"the Database"

JanetAnne

On 27/07/2022 at 10:28, Meantime said:

It can be found here

Funny how I saw this thread this evening when I had earlier been sat outside a broads pub using the database site to check up on a boat I admired.

Good luck in maintaining the website JanetAnne, it is an invaluable tool to boring anoraks like myself :default_norty:

Dave - there is no doubt going to be a cost involved here in running the database, I mean what doesn't cost?

Just an idea I'm throwing out there, what about the NBN having its banner on the first page?  Links to the DB from the NBN and links to the NBN from the DB?

Could the NBN afford to sponsor the running costs of the DB?  I thought it maybe a good thing to have the DB under the NBN banner / umbrella?  I have no idea of the running costs, maybe it's to much for the NBN to cope with fully? Maybe you don't want / need the DB to be linked to the NBN or anywhere else for that matter - I don't know I'm just chucking out an idea out into the Broad to be mulled over

I would hope there are quite a few folk out there in cyber world (Not necessarily NBN members) who would happily contribute to the DB running costs

I would still like to see the DB named after Craig though, even though he is no longer with us, its his legacy. No end of folk - hirers, privateers, hire yards, anoraks etc - the whole shebang have used his invaluable resource at some stage, long may all continue to do so

Fortunately I met Craig which I am thankful for

BTW - I'm rate chuffed you have taken it on, as if you aren't busy enough and had nowt else to do!

Griff

• Like 2

Well done Dave (and anyone else involved). I'd forgotten this needed looking at but good to hear it's been sorted.

No doubt you have the nbn teams support but I'm here if you need me just shout, I am a php developer (the language this is written in).

P.s.. Hope you well and hopefully to catch you one day soon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

would still like to see the DB named after Craig though, even though he is no longer with us, its his legacy.

Great idea, I completely agree. I believe it's widely referred to as "Craig's Database" so it could be named as such.

• Like 2

Just a quick update and a few answers to some of the points above. 

Firstly, your faith in me is quite humbling. I thank you all.

The site, although often referred to as 'The Database' or 'Craigs Database' has always been called 'Boats of the Norfolk Broads' That was Craig's chosen title for it and that title describes the site perfectly so it's probably going to remain. A revised front page with full and proper credit to Craig along with new site contact details will appear on the first update.

The site attracts between 250 - 500k hits a month. Yup, that surprised me as well.

Accessibility and updating: As you'll be aware, the site has had no maintenance nor updates for some time. There is an associated email Addy but the contents were returned to the mailers suggesting they recontacted the site at a later date, (gdpr prevented those emails being forwarded because they were technically sent to Craig and not me). Anyway, we need to make the site more contactable so contact point will now be on the front page from the first update. 

There has been mention of bringing the database into the NBN family. To be honest, this had been discussed at length back in 2020 with the then owner of NBN - (MaxwellIan) and that was the plan at that time.  Since then the forum has changed hands yet again and that is why the database is going to be a stand alone entity. When the current owners of NBN decide to move on , having the database under the same umbrella could be seen as part of the deal. Did that make sense?

You are right though Griff. NBN would be a very attractive partner.

Privacy: Here's the new privacy policy (in my dreams)! This database contains pictures of boats. If you are on the boat and don't want to be we will erase you. If you are in the picture but next to the boat rather than on it and don't want to be, we will erase you. If you are just sat there at your keyboard looking for something to complain about please send us your keyboard. We will erase it for you :default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

That'll get me moderated for sure.

Cheers all

Dave

• Like 22

JanetAnne, notwithstanding that Craig is and will always be the doyen of the database it is exciting that you have picked up the boat hook and to that end I am already fishing out a photograph or two ready to send to the new contact as and when ready for the next chapter.

Thank you Dave!

• Like 1