Broadsmen (people)

Over the past couple of weeks I 'Met' another genuine Broadsman over the phone.  I have yet to meet him in person which I will do so this / next month.

I won't name him or his former yard for now as I'm hoping he may join the NBN

Nowadays he is retired but he used to be a boat builder and yard manager in a now long gone large boatyard on the Yare (Not Brooms btw)   We had an interesting conversation.  Two things he said that were really surprising, he told me that between 76 and 85-ish his yard was absolutely flat out fulfilling orders.  In one particular year they built and fitted out seventy six new boats.  Yes that's right seventy six in one year ! - Wow! they were all tupperware of course, the moulds done over in Rackheath.  He said managing the progress and workforce when it was manic was a breeze but more awkward during slacker times.  Nearly all the engines used were either Perkins or Bmc with Nannis's just starting to break through

I do hope he joins as it is always a bonus for the NBN to have such fascinating Broads Men' onboard with their historical knowledge to share / educate

Griff

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

I would have one question for any old Broadsman like the guy above: Any idea what happened to the old drawings?

Someone who worked at HW told me that the drawings for the Golden Light boats were chucked in a skip. Sadly, it seems a lot of the old drawings met a similar fate. I think I know where the drawings for the Ripplecrafts are, just a case of finding the time to sort through the piles of stuff to find them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

What I don't know is where I can source an original Jack Powels build plate

Griff

Do you have a photo of an original? If so and know dimensions, I would think they could be replicated as a last resort.

1 hour ago, socrates said:

Someone who worked at HW told me that the drawings for the Golden Light boats were chucked in a skip. Sadly, it seems a lot of the old drawings met a similar fate. I think I know where the drawings for the Ripplecrafts are, just a case of finding the time to sort through the piles of stuff to find them. 

Well let's not give up hope; one day we may find a dusty old attic somewhere.... 

I bet those screw slots were aligned, both horizontal originally. Just me but I hate seeing Barometers,clocks, plates etc screwed on boats and the screws not aligned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grendel said:

I know I could do a close match in wood or acrylic, theoretically I can do brass and aluminium, so not promising, but I can have a try for you Griff.

Do you mean a miniature one for the model BA, or a full size one for the real boat :default_wink:

• Haha 1

You could use an Engraving Laminate. I know that Traffolyte do a Gold/Black/Silver that would replicate the photo of the original very well as you would get the gold lettering with the black background. You need to get hold of an off-cut and get it on a CNC Router. I think a 1.5m x 1.3m x 3mm sheet is knocking on £200, hence an off-cut.

https://www.908ltd.co.uk/shop/external-engraving-laminate/gloss-black-gold

not quite as bad as you think, this black gold black is £22 for a 2' x 2' sheet (610x610)@ 1.5mm thick

but I do have a small cnc router system, and I think I may be able to get close, (i havent found how to hatch the background yet and the font isnt quite perfect)

but I have a design in the software now

jack Powles.jpg

• Like 2

Had a moment's panic when I thought it had missed the middles of the o's and other letters, but it went round and cleaned those out at the end, I will have to run it as 2 separate operations as the bit I used for the lettering was too short to go through the work readily, and if it catches in brass it will certainly break the bit. But quite pleased overall, even in MDF.

IMG_20220323_192111.jpg

IMG_20220323_195141.jpg

• Like 7