What Was It Like The Very First Time You Piloted A Boat...as In "never Before" Until That Moment?...

DeeBee

2 hours ago, Cal said:

I am going to guess that on the Maxum it will only be 1 full turn lock to lock much the same as it was on our Sealine.

You really didn't need to turn the wheel much at all for it to respond and steer. Took a while for us to realise that the steering wheel wasn't on straight though. :) 

Still miss her sometimes.20180519_130528.thumb.jpg.966d3554c512ee3f2956d5c793693665.jpg

Cal, you'll be pleased to hear NC is alive and well living at Broadsedge next door but one to No Worries. She's been a bit of a floating caravan this year while her new owners waited for outdrive parts but they're a lovely couple and were very interested when I told them about the joys of Southwold and even the Deben! 

1 hour ago, Cal said:

As an alternative to the expensive rudder indicators, just make sure the drive and wheel are set centre and put a piece of tape on the steering wheel at 12 o clock to mark the centre point. 

Yep, a lot cheaper it has to be said, but has to be done in a tidy manner to look smart if that matters. The down side being when you first come to the boat after being stationary, the wheel could be one or two turns out either way. You'll find out though, as you scrape along the pontoon or boat alongside. The indicator is correct all the time. I'd say 30 quid is cheap.

36 minutes ago, Ray said:

a very experienced helm told me "make haste slowly" said in a full lovely Norfolk accent. 

This is exactly right!

Another thing we say is  "let the boat do the work".

Work out what the tide and the wind are doing and come in to moor against them.

Never be in a hurry, when you are handling a boat.

• Like 2

Maybe some of you could make some short vids of what you actually do...Kind of 'add' to the Richardsons and Broads Authority vids on YouTube but applicable to the Broads (other than the American vids who seem to high five a lot)...But more actual real life...showing what you do...Theres a load of experience here..and im open to learn...Just a thought..:1312_thumbsup_tone3:

Maybe some of you could make some short vids of what you actually do.

Been done lots of times

Go onto YouTube and look for Londonrascal and his 'Captains Blog' there are plenty of videos of boats on the broads some of them instructional with tips.  You will even find a few of me taking 'B.A' through Potter Heigham bridge and a particularly notorious one when Wroxham bridge was facing the wrong way, Oh and how to set / remove Rhond Anchors too

Enjoy,

Griff

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray said:

No one has mentioned the one problem with that (for me anyway) If someone is watching it all goes to hell in a handcart, if no one is around every manoeuvre goes perfectly and would satisfy HM Admiralty lol

I may have mentioned this before, I once did a perfect stern on mooring at Ranworth when no one was there…😎

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

I once did a perfect stern on mooring at Ranworth

Same here. It was a good few years ago now but strangely enough it’s still etched in my memory because I was so proud of it!! Straight back, first time, between two other boats. Unlike the worst one I ever did at Thurne Dyke. :default_rofl:

• Like 1

1971, one lesson sailing a wayfarer on the loch behind  Eochar Sgoil (school) in the Outer Hebrides.

1980 an RAF Sailing Association sailing course, at Horning. 

Shortly after bought a laser and competed With Horning SC and Snowflakes SC, which also meant doing rescue boat duties.

A few day boat hires between then and

2001 buy our own motorboat.

Never had a problem helming, the only time of concern was the first time through Heigham bridge...

Ps it's noticeable the emphasis these days the emphasis is on Potter rather than Heigham.. but very old maps say it's Heigham Potter marshes, and the Latham's area is Heigham Falgate

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray said:

No one has mentioned the one problem with that (for me anyway) If someone is watching it all goes to hell in a handcart, if no one is around every manoeuvre goes perfectly and would satisfy HM Admiralty lol

With me, that applies to falling in the river.  I must have fallen in a hundred times by now but never on my own.  There always seem to be at least 10 people standing around to have a good laugh!

• Haha 2