Father's Day

Andrewcook

Well I'm not; a while ago my wife said "we don't do Father's Day"! Must remember that on Mother's Day.....😳. Just off to paint a bathroom in a student house... 😁

Happy Father's Day to other father's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My boys are taking me to see Top Gun this afternoon,  and then we are all having a nice takeaway this evening 

The last one as a whole family under one roof, as my eldest has just bought a house so will be leaving home in the next month or so.

• Like 2

According to various sources, it started in Spokane, USA by a woman who's father raised 5 kids after her mother died in childbirth circa 1910 and quickly caught on there and here soon after.

However it is also pointed out that...  Father's Day is a holiday of honouring fatherhood and paternal bonds, as well as the influence of fathers in society. In Catholic countries of Europe, it has been celebrated on March 19 as Saint Joseph's Day since the Middle Ages.

Other theories are almost certainly available 🙂

• Like 2

I call it the curse of father's day. A few years ago we were invited by one of my daughters for a fathers day lunch. We had my mother-in-law and grandson with us. We arrived at the agreed time to find that daughter had not put the roast in the oven and that she had bought silverside - often sold to the unwary as a roasting joint, but is actually more suited to pot-roasting. Anyways an hour and a bit later the mercifully small piece of beef came out of the oven. I don't want to sound ungrateful but you could have mended shoes with it. After lunch was eaten, washed up and put away, we decided to take our grandson to the park, where there is a minature steam railway. We arrived and I pulled over to look for the car park, but mother in law opened a rear car door only to have another car run into it. No damage to our car or its passengers but we had modified the front of the other vehicle to the tune of about £200. We eventually parked up only to find that the local gentry had been busy the previous night nicking half the track for scrap metal.

This year looks like going the same way. We went to bed last night to an unforecast violent thunderstorm, which knocked the electricity out, It flickered on and off a couple of times in the night, which set the doorbell going, woke the dog, who went ape, and woke us too. Power wasn't fully restored until 11.45 this morning and, once back, we found that some of our electrical circuits are doing strange things. The dishwasher, which was set to run overnight, was dead this morning, as was the washing machine.  The TV and Sky box have lost their internet passwords and no doubt there will be a few other little surprises before the day is out. 

On the positive side, I received a lovely card from each of my daughters, each beautifully worded, which made me well up and at least we weren't among the army of people who would have pitched up at a local pub expecting a Father's Day lunch only to be disappointed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

And this was the cause of the dishwasher issue. Fortunately I had a like for like replacement in stock and was able to swap them over. It looks as though one of the internal connections in the socket has burnt out. 

IMG_20220619_152717.jpg

36 minutes ago, SteveO said:

And this was the cause of the dishwasher issue. Fortunately I had a like for like replacement in stock and was able to swap them over. It looks as though one of the internal connections in the socket has burnt out. 

Steve if it has got that hot you have had heat from an arc somewhere either a loose pin to terminal. Or if it's not a moulded plug check the plug terminals also to make sure there is no loose screws.

• Like 1

Well although I’m working today , so far I’ve had a wonderful day .

Cards from my children , a bottle of lime gin , some beer , some biscuits , some kiddy sweets , Katie gave me a plate of clotted cream scones (pronounced as in gone) before I left for work at 13:30 .

and when I get in she has made me my favourite chicken , onion , potato and mushroom salad , perfect !!!

A strange Fathers Day for the wife and me today, being the first one that neither of us had a dad alive to send a card to, mine having passed in 2017 and the wife’s on 1st May this year.  Despite the passage of time, not a day passes without my thoughts drifting to memories of my dad and I’m sure that with his passing so recent, the wife has similar thoughts herself.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Steve if it has got that hot you have had heat from an arc somewhere either a loose pin to terminal. Or if it's not a moulded plug check the plug terminals also to make sure there is no loose screws.

I dissected the remains of the socket and found that the arcing coincides with one of the poles on the 2-pole toggle switches which, since they have never been operated since the socket was installed  four and a half years ago, I can only think was due to a manufacturing defect.  The latest thing to add to the list is the cooker, which decided to throw up an error code today instead of cooking my Yorkshire Puddings. I switched it off and re-set it per the instruction manual and it seems to be behaving - fingers crossed. 

6 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

A strange Fathers Day for the wife and me today, being the first one that neither of us had a dad alive to send a card to, mine having passed in 2017 and the wife’s on 1st May this year.  Despite the passage of time, not a day passes without my thoughts drifting to memories of my dad and I’m sure that with his passing so recent, the wife has similar thoughts herself.

I couldn't help but remember the games of chess with my Dad, neither of us were particularly good and in that we were well matched. However this weekly ritual used to be so much more than just a game of chess 🙂

RIP Dad x

• Like 2

Both my Father and Mother, bless them as they have both passed on told me and my sister not to bother with what they both considered American c**p.

Every day was a Father's or Mother's day in my family. When they needed any help or attention my sister and I were always there to help. The same goes with my sister and me, we help and support each other, that is what family is all about which somewhat appears to be missing nowadays. We do not need a day to make up for what may be missing for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Father’s Day is a wonderful invention. Okay, more recent than Mother’s Day, but a good call out and celebration for all those wonderful fathers out there.

One of the things my Mam told me…you don’t realise what you missed. My Dad died when I was 8 months. So all of you celebrating your Dad’s today, just think what a blessing you have/had. 

• Like 5

I told both my boys that I didn't want to see them today, they are both fathers with young children and I would rather they build memories with them.

The grandchildren had other ideas and wanted to pop in to see grandad 🥰

My 6'6" son sent me this earlier

A-father-is-someone-you-look-up-to-no-matter-how-tall-you-grow.jpg

• Like 5

I lost my Dad to cancer when I was only 22, so we had only 3 and a half years of serious drinking time before he was taken.

Yeah my Dad enjoyed a pint or two.

I never did get his whole army career out of him. He lied and joined at 17 in 1927, did his time in Palestine, Egypt, India. Rangoon. Singapore and most places exotic, including Ireland. Came out in 1935 and went into Civvy street working as a barman for a while.

Of course 1939 happened and he was in the reserves and was one of the first into the B.E.F and escaped from La Panne.

Just one 24 hour period I would like with him, just to answer the questions I never got those answers to.

R.I.P Dad one day soon we may get that chat for longer than 24 hours.

• Like 7