Mariners Notice 4 Of 2022 Emergency River Closure Haddicce Cut

Dear all,

Please see attached Notice to Mariners 04 of 2022 regarding an Emergency river closure and width restrictions for piling works at Haddiscoe Cut. You can also find navigation notes provided by the Environment Agency attached as part of the NTM document.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/notices-to-mariners

All the best

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Mobile 07986003359

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 8.00am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday, with alternate Mondays as non-working days.

If I am out of the office I will deal with your email on my return, alternatively please contact another member of the Communications team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good job it wasn’t done through the winter, when river traffic was minimal.  It’s great that we can navigate around the problem, but 2 hours cruising instead of 45 minutes.

Damn!  My cynicism breaking cover again!!

10 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

What with Haven bridge still out of operation, the restricted headroom at St Olaves bridge, the larger seagoing Brundall Navy are now effectively landlocked until Haddiscoe cut is completed

Griff

They’ll have to go to Bramerton instead, then!! 😉

• Haha 3

Just now, Vaughan said:

I assume they are trying to shore up the railway embankment to stop it getting washed away again?

Yes, that’s what occurred to me too. It does say emergency works, so presumably not something they could plan far in advance.

If it’s going to prevent another incident for the railway I’m all for it. And at least doing it in March is better than later in the year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Yes, that’s what occurred to me too. It does say emergency works, so presumably not something they could plan far in advance.

You would hope that since the river authority gave planning permission for the opposite bank to be replied and the bank raised, that they would know where the water was going to overtop next time round? Plainly they didn't so they are going to fix it. Hopefully they have leaned their lesson and know where it is going to over top next time, or maybe not, I guess time will tell! Who will be the next unlucky recipient of flood water being stopped from going onto a flood plain?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Dear all,

Please see attached Notice to Mariners 04 of 2022 regarding an Emergency river closure and width restrictions for piling works at Haddiscoe Cut. You can also find navigation notes provided by the Environment Agency attached as part of the NTM document.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/notices-to-mariners

All the best

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Thanks for the heads up - went through today on route from Beccels to Waters edge on the Yare and you could see they were getting ready with the equipment just south of St Olaves Marina.

When BESL did the bank work down the New Cut it was my understanding was that the intention that the whole of Haddiscoe Island, or whatever it is known as, was deliberately left as a flood plain. 

In fact, if I recall, the bank just by the bridge was left low for that very purpose although as far as I am aware its never overtopped into the island since it was built as such.

The breach this year on the other side under the rail line was for other reasons and although I did not see any aerial shots, the amount of flooding was limited to a small area - whilst it washed the track bed away it seemed a relatively minor breach and was repaired quickly. My guess its is only in this area is the piling taking place and whilst they have the kit in place , they may well do other small bits - steel piling is horrendously expensive to replace /renew and they will only be doing what's essential. Or so I would have thought!

and they will only be doing what's essential. Or so I would have thought!

Situation normal there then,  Another breach waiting to happen down the river at some point

Why is it on various news outlets around the country when flooding from rivers occurs, the reporters wrongly state 'So and So river has burst its banks' - when of course the river banks haven't burst at all, river banks rarely 'Burst', which is a really serious situation. What generally happens is that the volume of water over tops the banks - a totally different situation, I do wish they would get it correct

Griff

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...