"the Database"

JanetAnne

It is with a lot of excitement, some trepidation and a hint of sadness that I am pleased to announce that I am now the new custodian of Craigs database. 'Contracts' were exchanged over the weekend and the actual transfer took place today - well is all but finished.

Craigs database was always run for pleasure by Craig, one of the Norfolk Broads biggest enthusiasts, and Craigs wife was keen to see it remain with an enthusiast rather than become something commercial. 

Craig will be a hard act to follow 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11
  • Love 4

That's really good to hear JA, I have been using the database since waaay before I discovered the forums and it is a fantastic resource for those of us with nerdy/geeky/boat spotter tendencies......(ahem)

Will you be updating or just preserving it in current form?

Losing the database would have been very sad indeed and it’s good to know that it’s now in safe hands.  Bringing it up to date is certainly going to take a lot of work and time.  I’m not sure how I can help, but happy to do so if I can.

Perhaps, you could have an update box. Where owners, ex-owners etc could put in a few lines. 

For instance my old boat says last seen 2015, but I used it a few times in 2017 and sold it off The Broads in Febuary 2018.

Just a thought, that it might be an easy source of updated info.

I think before we get carried away with how the database will be updated, we need to give Dave some time to assimilate what he has and how it works at the moment, and to get a team of database gurus on side to assist him, only then we he be able to consider how updates will happen.

the important thing is that the database is safe and its future secure. everything else comes later.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

With current laws does it not need permissions from owners for any info shown online?

The short answer is no in its current format. Which to go back to Grendels point is one reason why Dave will want time to think about how he is going to take it forward. Currently there are no personal details held in the database. My boat appears in the database as does the make and model which can be cross referenced to similar boats and also the current and previous name of the boat. All the information has been collected by observation and meticulous work over the years of taking pictures of boats and studying the history of builders etc. What it does not contain is my name, phone number, address, how much I paid for the boat, whether it has a valid BSS or toll etc. all of which would make it a totally different tool and subject to data protection laws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

With current laws does it not need permissions from owners for any info shown online?

I have a dislike of online databases that show or hold any info other than the bare basics and then I'm still unsure.

No personal information is involved only basic boat description readily available so no data protection.

Fred

My old boat has photographs of both me and my late wife. I would have thought that might run foul of modern privacy legislation as we did not even know that they were being taken.

I don't know