holidays but this is soooo much money. I am starting to feel priced out of a summer holiday on the Broads. I just can't bring myself to consider paying the kinds of prices that are being advertised for some of the boats, or to pay so much more than I can hire for at another time of year.

• Like 2

Wow, £3,400 for 7 days, that is incredible. 

We spent 13 weeks on our boat in 2021, so that makes the cost of moorings, tolls and insurance per year, seem much more palatable, equating to just about 1 week on Fair Regal !!

Yep NBD new boat is mega expensive, regardless of its fit out. But then everything len does always is. All the big boys are going down the road of premier quality boats lots of space etc. Which personally I think is fine, if folk are willing to pay for it then build it. Richardsons have taken approximately 30 budget end boats out of its fleet, some folk will upgrade some probably can't afford to. This is where I think a yard like bridge craft will benefit in the long run. Good quality value for money boats. I was told hw have 12 boats they allocate for winter cruising. It surprised me that one is one of the old centre cockpit CC boats. Bit drafty for winter cruising IMHO. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SwanR said:

I put a sad face on both your posts Graham but what I really wanted was a wow! I know there's the economic forces of supply and demand. And naturally more demand in school holidays but this is soooo much money. I am starting to feel priced out of a summer holiday on the Broads. I just can't bring myself to consider paying the kinds of prices that are being advertised for some of the boats, or to pay so much more than I can hire for at another time of year.

We were priced out of summer hire on the Broads well before Covid hit but with the way prices have risen since we are on the verge of being priced out of spring and autumn hire as well.

The hire costs for some of these boats makes the cost of owning and maintaining a boat almost seem reasonable :default_laugh:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cal said:

We were priced out of summer hire on the Broads well before Covid hit but with the way prices have risen since we are on the verge of being priced out of spring and autumn hire as well.

The hire costs for some of these boats makes the cost of owning and maintaining a boat almost seem reasonable :default_laugh:

Personally with all the doom and gloom going on around international travel and the ever changing restrictions,I can't see the current pricing policy changing any time soon. 22 is looking like another staycation year for many. We should all know by January where we stand with this latest wave of covid. If bookings for the broads do really take off again, I could even see the current prices going up unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, andyg said:

Personally with all the doom and gloom going on around international travel and the ever changing restrictions,I can't see the current pricing policy changing any time soon. 22 is looking like another staycation year for many. We should all know by January where we stand with this latest wave of covid. If bookings for the broads do really take off again, I could even see the current prices going up unfortunately. 

Sadly I have to agree with you.

If prices do go up further still then that may well spell the end of us holidaying on the Broads certainly by hire boat anyway. We will certainly visit at some point in the motorhome but it won't be the same as being on the water.

• Like 2

Thanks both. We have looked and there are plenty of places for us to stop with the van. 

We will pop down that way at some point in the future but for now we are enjoying lots of other places that we have not had the chance to see while we had the boat.

On 13/12/2021 at 08:45, Andrewcook said:

Hi Cat as you got a Motorhome you can always go to Wowmack as there's a Mobile caravan Club Park Right apposite the Boating Stern on Moorings. 

A friend of mine has a motorhome and he says that all the popular sites are booked up way in advance by caravan club members. Womack only has about 5 pitches

29 minutes ago, PaulN said:

A friend of mine has a motorhome and he says that all the popular sites are booked up way in advance by caravan club members. Womack only has about 5 pitches

They are. If we want to be in a specific area at a specific time and need to book a pitch we are having to do it 12 months in advance.

We have booked pitches for all of our main trips out next year right through to the end of the year to make sure we get where we want to be in Burnham Deepdale, Southwold, Isle of Wight and Devon and Cornwall.

Bank holidays in particular have proven tricky. Although we landed lucky with that last year and booked Whitby for the August bank holiday at the last minute and really enjoyed it although that was a massive 300 pitch "pop up" campsite.